To MRI or Not to MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by maestromusica, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Mathieulh
      Busy

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Avoid that neurologist like the plague, no matter whom he might be.

2. Mathieulh
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A MRI does not "cause" any amount of radiation whatsoever (not that you aren't exposed to background radiation on a daily basis though) and the contrasting agents used during MRI are non ionizing (they do however come with quite an extensive list of potentially serious side effects, though their occurrence is statistically insignificant).

3. Mathieulh
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's quite unlikely, they have however a (relatively low risk) of causing kidney failure or acute kidney damage (among other things). This is why contrasting MRI are not usually prescribed to people with a history of kidney dysfunctions.

4. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly medication
      I have an MRI booked for next month. I called the MRI dept of the hospital. They told me that with the earplugs they provide in place, the MRI level of noise would range from 58 to 66 dB. I have tinnitus due to a ear infection (presumably) but I am concerned about the MRI noise. The MRI with contrast would not be used to rule out a neuroma, I had that in the past. This MRI would be used to assess whether I suffer from cochlear hydrops.

I would like to have that piece of information. Any advice whether I should risk the MRI noise or not?
      Thanks.

5. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      I did one recently and was just fine. I brought my own earplugs, the tech even said that was a good idea. If they let you bring your own strong earplugs, do it. My tinnitus was not affected by the MRI.

6. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly medication
      Thank you, I have 3M earplugs but I need to check the model. What earplugs did you use?

7. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      They were 3M also, they have a clear light green look. I got them from Walmart and actually work very well.

8. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
    9. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Good for you. I couldn't have a MRI even with foam earplugs + earmuffs. That's how my H is, even though I realize most people are not in my case.

BTW Peltor 3M earmuffs, the most efficient ones available, have metal in them. And apart from that, many people with acoustic trauma won't even think of ear protection to do the MRI. They just don't know. They'll use the (poor quality) earmuffs provided IF provided, IF allowed.

I met several ENT doctors who asked me to do a MRI. When I refused, they all admitted that they were certain it would show nothing, given my profile. But that they had to ask for it no matter what. Most of them completely undermine what certain hearing conditions really are.

I'd be glad to learn more about bilateral neuroma being so frequent though.