tormented

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nana, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Hello there! I have been suffering from tinnitus lately. I cant sleep. I m always crying . If I do sleep I wake up with a horror high pitched sound. Its as if someone is screaming in my ear. I need help . I am a mother of two boys and I neeeeed my rest! Will I ever ever have this rest again?

2. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      So sorry about your T , Nana, I feel your pain. You've come to the right forum, lots of information here and
      Very kind supportive people. Please feel free to vent or ask anything you want to. Hope you feel better soon. Xox

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Go and see an ENT straight away and don`t settle for `live with it` answer. A lot of different things might cause T to appear try to find out what was yours ... change your diet, try some supplements ... if it was caused by loud noise exposure you need to act soon.

Than again as you`ll notice, alot of us have had T for years and we are still here and hopeful. There is alot of study going on and I believe a cure is on it`s way.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Thanks for your replies. I went to my ENT told me take ginko and good luck. My biggest problem is waking up during the night with sound screaming in my head. Again I thank you for this forum.

5. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      Have you tried using white noise? Helps a few people, do try it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Thanks for the tip. I tried it in fact. It can sooth me into sleep but the problem is that I am awaken in the middle of the night with that horrible noise then I go into tears.

7. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Go and see another one, and give a call first to see if they take Tinnitus serious or if they have some understanding about it. Who knows what caused your`s, they need to check it out ... it might be blood pressure or wx build-up or hearing loss or TMJ ... did he measure your hearing? did they do any MRI or other type of scans? ... if he just told you use Ginko and try to relax he is not the doctor to go to, for sure.

keep coming back to the forum with any new info, w`ll help if we can.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Thank you nills. Will do that. I appreciate ur support

9. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Nana, while it may be uncomfortable at first, try listening to white noise with ear buds. Keep them in your ears all night long. I do this so the T does not wake me up. Good Luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      @nana, try what @Lake Girl suggested above. That might help. Or have your windows open so that you hear some outside noise as well. You can even try having the fan switched on. Works for a few.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Will try to keep the ear buds on. Thanks

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Its getting on my nerves I cant eat think nor of course sleep. I am desperate. I need something to give me a good night sleep!!!!

13. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      @nana; Try white noise. If you have any Apple device, download an app called 'Relax Melodies'. It's a free app and has an amazing collection of sound samples of various types of sound. If that doesn't help, go see a doc asap. Get some sleeping pills prescribed if it's affecting you too much. Don't get used to the pills though, consider it as a temporary cure for sleeping.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      I think I shld see a psychologist. Its ruining my life

15. lana
      Balanced

lana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June/2012
      Hi nana
      sorry to hear that, how loud is yours? Have you tried hypnotherapy, it worked for my anxiety more as noise wasn't loud, then after I had baby I started to get humming which I hate but am starting to get used to. This thing is awful but I hold out hope that they will find something one day there are just too many sufferers I know at least 5 people.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Thanks lana for the support . Knowing that ppl cld cope with it is reassuring

17. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      @nana; If you decide to go to a psychologist, do so after you see the doc first. Do you get a good amount of sleep everyday or are you woken up from the sound each day? If it's affecting your sleep a lot, you need to goto the Doc first, explain your situation or alternatively, go see the ENT again and tell him/her that the T is affecting your sleep badly and ask what can be done about it.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      I went to the ENT told me take panadol night. There is nothing more u can do. Mind u I am always crying so emotional that this thing will continue to ruin my days and nights.

19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Well your ENT is clearly one of those who know nothing about tinnitus. Panadol, come on!!

For sleep, you may want to try melatonin (which helps some), or camomile tea (which helps some to relax and get a good night's sleep), or an anti-depressant such as Remeron (Mirtazapine). There are several people here on the forum who have benefited from Remeron especially when it comes to sleep difficulties. It might be worth it to ask your doctor about that.

You've already received plenty of good suggestions, and like others, I also suggest making use of sound enrichment. It's a good aid in the night when the tinnitus noise keeps you awake.

Some options:
      Best wishes,
      Markku

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Thank you. Mind u and this is really interesting!!I first noticed my tinnitus when I was in a really stressful period . Well I was reading abt T then suddenly I heard it. Could I be imagining it 9r am I phobic abt this issue.

21. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I understand the idea behind this, but I think it's smarter to get used to falling asleep with tinnitus. I have no problem with it anymore, although it was very bothersome at first. Remember - it's a sound you have never had to "deal" with but that is the stressful part about it. It's neurons misfiring. Our bodies do unexpected stuff sometimes unfortunately. Don't let it get too much to you, for you own sake.

I'd be very careful wearing headphones or ear buds to sleep - while it can be done safely, there are risks; if the volume accidentally increases (many earbuds have adjustable roller knobs) you could do some serious damage to your hearing. I have a pillow speaker that I put under my pillow to avoid any problems with sleeping, although I haven't had to use it since I got used to sleeping with the ringing & bass.

22. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Nana, I'm new to loud T. I'm finding my way through it a day at a time. The first few weeks I cried and stressed and would get anxiety. I couldn't focus on anything but the sound in my ear. I kept checking for it and finally one day I was busy doing something and realized it had been a full 10 min I hadn't thought about it. I started to notice that when I was doing Things I enjoyed it started to fade into the background. It was still there but I wasn't so focused on that dreaded sound. I realized doing dishes with the water running allowed me a kind of quiet. Going outside I was hearing so many other sounds that I didn't concentrate on just the T in my ear. It's only been about a month or so for me, but I'm finding my way. This site alone has given me a sense if safety that I'm not losing it. I'm not crazy. I'm not alone! And I can deal with it, most days now. I can tell you stress can make it worse or seem worse. I use passionflower extract (tincture) at night...I use half of the recommended dose and it relaxes me. I also use something called Rhodiola Recharge at night. The combination helps me to get to sleep and even if I wake up I easily fall back to sleep. It doesn't make me feel drowsy or groggy in the morning. In tiny doses the passionflower can be helpful with anxiety during the day. I'm not a doctor, but this has proven helpful to me and was recommended to me by a woman's health nurse practitioner when I was going through a rough time prior to T. It has proven to be my best help so far for the anxiety and emotional turmoil you seem to be experiencing and the sleepless nights. Good luck to you, hang in there. You have found a great site for support.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Thank u all for ur support.

24. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Hi Nana I can relate to how you describe you discovering your T - I could hear a tone for I think a few weeks when going to bed I thought it was something in the house and ignored it ! When I heard it in other rooms I realised it was me - I then started on this road to and the anxiety and sleepless nights hit!

I've made massive steps forward not without blips and I still struggle with sleep having a bad week with sleep now but I know it's only around the corner a good week !

If I could go back I would without doubt start at the beginning with natural sleep ideas try relaxation ideas hard I know when you feel over whelmed! Some people listen toaudio books for a masking idea - I found white noise tooooo noisy and it annoyed me - so do try different masking ideas for one that works for you

I did end up on zopiclone for sleep but it's only a short term solution as they r addictive but if you do need that level of help then see the doctor. There are things they can do to help you cope with anxiety and sleep.

Good luck keep us posted we are all in this together and it really helps to have people who understand xxx

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Thank you all for your support. I discovered that a lot of ppl hv T. Some were cured from it I dont know how. Others have it on and off. Others got habituated.
      I am relieved from the idea that u can get habituated with it.
      It has only been a week with T I am scared but really hopeful for a better day.

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      That's a wonderful outlook to have nana - you really will habituate if it doesn't go away and there may be bad days, but good days will come.

If you are really having trouble sleeping, I wouldn't feel bad about going to a doctor and getting their opinion on prescription sleep aids. I took some in the beginning and now I don't need them at all. If you're not sleeping it will add to the stress and not let your body heal. Taking them now if you need them doesn't mean you will forever, might be good to give yourself a break!

Take care and feel better!

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      My best frd is a doctorgghhju and she is telling me that I am imagining it all since I only heard when I was surfing the internet for diseases I might hv since I was really so dizzy and we cldnt exolain that dixziness . She told me that u overcame ur dizziness and u can overcomeT bc to her its a psuchological problem. Any thaughts??

28. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      You're not imagining tinnitus, but it's true that you could have made it worse (temporarily) by focusing on it when you were surfing the internet. Many of us who have tinnitus do have some hearing loss and/or cochlear hair cell damage in our ears, and it is very real to us. Tinnitus is brain-based, in that your brain may be trying to recreate a sound that your ears cannot hear, if that makes any sense. But there is a physical component to it, as well.

Everyone here has given you good advice --- find a way to get some sleep, be calm and try not to worry, listen to sounds that might help mask your tinnitus sound. You may wish to take a calming drug, such as Remeron, or a natural supplement to help you in the early stages. Many of us have tried gingko biloba without much success. It didn't work for me. Some calming supplements that have worked for me include magnesium, holy basil, and reishi mushroom capsules. These are more subtle than drugs, however, so you might want to start with a prescription drug right now, until you are able to sleep again, and then taper off that in favor of natural supplements.

We all wish you well, and are here to help, with moral support and understanding, plus the benefit of our experience with tinnitus.

Hugs,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Hi nana, 3 months with T and i've come along way from this T thing ,from people here who has lots of knowledge with it and i would try what they would suggest. when i first got T came the panic attacks, cant sleep and crying.. doctor put me on medication zolpidem for sleep and some lorazapam for panic attacks.. i did not want to be on meds forever after about two weeks i tapered off them and started to do chamomile tea in the day time and sleepy time tea at night and if needed i would talk melitonen 5 mgs and of course my magnesium i also take B12 and it seems to be very helpful for me.... i sleep any where from 9 to 10 hours , waking up twice to go bathroom then back too sleep in about 5 mins. of course i pray every day and night for a sound sleep and a cure!!!!!!! The sleep really is important for sure cause if i don't sleep i notice i'm not so much in a good mood and the T is alot louder.... every one here has good advice and it is a tri

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nana

nana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2013
      Took inductal a sleeping pill. It lowered the T but only slept 3 hrs.i hope I can go back to sleep

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1