Total Hearing Loss in One Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Peter T., Mar 5, 2015.

1. Peter T.

Peter T. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had T in both ears for many years and have had problems getting to sleep but have found sounds like the ocean and trains help relax. But now I got up one morning and I have lost my (total) hearing in one ear. It took a long time before I got to see a hearing doctor and all he had to say was there was nothing he could do.
      But now I have both T&H in that ear and because I have no hearing I cant play any sounds and am stuck with both sounds. The H is louder than the T.
      Has anyone have the same problem and is there anything any thing I can do.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Peter T. Hey man, judging by your post it seems you might not quite know what H actually is?

If you are deaf in one ear you cannot have H (hyperacusis).

'Hyperacusis is a condition that arises from a problem in the way the brain’s central auditory processing center perceives noise. It can often lead to pain and discomfort.

Individuals with hyperacusis have difficulty tolerating sounds which do not seem loud to others, such as the noise from running faucet water, riding in a car, walking on leaves, dishwasher, fan on the refrigerator, shuffling papers. Although all sounds may be perceived as too loud, high frequency sounds may be particularly troublesome.'

Has your doctor tested for everything that could possibly be the cause? If not I would seriously find one that will!

Rich

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter T.

Peter T. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      G'day Rich. You hit the nail on the head, I have everything you have mentioned. I have to wear ear plugs most of the time, I don't know how other people get on when the want to see a hearing doctor but it took me 4 months before I got to see the one I saw. And by that time he said there was nothing he could do. I didn't know anything about this (hyperacusis) till I started reading about it on this web. I am getting another hearing test next week and I get to see my Cardiologist in June which has nothing to do with my hearing but I will ask him what he thinks. So it looks as though I will have to live with what I have for now.
      Peter.

4. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Peter, seriously, hunt down a proper Tinnitus and Hyperacusis clinic, not sure where you are but you should have one close to where you live bro, they can give you a proper diagnosis and point out all your options and give you good advice,(probably no better than the advice you will get from this forum) but at least you will know more of where you stand and weather hearing aids etc will help you.

Try not to rely on ear plugs too much either, maybe smaller custom ones for everyday normal use but definitely good ear plugs if you are going anywhere noisy and try not to wear them at home, relying on them all the time can do more harm than good, but most importantly give your ears a rest from anything noisy to at least give them a chance to heal a little!

I find it perplexing that you just woke up and you were deaf in one ear, did you expose it to anything noisy or on any medication?

• Agree Agree x 1