Traffic and Motorbike on Highway — Need Help with dB Estimates

Discussion in 'Support' started by JanTD, Sep 10, 2018.

1. JanTD

JanTD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Another day, another mishap. I know it’s crazy.

I am visiting a friend and she wanted to walk me to and show me her new garden in an open area. What I did not was that it was about 250 feet next to a highly frequented highway.

First question: Regular traffic sound from cars at the limit of 75 mph? Would that exceed 80 dB at 250 feet? I have looked and found statements like "Levels of highway traffic noise typically range from 70 to 80 dB(A) at a distance of 15 meters (50 feet)". Is this the case?

Second and more important question: There were five or six incredibly, unbelievably loud motorbikes passing also with some crazy revving explosive sounds inbetween. I don’t know anything about these things. What is the loudest dB rating I would have to assume for these motorbikes at 75-80 mph? Are we in the 110db, 120db, 130db, 140 db range? Then I can count in the distance.

We were there for about 30 to 40 minutes in total. The traffic was obviously there all the time. The motorbikes 5 or 6.

Was this dangerous?

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Why not just put in ear plugs before you go? I've had the misfortune of walking to the market and there were a gang of harley people revving and exploding their motors in the parking lot. I just pressed in my ear and it drowned them out, I have not had issues. Wear your ear plugs for protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JanTD

JanTD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I didnt have my plugs with me, my fault. I try to find a balance between using protection and not becoming hypersensitive to sounds that are not damaging.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JanTD

JanTD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry, I cant edit my post but this is the example I found from an actual scientific study and maybe someone who understand these things can then tell me:

Suzuki GSF 1200 at 10 000 rpm (what is that in mph?) is 95 db(A) at 33 feet, which would equal to 125db at 1 foot

Is this a loud one?

5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Oops, based on your first post I thought you meant you are visiting a friend (present tense). If the deed is done, are your ears spiking?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JanTD

JanTD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I'm so focused on damage and anxious that it is definitely louder now :(

7. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If you want a balance of hypersensitive ear and not wear ear protection then this is the result.
      Keep in mind, loud noises are in many places at outdoors.
      Hoping that you may find the answer that you want.
      Just rest your ears and let them subside.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JanTD

JanTD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This is all so difficult. I dont know if this was a real threat in terms of sound levels for damage or if Im just too scared of sound.

So I know now that the explosive sounds were backfiring, which would be at 140 db :( I remember hearing a few of them.

I dont have anyone to talk right now and try to not focus too much on my bad thoughts but it is hard.

The problem is that I can push through spikes in theory due to me being stressed and anxious but there is the constant fear that the situation is objectively damaging and that the spike is due to damage.

The result being damage?

I hear my T louder now.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    9. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In the future, please wear ear muffs or ear plugs if walking in busy street or near highway.
      Right now, you need to rest your ears. Do not expose to loud environments.
      Giving sometime, the T will subside.

10. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      If you have a martphone, at least for iphone, there is a decibel meter app you can get. While motorcycles are loud up close, I do not think they would be 120db, probably 100db. And if at a distance, there is less of a problem. But of course bikes are at a low frequency and you can "feel" the air pressure on your body (head) at times.

Always carry earplugs, and my rule is if in doubt about an area or event...stay away.

• Like Like x 1