Treating Reactive Tinnitus and Hyperacusis with In-Ear White Noise Generators (TRT)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David S, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This can happen and requires some experimentation to see what works for you. Reduce the wearing time to 30 minutes and see how you get on and less if it's needed, as explained in my first post on how to wear white noise generators. It is a slow process but be patient and things will improve.
      You have the right attitude so try to keep to this mindset. Read my posts that I have mentioned on my started threads as they are a form of counselling, and will help to reinforce positive thinking. Try and involve yourself in things you like to do, to help take your mind off the tinnitus and hyperacusis. It is a retraining of the mind and the way you think about tinnitus and hyperacusis through positive thinking.
      The habituation process is a challenge like most things that we are new to but it will get easier.
      Keep trying and don't give up. If the tinnitus spikes keep reducing the wearing time to just 5 minutes if needed and slowly increase.

Michael

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Michael Leigh, what are you feelings about SSRI? I started again because of my depression related to tinnitus.

6-7 years ago I used a noise generator and SSRI (Escitalopram) with good success. I know benzos are not recommended so I will stop taking the small dose that I take occasionally once the SSRI starts to act.

Your thoughts are highly valuable for me.

3. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @David S.

It is important that stress and depression are managed as they can adversely affect the habituation process which I have mentioned in many of my posts. Counselling and medications such as SSRI can help with this. If needed, benzodiazepines can help with this process too, providing they are properly managed.

Anyone that says SSRI and benzoiazepines shouldn't be used to help a person's mental and emotional wellbeing to cope with severity of tinnitus, I don't believe they have any experience of how debilitating this condition can be. Properly managed under the supervision of one's doctor I see no harm with them at all. Benzos can lead to addition if taken too regular with unpleasant side effects.

In 2010 my ENT consultant prescribed me Clonazempam, and advised to only take it when the tinnitus was severe. It helped me immensely. I haven't had any problems with it in 12 years and only take it once every 8 weeks or so now. Two 0.5 mg tablets for a day or two, then stop.

Please click on the link below and read my post: Can Antidepressants and Other Medications Help Tinnitus?

All the best,
      Michael

Can Antidepressants and Other Medications Help Tinnitus? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Michael Leigh, sound generators, SSRI and some wisely used benzo saved me 7 years ago.

I am surprised that for every setback I have I do not go back to my known winning strategy. Instead I run around and chase some kind of dream of being tinnitus free with some new remedy/protocol. I totally forget that the goal is not to be tinnitus free but to live a good life without paying too much attention on my tinnitus.

Thanks for your kind advice and have a good weekend!

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try and forget the thought of being tinnitus free @David S as this can hold you back as you've found. Instead, focus on positivity and participating in the things you like to do and everything will fall into place.
      Hope you have a nice weekend too.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lchops

Lchops Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      Hello @David S, I know this is an older thread, but how is your reactive tinnitus doing now?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I have been around here for almost 10 years. For the second time, I have been treating my severe reactive tinnitus with sound generators with great successes. I now have longer moments where I do not think of my tinnitus at all. I am by far not tinnitus free but I do not live my life in pain anymore. There are a lot of strong opinions about sound generators but for me it’s been the only thing that ever helped. My completely messed up limbic system finally found peace with what’s left of my tinnitus. With some exceptions I live a very normal life today without any regrets.

To all of you that recently got your life completely ruined by this devil sent nerve damage, I hear you and I feel you. You just have to trust us oldtimers that there is a path to a joyful life again.

David

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      @David S, you posted this back in March:
      Then you posted this today:
      Isn't this a confusing and contradictory message?

Just what do you mean by 'success'?

You posted this early in March too:
      Have you still got worsened reactive tinnitus (from using sound generators?) but it simply no longer bothers you, that you 'habituated' to the reactivity?

I think it's important you are clear about this as some might interpret success in treating reactive tinnitus as removing/reducing the reactivity.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      All I can say is that this is by far not a linear improvement. Even though I had had great success with sound generators in the past, it took me well over 6 months until I knew for sure that I was going in the right direction. And now after 12 months I feel a dramatic change for the better.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      A dramatic change in what, habituation to reactivity or a reduction in reactivity or do you mean something else?

I am glad of your 'success' and your 'change for the better', whatever that means for you.

However, your actual outcome from using these sound generators on your reactivity, from what you have written, remains unclear.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I will try to explain this better. After 12 months with sound generators:
      • Overall mood: Significantly better.
      • Reactive tinnitus: Much better.
      • Sound sensitivity: Better, I used to use soft earplugs 24/7. Now I only use them in the city and when driving my car.
      • Tinnitus: Same or a small improvement. It is hard to say. I have days where I feel that my tinnitus is much lower but it is not constantly lower yet.
      • Medications: I'm still on a low dose of Escitalopram. No benzos, but Imovane for sleep.
      I live my life very normally now compared to 12 months ago when I was a wreck.

What have you tried so far? Any sound generators? How do you perceive your reactive part?

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Does driving with earplugs in amplify your tinnitus and cause you any anxiety?