Trial Study of Hearing Aids Effectiveness in Association with Ginkgo Biloba Extract

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tigo, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      Abstract
      INTRODUCTION:
      Tinnitus is defined as the perception of sound without its actual presence in the environment. It has been the subject of a great number of studies, especially considering its consequences on patient's quality of life.

OBJECTIVE:
      This study aimed to investigate the effect of hearing aids and/or Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 on tinnitus in patients with hearing loss.

METHODS:
      This is a trial randomized-controlled treatment, parallel, double-blind, with three-arm. Thirty-three adults subjects were divided into three groups: group 1 - subjects undergoing drug therapy with G. biloba extract EGb 761; group 2 - individuals fitted with digital hearing aids; group 3 - individuals submitted to drug therapy with G. biloba extract EGb 761 and using hearing aids. The tinnitus handicap inventory and visual analogue scale were used to evaluate self-perception of tinnitus loudness and severity before treatment and 90 days after treatment.

RESULTS:
      This study demonstrated a significant correlation between tinnitus handicap inventory and visual analogue scale, before and after treatment. We observed a significant improvement in self-perception of tinnitus loudness and severity after 90 days of treatment with G. biloba extract EGb 761 and/or hearing aids. No correlation was found between tinnitus onset time and self-perception of tinnitus loudness and severity. Hearing aids were more effective in patients with a shorter tinnitus onset time and G. biloba extract was effective regardless of tinnitus duration.

CONCLUSIONS:
      It was possible to prove the effectiveness of the hearing aids and/or G. biloba extract EGb 761 treatment, which shows success in the control of tinnitus contributing to the improvement of this symptom.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31300303

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. tarmaced
      Wtf

tarmaced Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004 (mild) 2018 (not so mild)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections, compounded by noise exposure
      @JohnAdams - Was it you that didn't have any joy with Ginkgo?

I was wondering if I should try this with my curcumin. Am never sure what to believe though...

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I tried it and it seemed like it took the edge off a little.

• Like Like x 2