Tried Thought Field Therapy?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Per, Oct 4, 2013.

?

Do you know the cause of your condition?

1. Acoustic trauma / inner ear damage

50.0%
  2. Stress and/or mental trauma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Medication

50.0%
  4. Will probably never know what caused my condition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Could be a mix of several causes

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I have just finished reading a thick book about Thought Field Therapy (TFT) This therapy type was developed by an American psychologist by the name of Roger Callahan:

Dr. Roger Callahan, Founder of TFT | The...

It amazes me what results this type of simple treatment have on numerous central nervous system disorders and "chronic" physical pains. The concept is based on getting energy levels in our bodies to "flow" again so it can promote our own ability to heal ourselves. I'm the last person to run after stuff like this, but I picked up the book because I was at the library trying to find something on somatic stress, 200 pages later I was rather amazed by what I have read on TFT. I've checked if this therapy is offered in my country and it is, however the "established school medicine" is trying to work against it, for uncertain reasons as it obviously helps a lot of people. Someone in the pharmaceutical industry trying to protect their income again?

I'm a novice on this so I was curious to see if anyone here on the forum have tried TFT it to fight T? As a lot of us don't yet know what caused our condition it is difficult to know what type of treatment approach to pursuit. I'm a firm believer that stress and mental trauma can create much trouble to the physique so if the energy levels (we are after all energy) or the electricity that flows in our bodies can be re-charged so to speak, it can potentially affect a destroyed balance or "flow." If stress can cause T by itself then treatment methods that focus on these aspects could be very interesting, same goes for the character of the T. If it gets worse by a constant stress level then TFT could be the type of method to heal or reduce that part of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I did actually try this years ago and It made absolutely no difference to anything let alone my tinnitus. Stuff like this sometimes seems to be effective for some individuals for certain conditions but in my opinion anything that happens is likely a placebo effect. Having said that it is not something I have researched in any real depth so maybe I'm being a little dismissive. If you try it please let us know how you got on.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Molan,

The book I read on this topic actually embraced placebo, if placebo would lower my T levels I would to. I really believe TFT could be way more than psychology cause so many people are benefiting from it, even medical doctors trained in western traditional medicine. There was actually several doctors that secretly snook back to the TFT therapist wanting to try it after he had a speech about it, and they became well from all sorts of physical pain. Beats me Molan. Those doctors were rather amazed themselves of course.

Did you try TFT and finger tapping based on the original treatment concept? If it was to cure T I'm not shocked it didn't work. I don't believe it will, I'm just saying it can help lower stress symptoms, thus creating a lower T. To me that would be a big deal.

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Interesting, Per. I personally believe that things like cognitive behavioral therapy, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, and other mental or emotional reconditioning techniques could be a big help to some tinnitus patients, especially those who have stress or anxiety coupled with their T. Like Molan said, I don't think it will work for everyone and its not a cure-all. But CBT certainly has helped me. I was thinking of starting a therapy, relaxation, mediation thread to gather others' experiences with these techniques, and I will check out TFT.

Here is an NPR piece on MBSR:
      http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...us-when-the-ringing-wont-stop-clear-your-mind

It was sent to me by a good friend who is a retired firefighter. He is working with a local university to set up a program for others retired in that profession -- which, like the military, subjects men and women to high levels of stress and noise.

5. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:

It was quite a long time ago but I think I did both the original and some variation's that claimed to be a more simpler and effective version of the original method. I recognise one of the videos on the sidebar from magnus tapping that was sent to me to try. I honestly experienced nothing from it but many people do so there could definitely be something in it. If it helps you though Per that would be fantastic! Anything that could help lower stress levels and doesn't cost a fortune is definitely worth trying.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Molan,

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know anything about TFT before I came over this trying to see if I could pursuit any somatic treatment concepts. When I read about the effects it had on numerous conditions I was really skeptical, but when I read trustworthy witness reports from former athletes and such I started to give it more credentials. When I was trough reading that book (Scandinavian author and therapist, not translated) I felt more open.

I must admit that I'm quite often afraid of trying T "treatment" concepts in fear of being disappointed, it could potentially lead to worse places. I have however promised myself to not overlook anything that I really think carry an improvement potential. I've signed up for a Skype distance somatic T assessment the 01.11 (gotta watch that computer speaker level). It's the stress related aspects of my condition I'm trying to resolve. I have one more ENT assessment to go as well, but that is basically what I have to do to get a referral to an audiologist.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @LadyDi,

Interesting report and article, I also read the debate forum. No doubt that relaxation methods will benefit T. It's actually quite hard to relax when it becomes an exerciser, I've always admired those who can walk on glass just because they have blocked out the pain trough meditation. Wouldn't it be great to be able to do the same with T? And perhaps even for weeks or months at the time?

I think meditation is more my thing compared to other activities like yoga for instance, the latter is too painful on my shoulders as it often incorporates gymnastics. With shoulder pain simple stuff like leaning into a wall with both arms could represent a problem.

Mediation seems like a very practical, cheap and accessible source of stress relief cause I guess I could learn to execute sessions by myself.

8. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Saw the op post didnt bother with anything else ,as an open minded person this is complete b......cks.
      This TFT was the start of the EFT emotional freedom technique........oh dear god.

Did you know at one time Callaghan was selling his skills for £100,000 yep you read it right.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @carlover,

And how many £billions do pharmaceutical companies earn on creating mental diagnosis? They have literary constructed hundreds of mental "illnesses" which is not proved scientifically, biologically or medically. They invent them in large annual conventions! It's a multi billion industry and they hate when they loose patients to other treatment methods. Retired GPs have written honest books on this topic.

If a physiologist spend ten years with a person trying to resolve stress issues with little or no result, thats okay. If TFT resolves the problem in 5 sessions it's dangerous and not real. Go figures. I would stand on my head singing bird is the word if it meant bettering any severe condition. After I posted this thread I've read so many serious and credible sources coming out sharing their stories on TFT, to me it seems very interesting. Traditional medicine can't show for much, it's just hyped up by pharmaceutical companies wanting to sell drugs. In my country acupuncture was nonlegal in 1974, so was chiropractor services. It was defined as nonsense, backed up the huge pharmaceutical industry (no wonder). Today the national sport association use both disciplines on a regular basis, and with GREAT success. Actually one of the sports doctors that used to be connected to this national environment works with TFT today and have top athletes on his client list. He actually preformed it with several world and Olympic champions whilst he was still on the associations pay list, when they found out they dismissed him - although the athletes made huge progress with it.

All I'm saying here is that it's interesting to look into other sources of treatment when the traditional medicine has zero progress in so many areas. I'm not saying stuff like this can cure T or H, not at all. What I'm saying is that it carries great potential when looking to increase the life energy, thus making it easier to cope with what we suffer from. On the 01.11 I'm going to have my first session with someone who deals with somatic T, that's not even a diagnosis with any ENT, they can't think outside their black box. What if my T&H gets better because I'm treated by someone who believes that stress and mental trauma could generate physical damage to the facial nerves, the inner and middle ear anatomy? They would hate it, I haven't met an ENT or a GP that's been happy to be wrong yet - not one. Thats says a lot.

10. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Per your not wrong relooking so Ill tell you I spent £300 on this nonsense with a "master" oh yes ive sure spent money on my t thats for sure. Then because she thought I might add spark to the group she invited me to a two days training course she was doing at no cost to me for free.After the first day Imade a polite reason why I wouldnt be able to make the 2nd day.These people re deluding themselves and ill explain why.

Lets say someones got an issue any issue they give it a number say 8 ,they then tapaway and say their sentences then the practitioner says how does it feel now ,and thy might say 6 then 4 and 2 hey those feelings have gone all gone in a fewminutes.Deary me. Its all about compliance ,they dont want to upset the practitioner and are also maybe deluding themselves as well.Id like a follow up in a few weeks ,maybe a week how do they feel then.

I could go on all well meaning people living in dreamland,sorry per.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @carlover,

Thanks for your input. As I wrote, I'm not saying this is a cure but I am saying traditional medicine have zero progress in so many areas but still we keep taking the same pills and become increasingly ill by taking them - but no one is raising critical questions. Chemicals prescribed by "doctors" actually kill people on a daily basis, I hope youre aware of this. TFT has not killed anyone as far as I know. When people try other sources of treatment people start yelling about fraud and what not even before they have investigated the treatment or talked to anyone about it. In youre case it didn't help, but that doesn't mean it can't resolve to something positive for someone else. It's the same thing with chemical medication. What works for some individual may very well be damaging for someone else. We are okay with not being healed by traditional medicine but it's a nightmare when your not healed by other means of treatment? I've never understood that logic, or lack of logical reasoning. After reading even more on the topic of TFT I feel it's more than just nonsense, on the contrary it seems very interesting why so many people get so much better from it.

If you had shoulder pains for 20 years and you have taken EVERY medication there is with no success. Is it then just pure luck if TFT or ANY other "alternative" treatment concept works? Is it the power of mass suggestion or placebo? Fine. Then I would love to have some placebo or the wonderful result of mass suggestion please. I'm not that fuzzy about HOW, I'm just interested in getting results. When I woke up with T&H I was so badly affected that I went to three different churches to get healed by prayer. Although I never go to church I was willing to try cause a life with a terrible noise in my head and the physical agony of severe H was intolerable. I was in the midst of a a group of praying Christians and my tears flooded. When it never turned out to heal me I kept on, I went to even more Churches etc. It never worked. Well, at least not so far anyhow. But should I have avoided going there? Don't think so. I think I did the right thing. So what if it worked? What if even it was pure placebo or some other weird reason? I don't care - would you have cared?

I like to be careful of what I believe in and a bit of healthy skepticism is good, but why are we so blind when it comes to traditional medicine swallowing any bullshit any GP or ENT are feeding us? Believe me when I say I've been fed huge amount of baloney from GP's and medical people coming from the traditional medicine environment. They have been utterly wrong more times than I can count, doctors that have been very eager to diagnose so that they can prescribe pills they receive a fat commission from prescribing. Now THAT'S fraud. I don't hear anyone trying to stop that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Couldn't agree more , Per !

13. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Per im with you a 100% and believe me ive done it all I think, apart from prescription drugs and the oxygen thing. I have a degree in traditional chinese medicine,I tell you that to let you understand I do get where your coming from.I wish you and everyone on here best of luck,Pete