Tried to Be Normal Today — Went to a Boat and Sport Show — I Feel Like Crap Now

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Went to boat and sport show today... Of course I was nervous as hell with all the people but I had earplugs in my ears the whole time.

But as soon as I got there of course someone started talking on loud speaker doing a presentation as soon as I walked by...

I don't know how loud it was but it shocked me and now I feel like crap going into that crowd and being normal. I'm fearful all the time now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's inevitable that we're going to be faced with situations that are not good for tinnitus. I attend race expos and there's always someone ranting on about something over the PA system. Speakers are notoriously bad for my ears as well so I try to minimize the exposure. Having the right earplugs is a smart step.

3. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Many had said T is just a stupid noise and habituation eventually happens once you detach emotionally from it. I wish it were just a stupid noise. I can't say for everybody, but mine is a "live" noise that keeps reminding you its presence by always staying a notch above other noises, gives you discomfort that you can physically feel right at the ear, and when it physically interferes with your hearing other sounds, it just baffles me how that can be not bothering for those who habituated. It gets tiring to be mindful all the time about the surrounding noises, loud or not loud.

4. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Speaking from my own experience (right now, actually), it's just your own worrying that's spiking the tinnitus, not the tinnitus being worse.

I've been through that same thing several times, and everytime it's tough to cope with, even though experience tells me that it'll return to normal. Sometimes in a few days, sometimes it takes several weeks or more.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you sure loud sounds can't eventually make one's T worse?

6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I never said that. Of course loud sounds can make your T worse, I know that from personal experience as well. I'm just saying that it's very likely that his hasn't gotten worse and that his worrying has triggered a spike. Especially since he says that he was wearing earplugs.

And, like I said, I also know how hard it is to cope with. I'm going through the same thing once again myself.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree that it is most likely a temporary spike. But ignore T long enough, and eventually the spike might not be temporary...

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You did well on going out and protecting your ears.
      I think the general anxiety about going to the event spiked it but you can overcome it by getting out more and enjoying life again.
      Keep plugs with you for when you need them .
      Love glynis x

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Yes it only lasted one day. Very low again this morning, thank God.

10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Jason37 ,
      I hope it has given you confidence to get out more and just keep plugs handy.
      Your sicial skills and confidence and general anxiety will get better the more you go out.
      Love glynis x