tRNS, The Next Neuromodulation Method

Discussion in 'Research News' started by daedalus, Jan 7, 2014.

1. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nills, have they done qEEG/loreta, or just EEG, from my level of knowledge first one is far away advantage, and can locate exacly place where hiperactive neurons are?
      and that statement that neuromodulation has better results than TMS is strange for me :S

2. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I asked if it was lorreta, they said yes ... but somewhere I think they didn`t know. I had to wear a hat with electrodes ... remain still for 5 minutes and than the computer registered the activity. I suspect it is around 20-30 pints of contact. not more ... i think lorreta has up to 60 something, no?

I will look for lorreta here in belgium and try that one too ...

it was like this

child_eeg.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, Loreta has about 50+ pins as I know... I expected much more from bra2n clinic... Our member @Christian78 had a right saying that they are just technicians... It is obvious that they do not follow new researchs, abt pontassium chanels, new drugs etc.. :S

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      it`s actually TDCS of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation they advice ... repeated sessions ... of course

• Like Like x 1
    5. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I Hope that EEG (whatever it was Loreta or not) is gonna locate that places of hiperactivity, and that tDCS is gonna help you!

Keep us informed about treatments progress!

btw. Figure-640x360.png this is diference TMS and tDCS :

• Like Like x 2
    6. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    7. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Switzerland dr jeanmonod had 46 pins and it is like more MRI

Belgian is much smaller, not 3D, less centers covered

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      For anybody that wants to try tRNS or the other neuromodulation modes at home:
      http://www.diytdcs.com/tag/trns/
      http://www.foc.us
      It is not easy to get the T3, T4 configuration for the electrodes, but one can get an idea of what these methods are about.

9. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Nills, I need help from you , as your fellow TT sufferer. I want to ask you a question about bra2n clinic. Is it possible?

I beg you

10. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      stimulation doesn`t mean excitement ... stimulation can also induce a lowering of activity ... like a massage can stimulate a region of the body and releasing energy ... it all depends if the electricity rate or pulse is higher or lower than average ...

11. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Bumping up this thread because of a trial that has been going on in Regensburg Germany since 2015 with expected results in December 2017: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02615600

Any members on tt that have attended this trial in Germany???
      ...and if yes... what are your experiences???

SmartSelectImage_2017-05-28-12-41-31.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    12. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      This is something people may be able to replicate themselves with relatively cheap devices available for purchase online. There are many internet pages devoted to exactly this sort of 'brain hacking', particularly those seeking to enhance cognitive functions, rather than necessarily looking for tinnitus treatments.
      Of course, people would have to follow the protocols precisely, lest they succeed in making things worse. I have no doubt the technically minded on TT could find ways to try this out on themselves.

13. Kekistan

Kekistan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What exactly do you need?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      @Kekistan, if you check out InfiniteLoop's post a few posts above this one, you'll find a link to a business called foc.us. These folk supply DIY neuro stimulators that you can buy, which will perform various brain stimulation modalities including trns. There are a number of companies selling various types of devices. As I said previously, you need to place the electrodes and follow the protocols precisely to mimic the study. You can also read up on the process on a few sites dedicated to neuro stimulation 'brain hacking'. It's a whole sub-culture of people doing all sorts of experiments on themselves. It quite fascinating actually.

15. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The efficacy and safety of multiple sessions of multisite transcranial random noise stimulation in treating chronic tinnitus

Abstract
      Introduction
      Random noise stimulation was reported as the more effective and safer type of electrical stimulation techniques in relieving tinnitus symptoms. The multisite protocol of transcranial random noise stimulation has shown additional favorable effects.

Objective
      Here we will discuss the role of applying eight sessions of multisite transcranial random noise stimulation in decreasing tinnitus loudness and annoyance without exerting additional adverse effects.

Methods
      Twenty-nine subjects (8 female), the mean age of (45.34 ± 9.57) with chronic tinnitus received transcranial random noise stimulation in the multisite protocol, 10 min of auditory-transcranial random noise stimulation applied over the T3, T4 preceded by 10 min of prefrontal-transcranial random noise stimulation applied over F4, FP1. In the first group, only one session was applied and the multiple-sessions group contained eight repeated sessions. Visual analog scale scores for loudness and distress were recorded before and immediately after the treatment. Multivariate repeated measure ANOVA test was used and minimal detectable change calculated.

Results
      There was a statistically and clinically significant reduction in tinnitus loudness and annoyance in both groups (p < 0.05, effect size (η2) > 0.8), while the amount of annoyance suppression in the multiple-sessions group was significantly greater than the single-session group. The patients of the multiple-sessions transcranial random noise stimulation group reported an improvement in their sleep and lower tinnitus handicap inventory scores without experiencing any additional adverse effects of the intervention.

Conclusions
      The results of this study showed a substantial improvement in tinnitus symptoms by using the multiple sessions of transcranial random noise stimulation in the multisite protocol without producing any additional side effects. We suggest further clinical trials with long-term follow-up be investigated.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1808869418303598

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. cicou
      Wishful

cicou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not clear but hearing loss is probably one of the causes
      No placebo control group?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      There's an upcoming trial in Switzerland for people with tinnitus. It's a study that's focused on bimodal stimulation (HD-tRNS and acoustic stimulation). Everyone who speaks fluent German can participate in this trial. Perhaps this is of interest to you, @Sevv.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Transcranial electric and acoustic stimulation for tinnitus: study protocol for a randomized double-blind controlled trial assessing the influence of combined transcranial random noise and acoustic stimulation on tinnitus loudness and distress (Kleinjung et al., 2022)

Abstract
      Background

Tinnitus is the result of aberrant neuronal activity. As a novel treatment form, neuromodulation is used to modify neuronal activity of brain areas involved in tinnitus generation. Among the different forms of electric stimulation, transcranial random noise stimulation (tRNS) has been shown to be a promising treatment option for tinnitus. In addition, recent studies indicate that the reduction in tinnitus can be more pronounced when different modalities of stimulation techniques are combined (“bimodal stimulation”). TRNS can be used in combination with acoustic stimulation (AS), a further treatment option recognized in the literature. The aim of the proposed study is to investigate whether simultaneous tRNS and AS improve levels of tinnitus loudness and distress.

Methods
      The intervention consists of bilateral high-definition tRNS (HD-tRNS) over the auditory cortex combined with the application of AS which is studied in a crossover design. The visits will be performed in 26 sessions. There will be 20 treatment sessions, divided into two blocks: active and sham HD-tRNS. Within the blocks, the interventions are divided into group A: HD-tRNS and AS, and group B: HD-tRNS alone. Furthermore, in addition to the assessments directly following the intervention sessions, there will be six extra sessions performed subsequently at the end of each block, after a period of some days (follow-ups 1 and 2) and a month after the last intervention (C). Primary outcome measures are analog scales for evaluation of subjective tinnitus loudness and distress, and the audiological measurement of minimum masking level (MML). Secondary outcome measures are brain activity as measured by electroencephalography and standardized questionnaires for evaluating tinnitus distress and severity.

Discussion
      To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study which uses HD-tRNS combined with AS for tinnitus treatment. The crossover design permits the comparison between HD-tRNS active vs. sham and with vs. without AS. Thus, it will be possible to evaluate the efficacy of the combined approach to HD-tRNS alone. In addition, the use of different objective and subjective evaluations for tinnitus enable more reliable and valid results.

• Like Like x 2