TRT in the US?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hartje5, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Would you fly to US for TRT (if you were European?)

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      As I live in Europe in a country where TRT is not available I'm thinking about coming to the US for treatment. The trip, the stay, the treatment is going to cost me a lot, probably all our savings. Are there people on this forum who have done TRT? Can you tell me your experience?

Would you fly all across the globe for it?

2. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Since I do not believe in this treatment and think it is one of the causes why we do not have a cure yet my answer is no.

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Do you need to fly accross the globe just to hear someone tell you to live with it and listen to white noise ?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I agree. Not worth it, but everyone is different.

5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Rather than coming to the US, you might try the Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Centre in London http://tinnitus.org/help-appointments/ (I understand it has recently become less expensive to visit the UK!)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can you find someone that does therapy over the web?

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @hartje5: Surprised they don't have some version of TRT in Europe. They have quite a few clinics that deal with tinnitus, especially Germany. Fact is, though, there is no conclusive, viable research that proves TRT -- or anything else -- works for tinnitus. All though some people claim it has helped them.

What follows is my opinion: I don't think any unproven treatment is worth draining your savings for. If you have the bucks and want to give it a shot, fine. But you are talking about a considerable expense -- and a considerable impact on your future.

You also have not had tinnitus for very long; you very well may be feeling a lot better by the time you get to the end of the year. It took me a solid year to feel even halfway normal again. If it was me, I would first try more affordable options available closer to home. Look into do-it-yourself notched sound therapy coupled with cognitive behavioral therapy. That is very similar to TRT and a lot less expensive.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you all!

I decided against going to the US. I've met my psychiatrist yesterday and the treatment on offer here doesn't differ that much from TRT. I'm going to start a 12 week CBT based group training. If needed they will guide me through my journey with a more personal approach (EMDR/Mindfulness) after that. I've met with my psychiatrist three times now and he seems very knowledgable on T. We talked for a whole hour yesterday and I have a new appointment in two weeks time.

I've read somewhere that my T can't be treated with TRT sound masking devices because it is really really high. So I might not have been a good candidate anyhow. Going to Germany is not an option (can't speak German) but London might be more affordable after the Bretix. I'll keep my savings for now, I'm gonna need them because I might lose my job :( by the end of May.

9. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      Forget about TRT. It's BS, it won't make your T go away. The entire protocol is basically nothing more than hot air and it's practices can be applied DYI style. You will habituate naturally in time. Be patient and treat yourself well.

The psychiatric approach you mentioned is the best option. Once you take away the tention, the anxiety and the depression T stops being a monster and becomes nothing more than an occasional small annoyance ;)

All the best,
      m

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MarioT
      No depression and no anxiety, that sounds like heaven! What you are saying is what is generally believed here in The Netherlands. I just cannot see yet how I could ever live with this sound in my head and not be bothered. Hope I'll get there some day.

I've read some of your posts. Are you habituated?

11. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
      @hartje5 TRT is available in the netherlands as far as i know

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Onnie Can you tell me where? I haven't found it yet. Only the Intoears clinic in Tilburg seems to do offer it. I checked and they are not in the list of people who took the official TRT training.

13. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
      Yes, the company is called into ears. I had a few appointments in Tilburg but in the end I decided against it because I do not want to wear in ear maskers. Besides that there were a few other reasons as well. If you would like to know more you can Pm me, I'm a little better explaining myself in Dutch.

You could also visit the tinnitus departement at the University hospital in Utrecht. They offer something similar to trt.

14. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      A general misconception is the idea of habituation being a state. In reality it is much more of a continuous process.

I cannot claim that I am habituated in the sense that my T does never ever bother me anymore.

On the other hand though I can say that I experience days, sometimes even weeks where I am totally unaware of it and life returns back to normal although I have a relative severe case of T. It is only because my brain filters it out not because the noise disappeared.

I have a top tier job, go to parties and I am dating again like I once did Pre-T.

...And I can do all that regardless of having a good or bad T day.

I found out that it is 50% about state of mind and the other half about leading a healthy life.

So in a way, yes, maybe I am habituated. And if I can do it, so can you my friend. Just be patient. try to calm down first. In time it ll become less of an issue ;)

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MarioT
      I'm still really petrified of the T and H I had in the beginning. Had heart surgery that went totally wrong and on top of that got T and H so bad I completely lost it and wanted to die. These feelings triggered a deep fear in me because my dad committed suicide. I think I lost some sort of basic trust in life last year.

I used to be a really fun upbeat positive person. I wonder if I can get that and my trust in life back.

You sound like you're really back on track!

16. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      @hartje5 in many cases T appears to be more of a (at least partially) reversibel psychiatric condition rather than an irreversibel otologic one.

I too Deal with light H when my Stress levels are through the roof.

It sounds to me that yours might be such a case where Depression and anxiety are the real cause of your brain going into overdrive.

CBT and proper psychiatric support are the best choice for starters.

Even though you are in full panic mode now, trust me, you WILL get back to normality.!!!

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Mario, really, really needed to hear that :huganimation:.

18. Athena
      Bookworm

Athena Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unspecified
      @hartje5 @Onnie i read you are also in the Netherlands.

I was recently diagnosed with T but my housedoctor does not know anything about it, where to refer me or how to help me. she said she understand that i am upset, there is nothing i can do and she would write me a referral to anywhere but i need to do the research.

Could you share any experiences with any good hospitals , ENTs' or centers?

i found the "intoear" center and the librarevalidatie" in eindhoven but i am not sure if this is the way to go forward. these centers have a specific treatment and if i visit them they will only advise for that treatment. (without sure if this is the best)

i would feel much better if there was an experienced ENT (KNO) doctor to advise me on a treatment.

19. Tim Hogan
      No Mood

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Botched Acoustic Reflex Test (Severe)
      Id rather save my money for either a real cure or Acoustic Nueromodulation, i hear that has better results.

Therapy is not worth paying for