Trying to Figure Out Why My Tinnitus Suddenly Increased

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JOHN MILTON, Oct 4, 2020.

1. JOHN MILTON

JOHN MILTON Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Over a few days my tinnitus, which is high pitched, suddenly increased.

One easily avoided cause was taking an online hearing test to see how high a pitch I could hear. That would be 10 kHz. Listening to higher pitches loud enough and long enough brought on more tinnitus - using headphones made things worse - so I avoid these but still get tinnitus.

I've gone over medications I take - Caffeine pills were a recent addition that I now avoid.

Looking over a list of meds bad for tinnitus I found Ibuprofen, which I use occasionally for severe arthritis, so I'm reducing it unless really needed as a test.

Noisy (impulse noise) motorcycles (oxymoron?) are suspect - but the meter the local police have, has never been used "because no one knows how to use it" - there are laws on the books indicating legal limits but as usual it's not the laws or the police, but the enforcement.

This is just part of my ongoing research, including the internet and Tinnitus Talk from which I've learned a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. james J
      Depressed

james J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      outside high pitch sound
      I think I got tinnitus doing that sound sweep 10htz to 20khtz using a Bose headset, dunno but I think that was the beginning of my downfall.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JOHN MILTON

JOHN MILTON Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      James: I agree. I did the same with Sennheisers only the pitch started at 20 kHz and went down, so I had no way of knowing where to set the volume. These sweep tests should come with a warning, at the least.