Two Weeks from Acoustic Trauma — Prednisone Helps: What Happens to My Tinnitus After the Treatment?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stuburt, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Stuburt

Stuburt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2.5 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Folks,

As with everyone here, we're all in the same hell. Funny how you have no idea what something is like, let alone even think about it until it happens to you.

My question is, and this is really just reassurance seeking to quell my anxiety at this point:

I had a bad acoustic trauma and my tinnitus was so bad I was almost throwing up, losing sleep and not functioning in any way.

Started Prednisone on Day 8 after the incident and within 2 days noticed a massive reduction in the volume.

The most frustrating part is that I am receiving a pile of conflicting medical advice like you wouldn't believe.

One doctor says that the Prednisone is going to stop my body's natural healing process.

I am worried that I'm going to be making my situation worse and setting myself up for heartbreak and possibly a new worse baseline then right after the event, once my Prednisone taper wears off.

I am terrified that I'm continuing to use my ears that haven't fully healed back in everyday life and this is further increasing the damage.

However after reading these forums, I knew that my time window to try Prednisone was slipping away, therefore I went with the course of the treatment.

Its volume is drastically different and I feel I am very luck to be able to say that at this time.

Is it totally masking the problem and my body is going to go straight back to hell when I finish the Prednisone?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
      Blessings to all this journey has only begun for.

2. LugPaul
      Sleepy

LugPaul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/18/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I was you I'd spend some time researching the medication you're taking. The fact that you have had a reduction in volume is a good sign. There's not much you can do aside from staying away from loud noises and hoping for the best.

Regards,

Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stuburt

Stuburt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2.5 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Fair enough Paul. I’ve researched the crap out of everything endlessly to no avail. The most frustrating part has been the endless contradictions I’ve received regarding treatment.

I have a taper for prednisone so I guess I’ll just have to wean off of it and hope it stays down.

Thanks for your reply.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stuburt

Stuburt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2.5 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys,

Prednisone has in no doubt reduced the volume for my tinnitus after my acoustic trauma.

Obviously I can’t be on it forever and one doc says it’s prolonging the healing of my perforated ear drum.

Any thoughts?

I guess I’ll have to taper anyway since I can’t be on it forever.

Do you think it’ll slow healing and makes membranes weaker?

Thanks,
      Ian

5. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Prednisone is a strong and serious drug, you should not be on it any longer than absolutely necessary.

Some people say their tinnitus increases after stopping prednisone, others say it doesn't make a difference. Nobody can know how it will go in your specific situation. We aren't clairvoyants here unfortunately...

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      At least @annV isn't talking about suicide this time.

7. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Hi Stuburt,

Prednisone, like any steroid, *does* slow the healing process. But that's exactly why you're taking it: because the body's natural healing process after an acoustic trauma can actually cause some of the effects of hearing loss and tinnitus that you're hoping to avoid. Think of it like the swelling you can experience after you break a bone: the swelling is both the body's natural reaction to the injury, and also an effect that can make the injury *worse*. And so we ice to keep the swelling down. That's what the Prednisone is doing for you: it's preventing the body's natural neurophysiological response to the acoustic injury. Taken for the first couple of weeks, it can sometimes help stave off worse long term effects.

But yes, you do have to come off of it. Moreover, at some point there's no reason to remain on it, because the neurophysiological response is over. How long were you given the Pred for? A 10-day taper? That should be enough, and all you can do.

Will your tinnitus come back stronger after? Unlikely: if anything, Pred is known to *increase* tinnitus while you're on it. It certainly did for me, and after I came off it, that's when I noticed a decrease in my tinnitus volume. But as Ann said, different people have different reactions. But there's really know reason to be scared to come off the Pred. Taper like your doctor ordered, expect a couple of side effects for a few days (fatigue, nausea), keep ear plugs on your key chain... and move on with life.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Also: I just posted an 8-week update on my own tinnitus, with daily symptom stats. It may make you feel better to see it: there has been a slow but steady decrease in volume and pitch throughout the 8 weeks.

Cheers,
      Matt