Two Years and Struggling

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Karaann, May 24, 2018.

1. Karaann

Karaann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure-started suddenly 5 days after spinal surgery
      Hi, my name is Kara and I have had tinnitus for two years. It came on suddenly a few days after neck surgery (which I now regret) so I think it was medication induced. It has completely affected my quality of life. I cry hours a day, etc.

I have to take pretty serious sleep meds to sleep after going 10 days without sleep and being hospitalized. I can't explain how bad this is-I have had hard things happen before but this is excruciating and 24 hours a day. I am obviously very depressed and anxious about it. It has led to other health problems too.

My strong Christian faith has saved my life-I believe God is working all things together for my good and something glorious will come out of this suffering someday. However, each day is a struggle.

I just wanted to introduce myself. Communicating with people with the same problem and reading people's stories helps you feel less alone.

My latest thing is finding out about habituation-if I can somehow stop the automatic stress reaction the noise creates maybe it will help. So I ordered a book on habituation tonight.

I also plan to really try to exercise a lot. And continue to pray :)

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Welcome to the forum. I am Christian also and holding to that has helped me "survive" the last 6 months. Keep the faith and pray.

Outside of faith I would suggest you may want to talk to a therapist. They can introduce coping methodologies like CBT and DBT. While this will not resolve your T it can help you cope better. At one point for months I was very desperate and suicidal. The therapy really helped me get past that. While not perfect it's a start....

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Karaann Hi Kara: I'm so sorry for your struggles. If you are willing could you provide what was done per your neck surgery. What medications that you used afterward and for how long. Any hearing loss before or after the surgery. Have you had any follow-up testing on your neck. Bless you.

• Like Like x 1
    4. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Kara: I prayed that you wold have peace. God bless - douglas

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Karaann
      Welcome to the forum and I'm so deeply sorry to hear of your distress and suffering. I know all too well that feeling of anxiety and depression.
      A couple of questions - do you have hearing loss? If so, are you wearing hearing aids?
      Is your tinnitus maskable or do you hear it above most things?
      Some more information on your situation will help us here at the forum to offer you some advice where we can.
      You are not alone.
      Sam. xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I feel sorry for everyone with tinnitus but as a mother who knows how much this suffering affects my family my heart breaks for other mothers!
      This is not easy!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I am a Christian too. We may not see this during the darkest time but in Romans 5:3-5 we learn the meaning of sufferings in our life. I wish to share my struggle and success story over my ultra high pitched loud T plus severe hyperacusis with you. Hopefully you will find hope and strength to solider on. Take good care. God bless your recovery.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
    8. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certainty of what we do not see" - Hebrew 11:1

There are many Christians also suffer tinnitus and hyperacusis.
      Each day may be a struggle and may be in shaky faith.
      2000 years ago, Hebrew Christians were facing the same situation during Roman persecution.
      The script reminds them and also us to have FAITH IN GOD
      and endure it with glorious hope (Romans 5:4-5).

May God bless you all.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      :huganimation:

Glad you have your faith
      Would echo the advice to get counseling, CBT helped me a lot with anxiety

• Like Like x 1
    10. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      Karaann, I also had neck surgery and developed PT shortly after. Tinnitus is like a heavy back pack placed apon my shoulders. At first it was painful to carry, it tired me out, and kept me from continuing on my way. As time went on I became stronger and now it is less of a burden. The best advise I can give you is to stay busy, β€œfor every step you take today, is one less step you have to take tomorrow β€œ. It helps to get mad at it sometimes to fight it. Think of the Forum as your life raft that will support you during your stormy times with T.
      I know this is a hardship that you bear,
      And there are many others here that care.
      Hoping you have better days TinA#7oct

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1