Understanding the Music of Neural Communications Could Solve Brain Disorders

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Nick Pyzik, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      I decided to try and find some published work online about music and the brain today while it was slow at work.

I came across this article which was posted on May 21, 2015: http://www.forbes.com/sites/thelabb...ion-could-solve-brain-disorders/#1e6f2e82442e

This is nothing new or could be so called exciting, but it was very interesting for me to read. With what's happened to my hearing, I can only think back to all the times, recent and distant, in which certain music made me emotionally connect to this world in such a euraphoric way. It hits me deep down inside everytime I think back to my amazing experiences with listening to music and also creating it. It's sad to think that some of those experiences were so recent. Those memories are very missed by me.

More and more I keep telling myself and finding out just how much "Sound" is influential to our brain. Our sense of hearing to me, is much more than what science thinks of it. Frequencies, waves, rythyms, and time/speed. All associated with music and all associated with how the neurons in our brain function.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Interesting read.
      I like the analogy with the "tuning in on a radio station". I can relate to that. I used to build my own radios and transmitters, so did a lot of tuning in. :) In radios (oscillators are important in a radio or transmitter) I understand synchronisation, locking, tuning in, etc...
      Quote: "Sort of like how the radio can sound like noise until you tune into a specific frequency, some of our neurons also seem to pay special attention to different brain rhythms." End quote.

Also this caught my eye: Quote: "hypersynchronization can happen when there’s too little noise," End quote.
      So when there is too little noise (signal) from ears, Tinnitus could be the outcome. Part of the brain is not tuned/locked in any-more and we hear static instead. I believe this is also suggested in different other research. Or Am I missing the point completely?

After reading the article I was asking myself this question: The more researchers find out and explain about mechanisms in the brain the less emotional it gets. We try to explain emotions by "dissecting" all the processes in our brains.
      In the end we are all machines? If a computer gets powerful enough, will it become emotional? Never the less we are not Spock or Data from Star Trek and usually I don't want to be.
      I say usually. Sometimes when the hearing problems are dominating again my desire is to "stop" emotion and "start" rational.

But in my opinion researchers should continue seeking explanations and this article was a good read.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Science is good and fine and has its place in our lives. But if you dissect anything too much, it can appear to take the "heart" out of it. Naming and labelling and studying something down to its very last (seemingly, and then the quantum world "appeared" one day) part, is not really the same as KNOWING it, or, simply, EXPERIENCING the totality or essence of it.

I am reminded of the fable of a scientist who challenged God by saying that he, the scientist, understood all the mechanisms of the life force and the materials that went into creating life, such as carbon and hydrogen and amino acids and how to structure DNA and etc. The scientist told God that God wasn't "needed" anymore, and that the scientist himself would be able to "create" and "build" a cricket. The scientist said all he needed to do was to put the raw materials together the right way, that it was as simple as that, and no great "miracle."

God accepted the challenge, and told the scientist to get to work proving it.

So the scientist squatted down to take up a handful of dirt to begin to get the carbon, etc.

And God said, "Uh, no. I created these materials. You have to use your own raw materials."

:) :) :)

Rest assured, we are not machines. Our emotions cannot just be reduced to a bunch of chemicals. Yes, they are there to signal us. But they also are linked to the creative impulse, for instance, and are why music and art is made.

One could argue that there is absolutely no REASON for music to be created. It doesn't serve any "purpose," one could say. It doesn't warn us, like other noises, about the wild animal in the dark.

But what DOES it do? It brings joy. THAT, if we need to ascribe one, is the purpose of music.

Why creativity? Why wonder? Why magic and mystery and music?

Because ... We have souls. Many of the greatest (and wisest) scientists not only accept that, but celebrate it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As a matter of fact, I am not bothered by this notion that I could be "just" a complicated machine. This notion will not alter my emotional experiences.
      For me personally I am not yet sure if I see it like that. I will give it more thought. I wonder if I can "switch of" the rational and just experience the emotional. Even when I know why I like (as an example) certain music. It could be that I enjoy it even more? The feeling of euphoria after a Eureka moment is intoxicating. I need to feed my brain:pompous:
      I remember reading somewhere that music and the fact that we experience harmony and disharmony can be explained by mathematics. Although some musicians challenge these "laws":confused:. For me this didn't take the joy out of listening to music. (And also experimental music out of curiosity. I have an inquisitive nature).
      That is why it is not often that I think something is utter nonsense before reading more about it (if I am interested).

What if, in many years (if mankind is still alive) science can explain pretty much everything about biology (understand and thus able to explain all processes in living creatures). Does that al of a sudden alter who we are and what we experience?
      That reminds me of the song: "in the year 2525" (Exordium&Terminus)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Reinier It's surely an interesting topic(s) all around! I appreciate your inquisitive and open mind. It's fun to explore things ...

As to the original post, it really is fascinating how sound/music is interwoven with existence. Right back to that primordial "aum" that is chanted in India, etc. And how ultrasound is known to help with the knitting of fractures in long bones. And how cat purr sounds have healing qualities. And how music reaches people with communicative challenges by cutting right through "verbal" language and getting straight to the heart of the person's mind. It's often used to open pathways for people with dementia.

And how I can look at a photo that has emotional connotations (especially sad ones) that I have kind of moved on from, and then, just add some moving background music, and I am in tears! Heck, I work in an elementary school with older kids, and sometimes I'll stop in to the cafeteria to watch the end-of-year slideshow with music that they hold for the "graduating" pre-schoolers about to move up to kindergarten, and even if it's a room full of kids and parents I don't know, as soon as I see those photos of babies growing into children, along with the inspiring music, it's waterworks for me!

Music ...

There is something purely essential about it.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After reading this I understand better when you say you can dissect/explain too much. I do think it is in human nature to do so anyway. At least for some people. Yet, like I wrote earlier, I think I can still forget the rational and enjoy the emotional.
      Also I agree wholeheartedly that music for a lot of people can evoke powerful emotions and/or memories.
      For me at the moment it mostly reminds me of things that used to be. Not very positive, I know.
      Sound mostly bothers me now. All my CDs are still tucked away and I am pretty sure this will not change for the foreseeable future.

This forum has proven to be a welcome diversion:thankyousign:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Reinier , I hope that music will be able to come into your life again some time. Something tells me it will ...

I agree that it's in human nature to think about and take apart and put together everything. The world is a treasure-house for discovery, and we like to explore. And that's just fine. And then to sit back and simply enjoy is fine too.

<3

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      It's not really a mystery----one frequency cancels another frequency---if identical. If you have 8000Hz but run 6000 Hz, you have a residual 2000Hz--the 6000 is cancelled out.

Short of an ossiliscope, I bought an old radio frequency counter. It often reads 60Hz --which is probably the inaudible electric service noise when I touch it, but 0 on everything else. When I'm having bad T, it reads 600-800 Hz off and on acting like it is pulsing but if I touch it--it reads 1250 to 2500 Hz constant. A container filled with liquid shows the same effect...if I am touching the other side of the container and will go back to normal after.

What registers on the ear--could be liquid behind the eardrum--picking up frequency. I get blurred vision when T is bad. The eyeball is susceptible to frequency just like a container. Whether the frequency is from within or external, I do not know. My front tooth where my T centers from and bothered after dental work-- picks up even higher numbers that make no sense at all.

The cancelling music can help if it is made with inaudible frequencies or frequencies of sound that happen to cancel some or all of the residual T frequency.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That only happens if the two frequencies are locked to each other and there is a phase shift between the two frequencies of exactly 90 degrees. If it is 180 degrees the outcome will be a doubling of the amplitude. It gets more complicated with two different frequencies as you can imagine.
      If the counter reads 60 Hz, you see the mains. In America and Canada it is 60 Hz. In Europe it is 50 Hz.