Unexplained Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew21, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Hello all,

I'm Andrew, early 50's. In early August I experience sudden hearing loss in my right ear on a Saturday night listening to records having a few glasses of wine.

Next morning, I had ringing, very muffled hearing and ear fullness, no vertigo or dizziness.

I experienced no loud noises I can remember, or virus's prior to this. I always wear ear protection at concerts, using machinery etc. Had my last COVID-19 Jab (AstraZeneca) 2 months before and also have not had COVID-19 (yet)

The hearing did seem to come back somewhat rapidly and an Audiogram a few days later should a loss down to 60 dB starting about 4000 Hz. In practice, I can tell it actually starts at about 4600 Hz (using an online tool) and I can't hear anything above 5000 Hz now. I don't feel this hearing loss really affects daily life though.

Due to waiting times I arranged a private ENT appointment but this wasn't until about 4 weeks after the loss. The ENT consultant gave me steroids but said it was probably too late. However, he also said it's a bit hit and miss as to their effectiveness and said the hearing recovery I did experience may have happened equally with or without them if that makes sense.

First couple of weeks were pretty awful and I worried constantly about it as I am a bit of a hypochondriac! Didn't seem to affect sleep though and still doesn't so not sure if I have a mild case.

3 months on and the fullness has gone and I'm used to the hearing loss.

Only thing is the tinnitus still seems to be there but its now settled down to a sort of 'hiss' with the occasional bits of ringing now and then. I try to live healthily and take a good range of vitamins to counteract. Hoping it may settle down further but who knows.

Next steps for me are an MRI to rule out the acoustic neuroma thing.

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to share my experience and I wish everyone on here good health.

Andrew

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. It is fortunate your hearing restores after sudden hearing loss and your didn't suffer vertigo. I had SSHL too but not lucky enough to have hearing restored. So my balance is a bit off and there is a constant rumbling jet engine like tinnitus besides the original high pitched one. Life goes on for me though.

Hope you will improve too and best wishes for speedy recovery. God bless.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1