Unilateral Tinnitus of Uncertain Origin (Maybe Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?) — Going for an MRI

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ollie_77, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Ollie_77

Ollie_77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I'm 44 & I've had tinnitus in my left ear for 12 months now. My right ear is fine. I initially went to the doctor when it first started and she said my ear canal looked inflamed. She gave me some ear spray but it didn't help the tinnitus at all. I went back and she said it would probably clear up by itself.

So I left it 12 months and it still isn't any better. I went to see the doctor again (a different one to last time) and she said unilateral tinnitus is a red flag and she's sending me for an MRI scan. She did a few neurological tests (follow the finger, blow out my cheeks, asked if I have double vision) and that was all fine. I haven't had a hearing test or been seen by an ENT, I've only seen my GP. But I have to admit I'm freaking out a bit over the MRI. She was just very blunt about it when she said "This is a red flag, I need to send you for an MRI as soon as possible".

She looked in my ear and also commented that it was inflamed (otis externa) so she gave me some different ear drops to before. She seemed to think that this was unrelated to the tinnitus however.

Despite being worried about the MRI, I personally wonder if the tinnitus is related to Eustachian tube dysfunction. When I blow my nose that ear often pops. Sound is also sometimes muffled and can be relieved by me holding my nose and blowing which again causes it to pop. In those times it feels a lot like I'm on an aeroplane which is landing. I also sometimes have a dull ache in that ear but I'm not sure if that's related to the inflammation she mentioned. I do not experience any vertigo / dizziness.

I've always kind of had a problem with my ears, when I was young I had constant ear infections and when I go on a plane my ears don't just pop during landing, they feel like they're going to explode. I have literally been doubled over in pain, almost to the point of tears before and it takes days for them to return to normal.

The tinnitus itself is always there but sometimes it's hardly noticeable whereas other times it's very loud, always the same tone either way.

The only other thing I can think of which may be worth mentioning is that high pitched sounds sometimes cause pain in that ear. Just a short sharp pain. It doesn't happen all the time though.

If anyone has any advice or experience I'd be very grateful.

Sorry for rambling on.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. koffee_monster
      Sleepy

koffee_monster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure or Ototoxicity
      Hi!

I'm very new to this support forum and am still typing my introduction post.

I can't comment on your question about the Eustachian tube dysfunction, I have no knowledge about this.

However, I would like to inform you that MRI machines can get quite loud, definitely if your neck or head is being scanned. Most people will not have lasting effects from the loudness of an MRI machine, but given everyone on this forum has had issues with their ears at some point, taking precautions may not be a bad idea.

I would recommend you to bring (foam) earplugs. You should receive ear protection from the staff, often they use earmuffs for this. Your earplugs can be inserted into your ears under the earmuffs to ensure proper protection. Make sure to insert them properly, look up a video about it if you're not sure how to.

The machine may also vibrate during the scan procedure. If you believe this may be an issue for you, you can always ask if they can put a blanket or pad under your head. Some scans allow for this, others do not. But asking doesn't hurt anybody.

Keep us updated!

All the best!

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry too much about the MRI. I did it during my recent episode of SSHL and the ENT recommended an MRI to check for possible acoustic neuroma. It is loud for sure but bearable and not hurting my tinnitus especially I follow the same precaution as mentioned above to use good foam earplugs under earmuffs. So don't worry about it. The anxiety for it may do more damage to the ringing than the actual MRI.

Also I am not sure why your ENT thinks unilateral tinnitus is a red flag for something. It is very common to have unilateral tinnitus and millions have it, some louder than others. It can be caused by many factors, some having nothing to do with medical emergency, such as drug side effect, exposure to loud sound, neck muscle problem, TMJ, ETD, anxiety and stress, vitamin or nutrient deficiency, allergy, sinus infection, etc., etc.

So take it easy. Take care. God bless.

4. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Ditto that.