URGENT! Could a Few Minutes at 90-100 dB Have Made My Tinnitus Worse? Or Is It Just Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Support' started by worriedd, Sep 28, 2016.

1. worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid, from a cold. No noise damage or infection.
      So yesterday I got a lift and for a few minutes they were blaring music in the car until I asked them to stop. I checked my ears immediately to see if they seemed louder, but they didn't. Then last night I started to notice my ringing a lot more, and it's continued throughout the day. I'm 90% sure this is just me being anxious and listening more, but I'm not sure how to stop. Do you guys have any ideas?

2. Tim Hogan
      No Mood

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Botched Acoustic Reflex Test (Severe)
      Probably a spike, but then again anything can happen depending on the current state of the ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it's best to monitor the situation a while longer and see if it settles down. I remember going to the cinema for the first time after getting T. The first advert caught everyone by surprise because it was so loud and so sudden that I was worried about my ears even before the movie started. For a few days after the movie, the T sound was probably louder than usual, but everything settled down nicely.

4. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Give it some time to return to normal. With any luck it may just be a short spike. Do not panic and try not to concentrate too hard on it. The more you listen for it, the more you will hear it. Glad you told your friends to turn down the volume. Now you must play Father Hen and warn them about this loud music and how sensitive your middle and inner ears really are. Warn them they had best smarten up or end up on Tinnitus Talk with the rest of us!!!

Regards and best wishes.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid, from a cold. No noise damage or infection.
      Thank you everyone for your replies, you have made me feel a bit better! I think this is likely an anxiety spike because they seemed to get worse when I went to bed, not actually after it happened. It's more that I'm hearing the tinnitus more than its actually louder, if you know what I mean.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Hang in there bud! I have had to talk myself down more than a few times. Usually it's along the lines of 'ok I heard some loud noise, but what's the chance it would permanently make the exact same frequencies of my pre existing T louder?' Then I consider how anxiety does exactly just that.