Using IEMs (In-Ear Monitors) to Block Out Noise and Reduce Occlusion Effect Vs. Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LateNightArt, Nov 23, 2020.

1. LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      I tend to try to use ear plugs when going outside around traffic but the occlusion effect is a pain and i feel a bit self conscious about them. So I have been wondering whether it might be a good idea to use some vented in ear monitors to hopefully help to block out some noise and keep them unplugged, not playing any music.

That way, I feel like I could be more comfortable wearing them everywhere, because it will look more normal.

I am wondering how effective this would be, as surely them not being totally sealed would of course let in a bit of noise, but wouldn't it also reduce the occlusion effect that you get with ear plugs because they let some of the pressure out from being vented? Maybe it could be a good idea to use ear buds with noise cancellation that I can adjust depending on where I am, but I'm not sure if ear buds with noise cancellation is a good idea.

I just want to be able to wear them in social situations while looking normal and being able to talk to people without hearing my own voice resonate. I'm unsure what to do.