Valsalva Maneuver Caused New Squeal Noise Which Is Louder When I Insert My Finger in the Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JoshuaD2002, Jul 5, 2019.

1. JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. You may recognise my name. Have had tinnitus for some time, likely due to stress, though I believe I have an auditory processing issue, which I'm following up medically. I'm 16. Please read carefully.

I'm curious regarding some valsalva maneuvers in July 2018. It was at a time where my ears felt like they needed to be cleared, as I've always had eustachian issues. However, after popping them on a July day in 2018, I got a squealing in my right ear. The main feature? It's much louder when a finger is inserted. Even in a silent room. I still experience this today, a year on.

I'd never had an issue with the valsalva before, and I can't say whether the squeal has been there every day since July last year, but I have it today. The same thing. Much louder with a finger inserted. Seemingly ever since valsalva a year ago. This particular valsalva was quite loud, but I didn't push that hard, and experienced literally no symptoms other than the squeal.

I've seen a lot of things like "round window tear". Well, I think I'd be having far more symptoms if that were the case. I do not recall any fullness either. The pop was just fairly loud and with moderate force. Nothing huge. No muffledness at all, but a squeal that is sometimes only noticeable with a finger in the ear.

What could've happened here? It's been a year, but surely no inner ear damage could've happened. Perhaps I triggered, or escalated some ETD issue? The key thing being that this squeal loudens upon finger inserted into the ear. How is this still a thing one year on from one valsalva?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone with any opinions?

-Valsalva manoeuvre July 2018, not that forceful, but quite loud
      -Squealing in right ear made louder by putting finger in, kinda ever since July 2018, though I think it's been pretty on and off
      -Eustachian issue? Permanent damage? It has been a whole year now. Done valsalva since then without added problems.

I do remember that the July 2018 my valsalva was moderately forceful but nothing major, and it gave a light but loud pop in the right ear. No other symptoms.
      @Bill Bauer auer @glynis

3. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That's 1 year so. You must've been to an ENT till now. Have you? In your case it's best to see a professional ENT. Anyway the standard is if you do valsalva forcefully it may damage your ear drum or something. I was told by a pro ent to do valsalva to relieve the ETs pressure but it was my case and yours is definitely different. Stop valsalva and go to an ent ASAP.

Good luck

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, what do you think happened? I haven't seen ENT because I have had health anxiety which meant I've been focusing on other issues. Should be seeing one by end of year though.

5. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sorry but I don't find waiting long before seeing a doctor rational. I don't really know what happened just want to tell you the sooner the better.

I wish it's not permanent and you can recover ASAP.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's not rational proposing the possibility of a permanent issue and not suggesting what this could be? Do you believe the inner ear could've been affected? I'd argue that more symptoms would have to be present. Are you thinking eustachian tube issues?

Prefer you wouldn't use "recover" as though I'm unwell. This pressure sensitive tinnitus is minor, and we know how long it takes to see an ENT. There is no hearing loss and there was no other symptoms.

If you are going to suggest I see an ENT and "recover", please suggest what you think happened when I did the valsalva a year ago.

7. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hey dude even after a cold or flu one needs to recover. No offence meant! This is just the way I say it!

What are you looking for exactly? Would you be happy if I told you it's ETD.

Noone here can tell you what's wrong!

As I said earlier you MUST go to an ENT so they can see inside your ears and possibly do some tests lile tympo or PTA. Some people say Tympo should be avoided and there is a debate about it! But Typmo itself I don't think is so loud.

Look I can't tell you for example there is a problem with your ear drum, guess why?

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you've been dealing with this condition for a year and now is the time to head to a hospital or a private ENT if you are really seeking help.

P.S: I don't think there is an online ENT here.

Good Luck

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am mainly curious to know if you suspect an inner ear situation. I've seen the countless ridiculous suggestions of oval window tearing. Do you see this as a possibility on the table?

9. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I do really have no idea.

10. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      Hey, Joshua, if you search up "Valsalva maneuver" and "inner ear barotrauma" you can find many links explaining the danger behind the Valsalva maneuver if done too forcefully. I doubt you ruptured your oval or round window considering you don't have any signs of sudden deafness or vertigo.

Unfortunately for me, I seem to have a problem where everytime I belch, air also goes up forcefully into my left ear canal, causing the eardrum bulge out. This is sometimes followed by a spike, which tells me even if I don't rupture the eardrum it can still cause harm of some kind to my inner ear. I suggest you avoid using the Valsalva maneuver from now on and use the Toynbee maneuver, which involves pinching the nose and then swallowing, much safer than the Valsalva maneuver.

Concerning the ENT, I don't think he'll find anything if your eardrum isn't torn, and he cannot inspect your round and oval window without performing an invasive surgery. Let your ears rest and avoid any strenuous activities for now, especially any that increase intercranial pressure like lifting weights, and as for the squealing you could take NAC, which may or may not help with the ringing. Hope you get better.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm beginning to speculate, lying here in bed with the same squealing that appeared to be triggered by July 2018, whether I put too much pressure on it? I remember it being quite tricky to do, but I've been hyper aware of any symptoms since I developed health anxiety and can confirm no other symptoms took place. Again, putting my finger in there makes it incredibly loud. It's pressure sensitive. Likewise, weirdly, pushing down on the outer flap seems to make it almost disappear? What sort of issue would you expect this indicate?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. You may recognise my name. Have had tinnitus for some time, likely due to stress, though I believe I have an auditory processing issue, which I'm following up medically. I'm 16. Please read carefully.

I'm curious regarding some valsalva maneuvers in July 2018. It was at a time where my ears felt like they needed to be cleared, as I've always had eustachian issues. However, after popping them on a July day in 2018, I got a squealing in my right ear. The main feature? It's much louder when a finger is inserted. Even in a silent room. I still experience this today, a year on.

I'd never had an issue with the valsalva before, and I can't say whether the squeal has been there every day since July last year, but I have it today. The same thing. Much louder with a finger inserted. Seemingly ever since valsalva a year ago. This particular valsalva was quite loud, but I didn't push that hard, and experienced literally no symptoms other than the squeal.

I've seen a lot of things like "round window tear". Well, I think I'd be having far more symptoms if that were the case. I do not recall any fullness either. The pop was just fairly loud and with moderate force. Nothing huge. No muffledness at all, but a squeal that is sometimes only noticeable with a finger in the ear.

What could've happened here? It's been a year, but surely no inner ear damage could've happened. Perhaps I triggered, or escalated some ETD issue? The key thing being that this squeal loudens upon finger inserted into the ear. In my opinion, this is blood flow related. It'd explain why it takes time to appear even in silence, and the loudening with a finger.

Oh by the way life is good right now don't worry.