Value of MRI-BUN

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by reesmicm, Feb 6, 2018.

1. reesmicm

reesmicm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age, but unknown
      EMT requested me to take a MRI Brain / Head Attention IAC's without then with Contrast along with BUN + creatinine venous.

Ran through a whole series of test since I noticed tinnitus roughly 6 months ago. Ride motorcycles for many, many years, and have had no issues/accidents that could result in trauma-related issues. I am sixty years old now, so I expect some hearing loss on the low end. EMT says sensorineural hear loss, bilateral, tinnitus of both ears.

EMT said on one test he would expect some numbers to line up with each other, don't recall what they were, but I think it was a series of four numbers in 85-100 range for each ear. They are supposed to be very close to each other.

Not afraid of the MRI, but don't see the value of having a $995 MRI performed which I have the cover all the costs thanks to Obama Care high deductibles. Since there is really no cure or procedure to eliminate tinnitus, having every test in the book doesn't seem to be of much value.

2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I was about 60 when my tinnitus started, similar story, lifetime noise exposure, no trauma, moderate hearing loss. I went down the MRI road and as expected found nothing. They are likely looking to rule out an acoustic neuroma.
      https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acoustic-neuroma/symptoms-causes/syc-20356127
      Probably not going find it but they like to rule it out. I had decent insurance at the time so I went for it but if I had to pay I might not have spent a grand on it. There are a lot more symptoms than hearing loss and tinnitus. One side benefit of the MRI, if there's any question about TMJ causing it, you can show the MRI to your dentist to rule that out as well.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      reesmicm

reesmicm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age, but unknown
      appreciate it. My dentist does check for TMJ, not really an issue if I recall. Just hate to spend a lot of money to rule causes out especially since they can't really do anything about it anyway.