Vertigo and Tinnitus — What Kind of Tests Can a Neurologist Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mikel, Feb 23, 2015.

    1. Mikel

      Mikel Member

      Tinnitus Since:
      I have been terribly suffering from vertigo and after waiting for weeks I was eagerly going to my appointment with the neurologist.

      Then all he did was to knock on my knees and toes. He asked me to follow the torch with my eyes and some other simple tests while I was laying down and that was it. He concluded: "From a neurological perspective I can't see anything wrong with you"

      I told him that I did some tests at home which I found on the internet and it seems my whole balance system is not working.

      He didn't try to diagnose my vertigo but he did give me medicine which is supposed to be a last resort. It's a calcium channel blocker and I have to say that it helps with my migraines and lowers my tinnitus volume.

      So what other tests could he do? I am thinking of requesting an EEG.
    2. AUTHOR

      Mikel Member

      Tinnitus Since:
      I just had my second appointment because of loud noises I hear inside my ear when touching my neck. He took a full 5 minutes for an ultrasound. Everything is alright, he can't do anything else.
    3. cullenbohannon

      cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

      Tinnitus Since:
      have you seen an ent?
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. yaom

      yaom Member

      Tinnitus Since:
      dont know
      There are two types of vertigo (Central and peripheral), central is caused by the brain and peripheral by the ear.

      Central can be ruled out by a neurologist with some tests (probably the ones he did), on top of vertigo you'd have other symptoms like ataxia, passing out, strong headaches etc. (if you dont have any indication of it and your neurological exam was ok then most likely is not central vertigo) which is good, you dont want to have that one.

      onto peripheral (peripheral vertigo caused by the ear), a neurologist can not help you much with this one, you need to see an ENT who can do EEG, caloric test, balance test to determine which ear is affected... if your vertigo is caused by BPPV chances he/she will fix it with some maneuvers, if not is likely labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis (do your eyes move from side to side or up and down?) this is called nystagmus (not always you need to have nystagmus)

      go see an ENT, vertigo is their specialty... neurologists work with the brain.

Share This Page