Vertigoheel

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Fish, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Vertigoheel on Amazon.com

I would like to ask - has anyone of you ever tried a drug called "Vertigoheel"? It is available in liquid and a pill form.

One person in polish health forums claims that it gave her a full albeit temporary relief from tinnitus symptoms.

It is to be taken 8 pills in total, 1 pill every 15 minutes(!) and it apparently works when tinnitus is of vascular origin. I do not know anything else about this drug though and I could find little information about it. Not getting my hopes up, to be honest...

EDIT: I found the drug insert online and in the indications it says "lowers symptoms of vertigo, motion sickness and tinnitus" :eek:

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Fish,

No, I haven't tried Vertigoheel, but I am interested in anything that might help tinnitus of vascular origin! I just googled it, and read some reviews. Apparently, it works very well for relief of vertigo in persons with Meniere's disease. The people who have used it give it 5 stars, and say it really works well to relieve vertigo episodes.

I'm thinking about trying it. I take several supplements now, including a homeopathic one for ear ringing. Instead of ordering more of the Ear Ringing formula, I might order some of the Vertigoheel, and see if it works.

Are you considering trying it?

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi Fish and Karen,

Another drug used to treat vestibular disorders (like Meniere's) with tinnitus is betahistine. Here's a reference to a 20011 study that found the drug efficacious: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21860977

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Hello Karen,

After this one person claimed Vertigoheel has helped her, at least two others used it too but they say it did nothing for their tinnitus. Just like you mentioned it seems to be most effective for Meniere's disease symptoms. I don't have many other options available (except those radical ones) so I think I might give it a try anyway. It is not very expensive and doesn't seem to have any serious side effects.

Hi Jazz,

A head doctor of laryngology in a hospital in my city is a tinnitus researcher who studied betahistine extensively and according to their study the prolonged use of this drug (3 months+) has a 34% effectiveness rate in treating tinnitus. I used it for 4 months (24mg twice a day) and my tinnitus is much better than it was before. I cannot however attribute it to betahistine since it wasn't the only treatment I did at the time. It is a safe drug and I would suggest everyone with tinnitus try it out for at least a month.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, Jazz and Fish,
      Yes, I've read about betahistine, and it sounds like it is effective, especially for those with vestibular disorders. I don't have a vestibular disorder myself, but I'm willing to try something that might work. I'll probably try the Vertigoheel to see if it does anything to reduce my tinnitus, since it appears not to have any real side effects.

Fish, if you do try the Vertigoheel, I'd like to hear how/if it works for you, and I'll do the same.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Will do Karen.

I have ordered 50 tablets. I just learned you don't swallow them but keep under the tongue.

7. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      It's homeopathic fish. That's why you let it dissolve in the mouth.

Will be interested in your results.

8. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I had vertigo some months ago... not fun. Had tests by doctors... not reasons found. They think it was stress. Then my dog got vestibular disorder Jan 1. Antibiotics and prednisone worked to treat it. Nasty disorder. dizzy!

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Calin --- Are you completely over your vertigo? Did they think it had anything to do with Meniere's?

I had some vertigo and out-of-balance experiences, too. The doctors never figured out what was causing it. Lately, I've been going to a chiropractic neurologist, and he found that I had a brain imbalance (cerebellum). After corrective exercises, my balance is much better.

10. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi Karen!
      The dizzy spell was fierce once night and faded the next day, but my head didn't feel right. I wouldn't turn my head quickly, etc. By the time I had the VNG test, it was almost over. Very weird! They gave me exercises to do for vestibular disorders but I didn't have to do them. I got no antibiotics for it... they said there was nothing wrong with my vestibular (inner ear) workings. I stopped taking the melatonin when that happened. I suspect it could have been due to using it too long. And I only took 1/4 of the strength each night.

Hmm.... cerebellum imbalance. Wow... how many times do you hear that one??!! You are special my dear! ;) Kidding aside, I am happy to hear things are better now for you.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Calin,
      I'm glad to hear you no longer have the dizziness. It is quite scary when it happens, isn't it? Melatonin, huh? I didn't know it could have that effect with long-term use. I guess it's a good idea to switch off of various supplements after you've been taking them for awhile. I'm glad you're feeling better now!

As for me, yes, I always knew I was a "dizzy brunette", but not to that extent! The doctor had me do various eye exercises, etc., and lots of testing and retesting until my balance was corrected. The exercises seemed simple and subtle, but they worked!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Just a heads up - I finally have my Vertigoheel, will give it a try tonight. In the name of science!

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the update, Fish! I'll be interested to hear if it works for you.

14. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Fish is fearless

many of us have played with our brains like a childs chemistry set...oh the different "substances" ive tried

fish, best of good luck to you!

15. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hmmm its a strong H3 histamine antagonist (and a weak H1 antagonist)

and i read this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709632/
      "Abstract

Background

Histamine-related drugs are commonly used in the treatment of vertigo and related vestibular disorders. The site of action of these drugs however has not been elucidated yet. Recent works on amphibians showed that histamine H3 receptor antagonists, e.g. betahistine, inhibit the afferent discharge recorded from the vestibular nerve. To assess the expression of H3 histamine receptors in vestibular neurons, we performed mRNA RT-PCR and immunofluorescence experiments in mouse Scarpa's ganglia.

Results

RT-PCR analysis showed the presence of H3 receptor mRNA in mouse ganglia tissue. H3 protein expression was found in vestibular neurons characterized by large and roundish soma, which labeled for calretinin and calbindin.

Conclusion

The present results are consistent with calyx and dimorphic, but not bouton, afferent vestibular neurons expressing H3 receptors. This study provides a molecular substrate for the effects of histamine-related antivertigo drugs acting on (or binding to) H3 receptors, and suggest a potential target for the treatment of vestibular disorders of peripheral origin."

hmmm looks like Fish may be on to sometthing !!!!...we are all hoping

16. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hope all is well :)

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Hello everyone,

I wish I had some better news but seems like Vertigoheel didn't work for me. Quite the opposite, actually - I felt like it gave me a painful headache yesterday. But maybe it was just a coincidence.

I tried this large-dose in short time-approach, I still have 26 pills left.

18. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fish,
      That's too bad; are you going to continue taking it until you finish the 26 pills?

19. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fish,

I'm glad you didn't suffer from any ill effects :). You said you got a headache. I'd be careful. Next time, it could aggravate your tinnitus.

20. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      thanks Fish for giving it a go

best wishes
      mock turtle