Very High Pitched Pulsatile Tinnitus That Changes with Muscle Movement

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichJ, May 28, 2018.

1. RichJ

RichJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had PT in my left ear since the summer of 2017. I didn't think much about it at first as things like that usually just go away. After a few months of the noise, I started to get concerned. I went to an ENT as well as an audiologist. I have a hearing loss at higher tones. I was given a steroid and checked for an ear infection.... nothing. They asked me if I had been around very loud noises / any trauma etc. None of that. After a couple of visits they basically said we don't know what causes this and you may just need to learn to live with it.

After persisting, I was sent for a CT scan then a MRI. I also went to a neuro-ophthalmologist at Emory hospital here in Atlanta. Nothing showed up. I then found a doctor on whooshers.com that recommended a neurologist at Emory. I saw him and here suggested another neurologist at Emory that could do a cerebral angiogram. That was done a few weeks ago. The doctor said it was normal that no fistulas were seen. The only thing that was slightly different was "a loop" in one of the veins behind my left ear. He said it was possible that it could cause turbulence, but they was really no way to tell. I have also tried physical therapy for a few months between these tests, but that didn't seem to affect it at all.

My PT is very high pitched - about 12000 hz. It never stops. I seems loudest in the morning, but that could be because it is quieter. I can manipulate the loudness by moving my neck / jaw in certain directions. If I push my jaw out it gets significantly louder. If I turn my head to the right it gets about 75% better - tolerable! If I clench my jaw it also gets considerably better. I'm trying to decide my next course of action since it seems that there is some sort of muscle trigger.

• Like Like x 1
    2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Its somatic T. Something like 80% of T sufferers can modulate their T with some body movement like this.

Just for context ...

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichJ

RichJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am surprised that the physical therapy didn't help it if that is the case. Do these types ever go away on their own?

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @RichJ There's at least a 30% chance it's just your sternocleidomastoid muscles.
      If not go to:
      The Association Between Tinnitus, the Neck and TMJ. Treningogrehab.no
      I consider this site a go to for anyone with neck and/or jaw problems.
      It will take a hour to read thru it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Yes, many of us have somatic tinnitus. I can modulate the loudness of my t by clenching my teeth, and touching my face. Even brushing my hair.

Prof Shore (Mitchigan) is working on a device that might help those with somatic tinnitus. She hypothesises that when there is a loss of external auditory input (hearing loss), the somatic nervous system tries to compensate.

Im not sure where shes at with the trial. Others might be able to expand on this.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichJ

RichJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will read that article. Thanks! Is it possible that using an ear wax removal device could have in some way damaged the tiny hairs in the outer ear and caused the PT? I mentioned this to all of my doctors and they all said no.

8. Lost life
      Alone

Lost life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo w/d noise/trauma ,stress,tmj,hearing loss
      rich yours is just like mine

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichJ

RichJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @lostlife - have you discovered anything that helps?

10. Lost life
      Alone

Lost life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo w/d noise/trauma ,stress,tmj,hearing loss
      I found hydroxyzine 50 mg, 5 mg melatonin, my blood pressure med atenolol 25 mg, it's far from a cure but these do take the edge off and I believe eating makes it worse when it a meal high in carbs.

11. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      Ritchj, I have the same symptoms and because chewing makes my tinnitus very loud, I have softened my diet which allows me to enjoy my food more. Because I waited almost two years for my tooth #19 (lower first left molar) to be replaced with an implant, I chewed on my right. It made my Tinnitus louder on the right than on the left and even louder when I chewed. I should also mention I have occasional drift caused by ALS, which is also a contributing factor. Now that I'm eating on both sides, with a softer diet, my PT has lowered in volume a little.
      Just something to think about.
      Ritchj, thanks again for you post!

Chewring, chewring, chewing it goes
      Loudly sings my T
      Terribly, terribly, terribly, terribly
      In my head it screams.

Have a great day, TinA#7oct

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichJ

RichJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      TinA, you also have ALS?
      I didn't noticed the change so much with chewing as it is rather constant. If I turn my head to the right if gets about 75% better - tolerable! If I press behind my left ear it's a little louder and if I open my mouth or move my jaw forward the pulsing is significantly louder.