Very Loud Firework Going Off

Discussion in 'Support' started by sven1987, Jan 1, 2019.

1. sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      A few minutes ago I was in my living room and a very loud firework went off about 15 feet from my house. Not just a regular firecracker but one of those illegal “bombs”. Like this:

(WATCH YOUR VOLUME!!!)

Should I worry about hearing damage? These things could be around 150 to 160 dB. I have double glazing and a rolling shutter which was closed, but it still was insanely loud.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Omg I was freaking out just watching the video.

If your window was closed and youre not getting any noticeable spikes I think you'll be fine

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      I've been sleeping in the hallway last night actually because that's the only room that has no direct window to the outside. These crazy loud things have been around our neighborhood too so I decided to rather be safe than sorry...

That being said windows, especially with double glazing should take 35-45 dB, plus some from the rolling shutter. Given that 160 dB probably refer to dB at 1m (about 3 feet) I'd guess that a max of 148 dB could have arrived to the outside of your rolling shutter. Let's say the shutter only takes 5 dB, the windows only 35 dB than that's 108 dB which is loud but shouldn't do any damage as an impulse noise. If your windows are good and the firecracker maybe only had 150 dB it's even less...

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Thanks guys. My tinnitus has not spiked yet, so that’s a relief. It’s insane how loud some of these firework can get. I have no problems with normal firecrackers. They are loud, but not as crazy as illegal fireworks. Holy shit...

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, did you spike?? I was exposed to a firework about 3 houses down and I'm afraid :(