Very Loud TV — My Tinnitus Is Louder Now and Not Sure If It Caused Permanent Damage

Discussion in 'Support' started by butterfly75, Jul 27, 2017.

1. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I had to attend a 5 hour course. The instructor played several clips throughout it, probably 2 hours total all-together, the rest was a lecture. The TV was on very loud. It was at 65, and when I'm watching TV at home I can't raise it above 8 sometimes because of hyperacusis. I was wearing earplugs but it still sounded so loud.

I asked him if it could be turned down once, so I felt reluctant to ask a second time. It was at 65 throughout the entire duration of the course. At one point, an actor in the clip yelled extremely loudly for 5 seconds and it felt so painful and I wish I would've just run away, but I just sat there and winced. There were many other moments that seemed very loud. Now I regret it and wish I just left. I wish I hadn't just sat there. If I left, I would have to apply to another course to get the certificate, and they all involve instruction films so I thought it may be just as loud and I just wanted to get it over with.

My T is louder now and I don't know if I've caused permanent damage. Should I take Prednisone? Do I really need it or would it be an overreaction? I have some left over but I'm hesitant because of the side effects. I'm just worried I've done permanent damage.

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @butterfly75 . You probably should not take prescription medication unless directed to by a physician. Do not be afraid to ask that volume be turned down; you should not have to suffer. You may need to talk to the people running the training and explain to them what hyperacusis is and how it affects those who suffer from it. I would hope that they would do what ever they can to accommodate you.

But, most importantly, you probably should see a Doctor. S/he would be your best bet for recommendations as hoe to proceed. In this era of internet, WebMD, etc.. people tend to self-diagnose (to be clear, I am not suggesting that you have done so), and even self-medicate based on reading stuff online. An actual doctor can ask you questions, and of s/he is your regular doctor, knows your medical history and takes all that into consideration when diagnosing and prescribing treatment.

I hope you find solutions to your issues, and good luck with training.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thank you. I asked a doctor and they said taking the Prednisone would be fine, but I've taken corticosteroids before for short periods of time and I'm worried about the long-term side effects of them. I had issues with pneumonia and asthma as a child so I took them intermittently, and I'm unsure if I should if it would safe to take them again for this.

4. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      How close were you to the tv?

5. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Does any one gets T spike with door slams ? I was about 7 feet away and we measured loudness and it was only 80 DB in hand held meter . It felt so loud ! It was very big 12-13 feet wooden door .

I know 80 DB is nothing but felt so damn loud !

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I sat in the seat farthest back, which was only a few rows down

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I took Prednisone once, but I've decided against taking it again today because I'm experiencing the same side effects (eye pain.) T is still as loud, unfortunately.

• Hug Hug x 1