Very Vivid Dreams

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bart, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Lately I have very vivid and lucid dreams,sometimes so vivid that they wake me up several times a night.

Is there a reason to assume that I do not sleep deep enough or another underlying problem ?

I have never experienced this before and I do not take medication that can be a trigger, luckily it does not seem to have an effect on my tinnitus although waking up at night is never pleasant with ringing in the ears.

Thanks for any insight.

2. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Since my onset of T, I have been having very vivid dreams as well. More vived than i have ever had. One dream I had was i was in a stadium surrounded by fans, they start chanting louder and louder. In my dream i put my hands over my ears because it was so loud. Then i wake up and i can hear my T screaming. Thankfully died diwn after a few mins. So my T is getting me in my dreams now:sleep:

• Like Like x 1
    3. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey Bart. If it's a clear increase in lucid dreams, it could be. I only had one vivid dream since my started in the past 2 weeks but I used to get them randomly to begin with so I can't say it's due to T. It could also be from any medication or treatment you might be taking. I will say this about deep sleep. I sleep very deep, and mine resets every night. I go to bed in near silence, wake up with it blasting. So deep sleep, makes mine worse and it's really the main mystery for me to solve.

I did notice some things that were very interesting when I try to fall asleep. In the state of drifting into sleep, if I lay quietly for 20-25 minutes, every 3-5 minutes or so, I notice my brain shutting it off for a split second, and I mean completely, dead silence. It's such a great relief. It can COMPLETELY shut it off, but it only lasts 1 second. Just during that time when you feel yourself drifting into sleep, so I drift back out, and lay there quietly and try to catch it again. I can feel my muscles in my chest and my body tense up when I get that split second of total silence, trying to lock in on that moment.

Our brains, at least my brain, definitely has the ability to do that. To completely and totally shut it off. The question is if will I ever be able to control that but there is something about that, and also something about my T resetting over night due to very deep sleep.

T is so mysterious and so different from person to person.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      I think high anxiety can cause you to have vivid dreams and wake up in the middle of the night.

• Like Like x 1
    5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @Bart: Do you take melatonin? Although it is a supplement vs a medication, it really interacts with your neurological system. Gives me (and many others) way crazy dreams.

I also agree that tinnitus makes it hard for our brains to completely relax and that many of us often don't sleep very deeply. Hence the dreams, which are more common when your brain is not in the deep sleep cycle.

I have vivid/lucid dreams a lot. Fortunately, I think most of them are pretty cool. It's like having a mini movie theater in my head.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I have vivid dreams sometimes. I usually wake up when the dream story comes to an ''end''.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @LadyDi No, I used to take some melatonin in the first weeks and it indeed caused the same weird and vivid dreams.

Now I take nothing at all and I slept dreamless for over a year, maybe it is indeed some underlying anxiety issue.

Yes, it is indeed very similar to mine

I do not mind the dreams, but it bothers me that they wake me up although I fall asleep rather quickly again.

8. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Hmm... I've also noticed that I've been having more vivid dreams, like last night, for example. Not lucid, but I remember them.
      I also kept waking up last night,tossing and turning. My eyes feel tired.
      I been noticing that lately, when I lay down to go to sleep, that I'm not drifting off as easily anymore. Usually I'd lay down and within 5 to 10 mins I'd be sleeping. Now, it seems longer than that, and I wake up before the alarm goes off. Usually it feels like my mind is awake but the body wants to keep sleeping.

9. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      After answering you yesterday, I wanted to let you know, I also had yet another very vivid dream last night. Can't even describe it on here...Wooof! But again I have no idea if it's medication, T, or just the thoughts we are having while dealing with T. Still not ready to draw any correlation.