Vitamin B-12

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by nmackintosh, Jun 5, 2016.

1. nmackintosh

nmackintosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Wondering if anyone has had any success taking vitamin b12?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I take 2500mcg of methyl B12 and a good quality super B complex. I also take a product called OGF, which is original glutathione formula. Among it's other ingredients, it has NAC. I also started taking German E standard Gingko Biloba. It's by Life Extension and is the highest quality on the market. My reason for Gingko, is it is believed, that my right inner ear, lost micro circulation, which gave me severe SSHL, overnight. Gingko has some benefits, for circulatory issues.

You have to experiment with things one at a time, to see if anything improves your T.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      No help for me.

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      B12 (or any of the other B vitamins for that matter) did nothing for me, I've taken 3,000 mg per day (methylcobalamin B12 spray - so high quality and well absorbed). These days 1,000 mg for maintenance.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I was taking Ginkgo, Zinc, Magnesium, CQ10, Fish oil, B12, and a few others with no positive results. Only change was stomach irritation. I have read that if you have a zinc deficiency that may help you as for the others I have heard of no positive comments to help reduce or eliminate tinnitus.

6. Arrojo

Arrojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One too many rock concerts
      Is there a difference in Cyano B12 and Methyl B12?

7. Canador

Canador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Vitamin B 12 Sheathes Ear Nerves
      From Prevention's Book "Healing with Vitamins"

When it comes to nerves, vitamin B 12 plays a special role. The body needs this nutrient to manufacture myelin, the fatty sheathe that wraps around nerve fibers, insulating them and allowing them to conduct their electrical impulses normally.

A vitamin B12 deficiency can raise blood levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is thought to be toxic to nerves. Low levels of B12 have been linked to a number of nervous system disorders, including memory loss, decreased reflexes, impaired touch or pain perception--and, apparently, tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss.

Researchers from the Institute for Noise Hazards Research and Evoked Potentials Laboratory at Chaim-Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan and from Tel Aviv University, both in Israel, looked at a group of 385 people with tinnitus and found that 36 to 47 percent suffered from vitamin B12 deficiency. All of the people low in B12 received injections of 1,000 micrograms weekly for four to six months. At the end of that time, their hearing and tinnitus were evaluated. Fifty-four percent reported improvement in their tinnitus, and approximately one-fourth reported reductions in the measured loudness of their tinnitus, according to Joseph Attias, D.Sc., head of the institute and one of the study's main researchers.

"vitamin B12 deficiency is somehow associated with chronic tinnitus," says Dr. Attias. "Long-term exposure to noise may deplete body levels of B12 and so make the ears more vulnerable to noise-induced damage."

Most of the people in this study had tinnitus for six years or longer. "It's possible that people who are treated earlier for vitamin B12 deficiency may have more improvement in their tinnitus than occurred in this study," says Dr. Attias.

If you have tinnitus, and especially if you also have memory problems, ask your doctor to check your blood level of vitamin B12, he suggests.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Markku

Hi Markku,

I'm trying to figure out whether B12 Methylcobalamin should be taken on its own or whether it's better to take it with Hydroxycobalamin or take hydo instead. Have read that all the wonderful claims about methylcobalamin may not be accurate...

to quote one site:

Hydroxocobalamin facilitates both pathways (conversion to methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin) and it works in a more natural way. There are pathways in the complex metabolism/conversion to active forms that we (& the clinical chemists who we work with) do not know yet and which we therefore deliberately do not want to skip.

from https://b12researchgroup.wordpress.com/warning-about-the-use-of-b12-sublingual-tablets/

I know that they are talking about injections in the main but I'm very, very confused & fed up with reading stuff on the net about it.

I thought perhaps you may have been given some advice as you're taking methylcobalamin?

Help!

click

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      So far tried...B12, B1, Magnesium...no effect whatsoever noted.
      May stop wasting cash and just buy Vodka.

• Like Like x 4
    10. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Taking b12 and b-complex. Nada.

• Like Like x 1