Warning: Ozone Therapy Flared My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Goose_02, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Goose_02

Goose_02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic; ozone
      I just wanted to post an experience I had with ozone therapy...

I have mold illness and associated sinus issues (Marcons) and tinnitus. About 1.5 weeks ago I tried ozone therapy in hopes of helping both issues. The doctor I saw recommended both nasal and ear insufflation and said she would start "low and slow". I questioned her about the possibility of making tinnitus worse and she said that had never happened to any of her patients, except for 1 who said he "thought" it made it worse. So I decided to try it...

Pretty soon after having ear insufflation my tinnitus started to get worse - higher volume and higher pitch. And, it seems my ears are more full and sore. I had pretty much acclimated to my previous baseline tinnitus (it was there and annoying, but not something I usually obsessed over), but now it's much more noticeable and I'm back to being quite impacted by it.

Anyway, I would caution anybody thinking about using ozone ear insufflation based on this experience. And if you do decide to try ozone therapy, go super low and slow and try other forms of it besides going straight into the ear (nasal, rectal, IV). Some reports say it actually helps tinnitus.

I'm taking more Glutathione and Alpha-Lipoic Acid to see if that helps with any oxidative stress that likely occurred, but so far, no reduction.

Be careful out there...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Goose_02 -- Great informative post; but sorry your tinnitus has spiked. I've done fairly extensive research into ozone therapy, and anticipate investing in my own home setup for around $2K. One thing I've learned is that once you get ozone into the body (via any number of ways, including ear insufflation), elevated peroxide levels are left behind that stay in the body for several weeks, which benefits the body in many ways.

In line with your experience, I have already decided I would use other ways to introduce ozone into the body before doing the ear insufflation. BTW, sometimes when things that are tried lead to an initial exacerbation of tinnitus, it's actually "possible" it could be an indication that it will work in the longer run. In your case, I think it's possible the ozone caused a major dieoff of mold, leading to elevated levels of toxins in your system, causing your tinnitus to spike.

Take care, and I hope you recover quickly from your spike.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Goose_02

Goose_02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic; ozone
      Thanks @Lane, appreciate the thoughts.

Would be great to hear how ozone goes for you. I was thinking of getting a home setup myself, but am second guessing that for the time being after my experience with it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I called SimplyO3 (they sell home ozone kits) and they said they have found that ear insufflation is particularly "potent" and they were aware of some instances where it had exacerbated tinnitus. So, for those of us with already sensitive ears, it makes sense to me to avoid that route, at least initially.

Take care and I wish you well on your ozone journey.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      For anybody with an interest, the (relatively short) book The Ozone Miracle is a great introduction to comprehensive ozone therapy. -- You can find doctors trained in ozone therapy at www.aaot.us (American Academy of Ozonotherapy).

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear about your difficulty, @Goose. And thank you, @Lane, for weighing in. I just bought a set-up from PromoLife yesterday, and am hoping for the best. I'll try the nasal insufflation, for sure, as I've had some sinus issues for a while, and that's the main thing I was getting it for, and will try and come back with a full report! ;)

• Like Like x 1