Ways to Mitigate / Reverse Recent Damage by Ototoxic Medicine

Discussion in 'Support' started by jer, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Recently I was prescribed lotemax, which is a simple eye-steroid for inflammation of the eye. I researched the medicine but it did not come up under a list of ototoxic medicines. Still, it caused a very big negative reaction in my ears in regards to the volume.

This has been about a week ago. Is there anything I can do to potentially reverse or mitigate the damage that has been done, as it is still fairly new?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Glutanthione is used to detoxify the liver from all medications used. It has been used to detox other medications not within the liver, but many drugs are stored in the liver or kidneys. Advice from an toxicology pharmaceutical doctor or the federal government office of drug toxicology should be able to provide some guidance.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      So would you say there is a chance that what i took is still in the body and it might still be able to get rid of it natural filtering of the body, Thus eventually lowering the spike back to normal level? Or are you saying I need to look at actively doing something to see if I can get rid if it?

4. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Go to the end of the article: Key word: Glutathione under Treatment Squencing

http://www.icnr.com/cs/cs_50.html

This is the correct article, Sorry another link was in my paste

Not sure, but in link above, this patient must of had drugs in his system for awhile when receiving treatment. Call a pharmacist, they should know.

What a success study in link above.

Flushing your body out with water may help, but remember not to drink too much water at one time as it can cause brain damage . This is often mentioned on medical sites to flush out kidney stones.

Also natural IV detox therapy. Research that on the internet.

5. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

I have read this before, but I am not aware of any stu
      dy to confirm that lotemax causes this.

What I will say is that normally, medication for eye infections, antibiotics or steroids are applied topically. So through eye drops or ointments. They are not given systemically, through pills or IV.

They should really only affect the epithelium and cornea of the eye.

Here Ofloxacin is quite popular for bacterial infections and I believe not toxic for the ear.
      However Gentamicin is highly toxic for the ear but still given out because topically applied to the eye it does not or should not affect other parts of the body.

Keep in mind that some eye infections other than small mild ulcers and conjunctivitis can be VERY serious with progressive deterioration within only a couple of hours, it can sometimes be important to get aggressive treatment right away.

In terms of damage I think you can take an A to Z supplement with all essential vitamins and whatnot. So the body can repair any damage for which it has the ability to do so. But consider that the ability to repair hearing is rather low in humans. If you are having a T spike it will probably go back down after a while.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Is the A to Z a brand, or you are telling me that I need to take all of them? Thank you both for your thoughtful answers.

7. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      N-Acetyl Cysteine. Abbreviated as NAC. It's a precursor to glutathione. Many studies has shown its efficacy in protecting the ears from further damage, both drug and noise induced. It works for me, however it causes a rash on my hands.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Is NAC sold over the counter or by prescription only?

9. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      OTC

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    10. Nike

Nike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Combination of Ototoxicity, Noise & Stress
      Why don't you try garlic and onions? Try as much as possible to stay from medication and seek nutritional or natural cure for your ailment. Garlic and onions are anti oxidants and are known to remove free radicals from the body. I'm chewing raw garlic and onions. Yuck! but it seems to be working for me. You can try cutting it into bits and swallowing. Don't use if you are on any medication though. Garlic may react with some medications and try a little first to see how your body reacts. All medications I tried including supplements only made it worse. So I'm all natural now. I got tinnitus through Ototoxic drugs, some noise and a lot of stress. However I am determined by the grace of God to kick it in the butts.

11. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Vitamin c, d, e, and NAC really make a difference for me. It actually lowers the volume of tinnitus to a hiss.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Does anyone else have any experience with Ofloxacin eye drops? I’ve been taking them for a day and my tinnitus completely exploded... not sure whether that’s due to the drops or not. Not sure how to cope if the tinnitus stays at this level.

Edit: Thank you @Greg Sacramento! I really don't think it could be due to the drops but suddenly, an hour after taking the drops for the third time, my tinnitus just spiked like crazy! I never had something like this happening... It's still bad after a good night's sleep but I'm trying my best to stay calm. There are zaps (?) in my head, weird new tones all over my head, everything is so high-pitched.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 2
    13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/ofloxacin/tinnitus/

I doubt it caused a spike unless you have high pressure. I really doubt it with one day's use.

Drink some water. Much of the stuff mentioned above could help, but water within daily limits is needed for a flush out.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    15. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      My doctor described new eye drops (euphrasia, with euphrasia ferm and rosae aetheroleum) and my family just bought me NAC 600mg acute and we ordered Alpha-Lipoic Acid capsules.

I just can't wrap my head around it, I really don't think that six drops of ofloxacin could cause such a spike. But I'm staying hopeful. Thanks again for your quick reply, simply having bought NAC has calmed me a bit mentally already!

• Like Like x 2
    16. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Not the eye drops, but I've used the ofloxacin ear drops before. No change in my T (I have yet to find something that influences my T).