Wearing Earplugs Painful?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Foamearplugssuck, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Hey guys,

I'm living in a very large/noisy city, and I've started to wear earplugs as I walk around (I have hearsavers by emtech). However, this has been causing me problems. My ears hurt after about an hour of wear, though sometimes as I'm running errands I need to keep them in longer. I also get sharp pains by my jaw and in my neck, which I'm assuming has to do with my ears.

Also, my tinnitus has been spiking a lot over the past few days. I don't know if it's because of city noises, or because I'm over wearing earplugs, or what.

Has anyone else also dealt with this issue? Any tips/advice?

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wear foam earplugs a lot and experience this from time to time. Couple of things that could cause this. One is the pressure on your ear canal itself is causing the pain, the other reason is the friction from pulling the earplugs in and out. It's like a friction burn on the inside of your ear canals. I get this in my ears frequently unfortunately. Olive oil seems to help with the friction burns.

3. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Get yourself a pair of custom made molded ones. They're much more comfortable. I have two different kinds. One pair is from Earfoon and one pair from ACS Pro. The ACS ones have changeable filters, but I seem to prefer my older harder Earfoons.

4. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Same thing happend to me on my holidays, had foam earplugs in for around 16h straight. Between driving to the airport, flying for a few hours and traveling in new city, I left them in the whole time. Near the evening my ears were itching like hell. I was already super scared I catched an ear infection, luckily after an hour or so the itching subsided and my ears felt better again. However the next days i used them a little less.

I have now some also some custom molded but when you are used to foam plugs they feel strange. Also the right one doesn't seal as well as the other so probably have to send them back.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Hey! I actually do wear custom-molded earplugs. My ears don't hurt as much as they did when I made that post--I think I just had to get used to wearing earplugs 24/7.

But thanks for your reply!

• Like Like x 1