Weather Changes Impacting Tinnitus Intensity?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jéssica Amorim, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,
      I have noise-induced tinnitus but is it possible that it is affected by the weather?
      We had a sudden drop in temperature and realized that there was an increase in my tinnitus intensity.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

We are all different @Jéssica Amorim The weather can affect some medical conditions and the drop in temperature could have increased your tinnitus. However, I tend to think because you are new to tinnitus, you are monitoring every little change in it's perception and it will take time for you to stop doing this even when you don't mean to. It is something the brain does as you have lived all your life without this intrusion and suddenly it is there, and the brain focuses on it. This can and often causes stress. In time things will get easier.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Hello! When I read your post I felt like I had to reply because I feel the same way. I belive this too. I live in Norway and we obviously get cold winters, but the weather here in general is pretty changing from day-to-day.

I get more fleeting tinnitus and temporary spikes during the colder seasons compared to summer, especially if I've been outside. Now, I have significant ETD and I believe that plays a role too. Whenever I feel cold my eustachian tubes start crackling more and I get more popping in my ears than usual. Something seems to get constricted from the cold temperature and this increases my perceived volume of my T.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Mine generally seems worse in winter but maybe because I spend more time indoors during winter months. In summer I go for outdoor walks and bike rides and generally have better days overall in summer.

• Like Like x 1
    5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I have this exact problem. I'm also really sniffly. I should visit an Allergist...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Elinor,
      I live in Brazil and we are in the middle of spring, however, last week the temperature dropped a lot and I noticed that my T got louder.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your tinnitus will change a lot @Jéssica Amorim and this is typical with noise induced tinnitus in the early stages. It for this reason an antidepressant can help a lot in help to stop a person's moods dropping too low. It can feel like you're riding a rollercoaster. One day you're up and the next down. It can affect some people quite a lot but eventually this rollercoaster effect goes....

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael,
      The fact that my tinnitus is due to exposure to noise means that every time I have contact with a source of intense noise my T will get worse?

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The sound/noise would have to be very loud for your tinnitus to get worse @Jéssica Amorim When you are exposed to sounds at the moment that might seem intense, is because your ears and auditory system are sensitive. This is also due to the hyperacusis that can cause your tinnitus to spike. Almost any sound especially sudden bursts can make you feel like your tinnitus is getting worse but it's not. Try not to worry about it in time your auditory system will begin to heal and this soreness/hypersensitivity will not be so acute.

It takes time but it will improve.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Michael.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @Jéssica Amorim Whenever you have the time, try doing some deep relaxation exercises. You might find my post: "Aquiring a positive mindset" helpful as it explains about this and there is a link to free videos on Youtube. The post in on my "started threads"

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. TinnitoToto
      Buzzed

TinnitoToto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I haven’t been on tinnitus talk for a while because I’m getting more tolerable to the noise and learning not to focus on it, but today I came back on it because I was in Florida for the past month and even though the noise is always there I hardly noticed it but it has been three days that I’ve been back in Canada and the T has been much louder,
      I’m wondering if it’s the cold up here or barometric pressure or elevation pressure I’m trying to figure out why the spike I wonder if there has been any studies about this, I’m thinking of moving to Florida