Weight Training Tinnitus Spike — Twisted My Neck a Little When Doing Squats

Discussion in 'Support' started by PConD, Jun 7, 2019.

1. PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Folks,

I was doing some weight lifting (squats) two days ago and twisted my neck a little. Not painful, but my tinnitus has spiked badly ever since. Anyone experience anything similar? How long to settle back down?

Thanks.

Peter

P.S. It's not the usual temporary post-exercise spike. I get that but it always settles after 30 minutes or so. This is different.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I've only had the 30 mins post-exercise spike that you speak of. Hoping yours dissipates.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    4. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I squat fairly often, that has never happened to me. I also get the 30 minutes spike after working out but that also settles quickly.

Did it start immediately after you twisted your neck? @Greg Sacramento probably has some ideas what you could do.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      If his tinnitus increased from doing squats, then an neck injury could very well been @PConD original cause of tinnitus. Especially if using Valsalva manoeuvre which involves taking a large breath and tensing the muscles of the trunk while performing the movement. Muscles spasms can then press the C spine under pressure and then all sorts of stuff can happen.

I would talk to your doctors about a neck X ray if never done. Then other cervical tests if a C spine problem is present. Another thing to consider with a neck problem is that arteries may have conflict causing blood to slow or increase to the ears. Too much exercise with tinnitus can also relate to increase blood flow to the ears. Your spike could settle down with non physical activity, rest, magnesium and not to hyperextend neck.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for all info folks. Hopefully it will settle down over the next couple of days.

Interesting comments @Greg Sacramento about the neck x-ray. When I first got tinnitus I think I had every test known to man except for a neck Xray. I'll have a chat with my Dr.

I'm going to give the gym a break for a week :-( to rest up and then take it a bit easier for a while when I get back

7. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Any updates? Has it gotten better?:)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PConD
      No Mood

PConD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Folks - Yes it did ease off after a couple of days. Neck still a bit stiff and "crunchy" though. So will that checked out as well and post back if anything tinnitus related comes of it.

9. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Great news. Try to keep your head always in line with your back while squatting, that means looking probably a few meters in front of you on the ground. And don‘t turn your head right and left while under tension during exercises.