Weird Ear Symptoms (MEM/TTTS/Diplacusis): Clogged and Vibration Sensation

Discussion in 'Support' started by Samantha R, Jun 9, 2020.

1. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Maybe stress and acoustic trauma
      Hi @Samantha R

I´m having similar symptoms. I´m very anxious so I can´t describe it well, but I feel like my case is similar to yours.

Do you feel better at this time? I hope so.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My symptoms are better but I can feel things aren’t right still.
      I’m seeing an ENT in August.
      What’s going on with you?

3. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm very happy for you.
      I have the vibration sensation that you had in my right ear, I have been like this for a week. It's worse when there are noises around. Laying on my bed in silence makes it much lower.
      I have a weird sensation on the ear, like clogged and very tight.

I went to an ENT and he saw no signs of infection, everything was fine according to him. Unluckily due to covid, I haven't been able to get an audiometry or tympanometry. On Tuesday luckily I'll have one done.
      And on Friday next week I will see my ENT and I think I'm going to propose an intratympanic injection. I can't stay like this and I'm willing to carry with the risks.
      I'm very scared that this could be SSHL, I'm on an steroid course. The second day of the course, I wake up and the new sensations and noise had gone. But it returned the next day on the evening. Next day I woke up feeling good again, but it returned on the evening again. And have been like that since then. I thought it was gone and here it is. It's very confusing to this sensation to behave like this.

I'm in a very bad place, if this stays like this, I think I won't be able to survive. I'm losing hope everyday, I really want it to go away and give me back my usual T, which was very hard, but it was high pitched tones and hissing and more, but this new sensation and noise is a lot worse. I can hear it even on the shower, in the street with cars passing, etc.

Sometimes I feel like if the muscles are vibrating and not reacting well to the sounds the ear receive.

I don't know what to think, the only thing I know is that I will wait some weeks or months and if it doesn't resolve... it's game over for me :(

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Samantha R . I have been tested today and I have lost 10dB on 125,250 and 500 on the last month (curiously I made my periodic audiogram 4 weeks ago). I'm on -20, -20 and -15 . "Normal" hearing, but something has happened and is the cause of this setback.

Also the tympanometry is in normal range, but last month the ear was perfect and now is on the limit of the normal range.

I'm on oral steroids, the third day I woke up and all the new symptoms had disappeared, but they returned the next day on the evening.

I'm thinking about steroids injections or HBOT. I have problems on airplanes to equalize pressure on my ears. I don't know what route to follow or what to do. I'm willing to take risks, as the situation right now is unbearable for me. The new low pitched sound is awful, I can hear it on the shower. It's devastating me.

Any advice? Please bring me some help as I'm very anxious right now and don't know what to do.

@Greg Sacramento

Also I hear a robotic-like metalic distortion on voices. It's awful.

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @dipp, I have the same. I can temporary shut this down when lying down with hand pressing on my temporalis between head and pillow. Then when I get back up, I still have relief for up to two hours. A poster within this link also does. Others appear to get the same relief by pressing on the masseter - but I would be very careful in doing that.

Please turn your sound off before going to this site:
      http://www.windytan.com/2015/07/case-study-tinnitus-with-distortion.html

6. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot for the help. Could you say something more to me related to my case? I'm near to collapse.

7. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dipp I have read a little of your history and I will rest the read of it. From what I read so far, I would continue with oral steroids. I would also take Glycinate magnesium 400. This must be divided into thirds. Take one third every eight hours or so. This is not a med, so no exact schedule is needed. Leave a window of a couple of hours between taking magnesium and taking steroids. I will get back to you.

• Like Like x 1
    8. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot. I have ordered the Glycinate magnesium. It really helps to have someone to get advice from. I feel alone and don't know what to do, and in an anxious state that doesn't allow me to think properly.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just one more thing Greg:

When I was more or less relieved, it was by the time which I had to start tapering the steroids. I know I shouldn´t have done it and play with this strong medications, but in desperation I returned to the initial dose and I had a good day again, both in terms of the distortion and the vibration sound and sensation. I tried to taper again and the symptons returned at their worst, last night I returned again to the initial dose by taking another pill at night, and this morning I´m a bit better both in distortion and vibration...

I´m very afraid to taper and stop taking steroids and to be left because of that in a bad state, but I know I have to start tapering and leave the medication at it´s not recommended. But to me it is a signal that I have some kind of serious inflammation.

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dipp Read all your history. Your tinnitus may have been caused by ear wax - infection, but with all that you mention and now a hum would indicate that hypertension blood flow - sudden, but brief increases has control of your ears. Floater history, vibrating ear muscles which may have inverted outwards - eardrum with a slight change in audiometry seems to be from hypertension. So many other clues point towards this, including less involvement at night and steroid use giving a temporary deduction. Some with hypertension don't get a reduction at night, but those that do get a reduction usually have lower blood pressure at night.

Most older with hypertension also have vein, artery and organ problems. You would have good veins and arteries with mass muscles. With having mass muscles, hypertension may be tightening them. When this happens, the ears are first to be affected and jaw is second for those younger. This is why steroids are helping you. Magnesium will help from 12% to 36% with muscular hypertension. After you finish tapering the steroids, continue with the magnesium that you ordered. I will post some natural harmless dietary supplements for hypertension. You might want to use the DASH dietary plan at least on occasion. Stay hydrated.

Is there anything wrong with your ears - even if infection was cause - NOW. Probably not much. Hypertension appears to be the reason for your slight hearing set back. Continue with steroids and try the magnesium when you receive it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That could make sense to me, because, on the last months, the dog that appears in my profile picture, which is now very old, needs to be lifted in the middle of the night, because he can´t stand up on his own. Maybe being very asleep and waking up very fast and making a physical effort that fast could have contributed to the hypertension?
      Should I go to the pharmacy and take my tension measured? In that case we would be sure of that.

The only thing that does not convince me of this, is the 10db additional loss of the lower frequencies on my audiogram since last month. I don´t think that hypertension would justify that...

Anyway, I´ve started to taper the steroids today (I can´t continue taking the initial dose, it has been more than a week since I started), and will start the magnesium from tomorrow. Thanks a lot @Greg Sacramento , you can´t imagine how much you have helped me. You are a very good person. I´ll keep this updated.

12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely that would only show pre hypertension. It's sudden and brief episodes called hypertension moments (something being quickly upsetting).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3889339/

Hypertension can also cause inflammation. C -reactive protein blood test (CRP) can tell if you have inflammation.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Z
      I think and audiogram will help.
      Mine showed a low frequency loss.
      Yours sounds very much like mine coming and going.
      Honestly, it may go, give it time. I kno
      I’m sorry to hear about your struggles.
      I empathise, I really do.
      I am going to send you a private message.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Have you tried curcumin?

Quite a few here respond to it. You maybe able to replace the prednisone with this in its place.

@Samantha R

15. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll try when I finish tapering the steroids. Thanks for the info.

16. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Try it, some people have great results from it and swear by it. You should take curcumin with food high in fat.
      Also, don't take it exactly at the same time with magnesium.
      @JohnAdams experimented with curcumin and turmeric, so maybe check out his posts about supplementing with them.

17. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      To be honest a lot of what I've read in this thread sounds a lot like issues with the tensor tympani/middle ear muscles and autonomic activation of the trigeminal nerve. The eustacian tubes are involved too due to proximity and connection with the middle ear muscles and nerves. Neck issues can play a part too.

For 2-3 years after my acoustic traumas, I had a form of TTTS that caused chronic cramping. I would lose much of my lower frequency hearing in the affected ear until the muscles relaxed. I would get a low vibration, a rushing/whooshing sound, ear pressure and tightness and other things. Hearing sound became very uncomfortable, with a kind of imbalanced and hollow sensation.

I also recall waking up some nights to an awful hum that would modulate as I moved my head around, but kind of think that's possibly something neck related.

Anyway, it went away at some stage earlier this year, but I had a relapse maybe a month ago that lasted almost a week. Not sure why. But it's gone away completely for now. There's a psychosomatic component to it, so reacting emotionally to it doesn't help. Obviously I can't say for sure this is the same thing, but reminds me of what I experienced.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    18. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This could be the reason, yes. I can relate to the low vibration, ear pressure and yes, a lot of tightness at times. It would explain that my symptons are more or less intermitent and that sometimes I´m better at mornings. But anyway, I´ll try first the oral steroids/steroids injection/diuretics and the recommended suplemments in the first place. If my symptoms persist, I´ll have enough time to try to relax and all of that.
      Of course I´m trying to relax the best I can. But at times is very hard. Thanks for your words.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I can understand your concern and hope it's "just" overly sensitised muscles/nerves/auditory system not SSNHL. I too went down the prednisolone path when I first experienced the apparent loss of hearing. All of this ear business messes with your mind and can take a while to fully understand what is going on, so being cautious is good. Better to be safe than sorry.
      But really I can't emphasise enough how important it is to reduce stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dipp Thinking this, but I don't know for sure, if you had an ear infection - inflammation and nothing else. You may have developed a bit of hyperstimulation that also associates to all your history keyword issues. In a month, now that you should be done with the steroids, your ears and other issues including distortion will hopefully improve. Hyperstimulation either is blood pressure or increased electrical activity. At your age, this is temporary. Try the magnesium, curcumin, drink fluids and get plenty of rest.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For some days I have had in my more problematic, left ear a new sound. It's low, but not buzzing, vibrating. It sounds like someone is having a party with bass a bit away. It's not constant and it's not loud, but intermittent.

Of course, I started to obsess about it, so now it annoys me. It also stops if I plug my ear. Anyway, I hope it does go away as my previous low sound in that ear, but I'm getting pretty tired of acquiring a new sound in every 5 months or so.

These intermittent, rhythmic sounds (I have a high pitched one in the other ear) are even more distracting to me than the constant, bilateral high frequency sound.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I´m not sure that I had an infection, since 2 ENTs have seen my ear and didn´t notice that. They should have seen that in their explorations, right?
      I have noticed that if I incline my head forward, I notice the sensation more. Maybe the fluid in the inner ear. I´m on a natural diuretic to see if it helps to get rid of the fluids.
      Anyway I´m having intermitent moments in which the symptoms subside. I have also noticed some Hyperacusis when there´s more ambient noise and someone talk to me on that ear. I have to wait some weeks to see if it improves.

23. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I´m having exactly that. It alternates with the new low hum, but sometimes it´s like that, like a car with loud music and you can hear the bass, rythmic, with random pattern. Let´s see if it subsides.

24. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dipp

Vestibular system - Component is when the person abruptly tries to stand up or from tilting the head forward. Sometimes a vertebrae of the cervical where pressure is exerted to blood vessels with the ear. This will produce a hum. Other times with tilting the head, the auditory nerve receives increased pressure and this will cause a hum. I have a complete list with discussion somewhere in a collection on all the ways that forward head movements can increase tinnitus and cause a hum. I had once researched this for self and others with viewing all research sources.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It hasn't and got a bit louder. Still not overly loud, I only hear this sound in quiet, but it's so annoying.

26. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Samantha R

How are you doing? Are you still on diuretics and low salt diet? Are you experiencing improvement?

27. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope you are doing fine. I´m having a terrible day after thinking that I was doing better.

28. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. Not really, but nowhere near as awful as yesterday. It fluctuates and I can't figure out what makes it better/worse. Also, now it's totally random without a pattern. I started doubting myself that it is actually from outside, because I don't hear it with muffs/plugs on, but it's not, because I don't hear it with my right ear at all.

I hope you will have better days.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Kriszti,
      Yes to both. I’m also taking Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as I believe I have Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops. My left ear also felt like it ‘went’ about a month ago and I’ve been doing lots of reading.
      Bilateral Meniere’s (so therefore I assume cochlear Hydrops) appears to almost always be autoimmune.
      This is also in line with what my otoneurologist believes, though my appointment with her is not until mid August, I just know this through connecting with someone who is currently under her care.
      Dare I say it, but my ears feel completely normal, so I must be on to something.
      I’m also on an vitamin regimen called the John Of Ohio protocol, developed by a biologist who suffers from Meniere’s. His was based on research that the herpes virus is found in the inner ear in almost all decreased patients with Meniere’s.
      I’ve suffered from cold sores most of my life, so this is also an avenue I’m pursuing.
      so it’s hard to nail down what’s helping, but I honestly think the LDN as that’s when my remaining symptoms (wet ear feeling, crawling sensations) in my ear subsided entirely.
      It’s entirely possible that I have Meniere’s and my current medications are preventing me from exhibiting any of the vestibular symptoms.
      I am having balance tests on the 7th of next month, so hopefully that helps with my diagnoses.
      Sorry, long explanation but might help someone.

How are you doing?

• Informative Informative x 2
    30. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the detailed explanation, it's definitely worth reading and I'm glad that you seem to be on the right way.

Do you think that your "old" tinnitus is connected to it somehow or is it just a coincidence/curse that you have both?

I'm doing so-so. Been better/been worse.