Weird Pressure Behind Earlobes and Nausea

Discussion in 'Support' started by obnoxious, Apr 18, 2022.

1. obnoxious

obnoxious Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sleeping with headphones
      Hi all, I have had tinnitus since November 2020 due to an accident where I fell asleep listening to low volume white noise. I classify my tinnitus as moderate-ish (on a scale 0-10 where 0.5-1 = "it can only be heard in a quiet room without plugging the ears" mine is probably between 4 and 5), and it did not lessen since the onset, but I am somehow habituated. I have also some form of TTTS that comes and goes.
      Approximately a week ago I started experiencing the following weird symptoms:
      • symmetrical pressure behind earlobes; not the typical pressure feeling like when the ears are clogged or "full" due to change in barometric pressure. It's rather like someone is applying pressure with a finger right behind my earlobes (below where it says 'Emin. of concha' - SFW);
      • some intermittent indescribable ear discomfort, like my ear canals are "tensing up" (whatever that even means).
      • none of them seem to be related to noise. I live in a very quiet city / area, and I stay mostly at home. No recent noise insult, no headphones.
      • I have nausea for several hours a day, that same feeling you have when you suddenly realize you did something wrong in a college written examination and makes you want to throw up; last such nausea episode I had in my life was probably 15 years ago. No dizziness nor vertigo.
      • the tinnitus is unchanged and so it the TTTS.
      I personally blame the fact that I will defend my PhD thesis the next week (after five years of research), and this is causing me a huge amount of worry; I will be judged by some eminent scientists in the field. Might the TMJ here be the culprit? Or what else might be going on? Anybody can relate?

Thank you!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      obnoxious

obnoxious Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sleeping with headphones
      Maybe I should have posted this in the hyperacusis category... Anyway, it seems very related to the tension of the jaw muscles.