Went Into Town Shopping Today

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason C, Oct 9, 2016.

1. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      It's so weird because in the past I had no problems with large malls or going shopping, I used to do it almost daily. Even last year I remember I had no problems with it being loud. But just over the year and I can't fathom going there without some ear plugs or something. If I do go without I am too nervous and expect some loud sound to come from nowhere so it's like a warzone. Same with other things. Like dogs barking, walking a busy street, going to the gym. none of these things bothered me, but somehow now they do. It's crap.

I've had T for a decade and more but this hyperacusis or fear of sound or whatever, it just came out of nowhere and creeped on me. I try to convince myself that some of these sounds really are loud but I know that it's me, I've become damaged. :unsure:

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      My personal view on all of this is............ if the place is loud, it's LOUD! Period! I don't need to stare at an app to tell me. Will only make me more stressed!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree with this. I pretty much know where my tolerance level is nowadays. However, I do occasionally check, but so much anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ain't that the truth, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Thanks for that, this app is maybe a little more accurate. Helps with the paranoia :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      @Jason C ...got t a few days after u and shopping is a sore subject, given that it's one of my main "hobbies" having to go without is tough...even hubby who used to wait begrudgingly outside shops now misses the old me and encourages me to go, doesn't even complain...unfortunately it's a difficult experience...loud, boxy, crowded and seeing everyone else have a good time Makes u feel isolated...

I'm focusing on more outdoor stuff at the moment...even though Winter will be upon us soon...

8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It still runs a tad high but not as much as other apps I've tried.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yup it sucks, trying my best to keep it together. I hope yours isn't reactive like mine. I find lots of gym (I turn the music down lol) red wine and being good to yourself helps.

10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Humans didn't evolve to withstand this level of noise every day for years.

11. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I see no reasons to be so negative - if you have sensitive eyes and it's sunny you aren't going to stay all day indoors - you slap a pair of the best light reducing sunglasses and your free to enjoy life

Same wiht ears, if you have sensitive ears just slap a pair of top notch muffs or good plugs if you worry about the look and problem solved

Not ideal but it's not like your disabled and chained to a wheel chair wheeling around the mall either

• Like Like x 1
    12. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Sunglasses won't impair your capacity to interact with other human beings. Earplugs exactly do that. + if you have extremely loud T, you can't stand earplugs too long
      There is no logic when people decide to make loud gigs so we should wear plugs to be safe. Can't we just lower the volume ?
      Human noise is a pollution when it's too much, just like carbon monoxide and many things ! There will be a time where people will say : "Oh, they had to face this level of noise in a 2016 city ? Unbelievable !".

Exactly, this or heavy traffic noise, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sure then stay at home until the "there will be a time" comes and until then complain about it on these forums if that's the way your planing to live

As a matter of fact T gets a lot lower once your brain is focused on discussing with others - even with muffs...

14. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      @Bobby B - can't you hear ur t much more with the muffs?

15. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Discussing with muffs : I don't call that discussing, sorry.

You know you can meet a lot of people and do a lot of things in environments that don't require earplugs or earmuffs. That's what I do. I found out that adapting is not a problem, it's an opportunity to live a new life, maybe more interesting. And I'm fine with it (not saying it's easy).

And be precise Bobby : your T doesn't get lower when you're talking to people, you just focus less on it.

16. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are jobs where people wear muffs or plugs all day and still discuss fine...

I was in the army we wore plugs and muffs all day and talked fine between taking turn shooting and so on, I really don't have any special feelings towards wearing protection around people

Depends where you live , I live in a big city where loud noise is everywhere

17. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I used to live there too. I moved. I'm happier far away from all this.