What Are Decibel Levels in a Cinema?

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeb, May 3, 2017.

1. meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      I am going to watch an action movie, despite my tinnitus being the worse it has ever been :(

I will be wearing 28 dB reduction earplugs, I used to wear them in the cinema years ago and I remember feeling comfortable of the sound with them in and I even couldn't hear the talking too well as the plugs were that effective.

Obviously I am worried, I never used to be as it never used to make my tinnitus worse but in the past 7 months, my tinnitus has gotten horribly worse, a percentage caused by anxiety.

2. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If your T is acting up, I'd sincerely recommend not going to see an action film... This is because even if you do have the highest possible protection from your earplugs, many of the sounds will go straight through via bone conduction. I am replying to this because last December I was making progress with my T, with it little by little getting a bit better. Then I went to see Star Wars movie with earplugs on. The bass trembles etc. went straight through and even though I thought I was safe, it caused a proper setback (all the progress I had was swept aside and my T returned to its worse). I could feel the noise spiking my T and I'm really not able to tell whether it was temporary or did it halt progress that would have otherwise resulted in much lower T... Who knows - all I know that for certain is that it caused my T spike big time and it took a looooooooooooong time to calm down at all.

The decibel levels of course vary a lot depending on the movie and theatre. Before going to see Star Wars I had just weeks ago seen Doctor Strange etc. So yes, it might not make anything worse - maybe it's even more probable than a permanent spike. But after the experience I had, not sure if I'm willing to take the risk anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Just don't go to IMAX! But I go to movies here and there. I just saw fast and furious. But if you don't feel right don't go!

• Like Like x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I go the cinema and wear noise reduction plugs and go on fine.
      Went see Fast and Furious 8 not long ago.
      My tinnitus was not due to noise exposure and ok with sound but still like protecting my ears.
      It's your mental well-being also and how it makes you fell and how you cope.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To be honest, I am not sure I want to sit there listening to my tinnitus with earplugs in with how bad it is right now, I might give it a miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      In a similar situation.

I have loud noise-induced tinnitus yet I don't want to avoid concerts and cinemas for the rest of my life. I saw the new Star Wars film in December with ear 36Db ear defenders on (quite ridiculous, I know), but had to remove them during the dialogue so I could actually hear the film!! Despite that, the bass managed to cut through the defenders and spiked my T for a few weeks.

I really need to see some of the latest films though, waiting for a DVD/Blu Ray release would be far too long given that so many of my friends would have seen them months beforehand! :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      I wear 20db ear plugs and never ever had an issue in twenty years

8. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      As I told earlier, the Star Wars movie caused a long spike for me as well. It was indeed full extremely loud bass, especially the action sequences. Ouch.

Then again maybe most movies are fine with good earplugs, but after that one... well, it's a risk one cannot know before going. I suffered such a bad setback that I really don't know whether it's worth it to go to the movies. At the same time it's a big sacrifice, since it used to be one of my favourite forms of escapism. Oh well.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
    10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have hyperacusis?

11. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      No, why?

12. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      When you have hyperacusis tinnitus is more likely to spike because of noise exposure.

13. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Most movies are around 80-85DB with small spikes of 90db. A movie should not cause any damage, but I wear musician plugs just incase :)

However, you don't need 9000000000 billion decibel reducing plugs for a movie! You're not concrete cutting, using power tools, shooting a gun or in a pumping night club!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      That's 10^9000000000000000000 fold reduction in noise. I like this.

I want those plugs, please add an amazon link ASAP.

:p

On a serious note, I hope you're right about those sound levels, I'm looking forward to going to a cinema again one day :)

15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      What stopping you? Do you have h? If so I understand.

16. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      When your T is reactive, it can create fear to be exposed to loud sounds even if the H is only minor. But in your case, I wouldn't worry as your T is stable and a cinema visit will not make it worse if protection is worn. (and even without protection, it is possible that you can watch 250 movies with stable T before your T might eventually get worse, it's not recommended though).

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Yeah, H.

18. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Ah yeah i guess. Its one of the reasons why im glad i found this site. If I hadn't i would stillbs going to gigs regularly and could of got worse t. I would like to go to a concert again one day but have just bought my first home so i am in no position to risk making it worse right now. Such is life i guess..

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went, watched Fast 8, unsurprisingly epic for action and didn't dissapoint, tinnitus has changed a bit, only the smallest bit though, I can tel it has been aggravated, or it might just be my anxiety, I do have reactive T and H, hopefully it calms soon. The sound levels with earplugs in felt like 65-75 decibels but there was quite a bit of vibrational bass from time to time which I felt in my body but not in my head at the time.

• Like Like x 3
    20. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      Glad to know I'm not alone with that sort of reactive T :) I really wanted to go and watch Rogue One a second time but didn't think it was worth the risk, so watched it on blu ray instead.

Just out of curiosity, how loud do sounds need to be give you significant spike like that one caused by the movie?

I exposed myself yesterday to about two hours of 70Db thumping bass that was coming from an adjacent room and it's horrendously spiked my T, like real bad. Personally it doesn't take that much to spike it.

21. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Slightly off topic but I think blu ray often looks better quality than in cinema, of course you need a reasonably good TV but still I think it does. Last time i went to the cinema was Batman V Superman and there were so many people talking/on phones/ popcorn it kinda put me off going.