What are "spikes"?

Neenie

Author
Nov 30, 2013
Tinnitus Since
09/2013
What are "spikes" that you all seem to talk about? I never have them. Mine is constant, never quiet. Always loud. Losing the plot. Can't wait to knock myself out with sedating meds each night to get a break. Have any of you tried Neuromonics?

well a spike is comparable to a limb twitching, in my case tinnitus can only be heard in quiet room but when i have a spike, suddenly in a matter of minutes even if i'm busy watching a movie or listening to music i hear a dentist drill in my head, if i plug my ears the dentist drill is less noisy than the typical ringing but somehow more noticeable, it seems like an erratic electric activity of the audio cortex .

For me, spikes tend to occur randomly. I have tinnitus that I can't typically drain out unless in a loud environment. But usually I can taper it with background music or noise. When it really spikes, nothing I do short of running water masks it.

What are "spikes" that you all seem to talk about? I never have them. Mine is constant, never quiet. Always loud. Losing the plot. Can't wait to knock myself out with sedating meds each night to get a break. Have any of you tried Neuromonics?

Neuromonics is largely debated as to its efficacy. When I first got tinnitus, I thought it was going to be the end all be all of help. When I (ironically) found this place, I discovered the large debate about its success versus cost.

AM-101 for acute tinnitus is the best option for those in the acute stages, but I think the current cut off for the studies are 3 months, with an extended study soon to come. Acoustic Neuromodulation seems to work for a lot of people, but not everyone. The concept is that you segregate your tinnitus by making the brain pay attention to tonal subsets. In doing this, the idea is that you can train the brain to plastize to significantly lower your attention (the pitch) to the noise. There is a do it yourself guide that I want to try, but I was overwhelmed by the process.

I have to try something. I can't just wake up each day and dread the whole day. Is AM-101 just in the animal clinical trials stage? I'm going to try Neuromonics. Its at least worth a shot!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now