What Are the Best Supplements to Improve Vision (Color Enhancement or Sharpness) and/or Visual Snow?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by JasonP, Jan 18, 2019.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Some months ago I was taking flaxseed oil (around 4 softgels a day for a couple of weeks) then skipped a couple of days and the next night, I wasn't feeling great before I took them and decided to take 4. The reason I was taking them was for dry eye and digestive problems. Well, It seemed like within 5 minutes my vision brightened. The colors instantly brightened like the brightness on a TV turned up. I also instantly had an improved mood.

My vision finally seemed great. In the past I thought my colors were dimmer than they should be but I just accepted it and got used to it on most days. Unfortunately I stopped taking the flaxseed oil because it made me lose a lot of hair. However, I was wondering if something else would work because I felt better on it, it had a great effect on dry eye, and made my vision great. In addition, I believe that light was being processed correctly my body and causing benefits such as mood improvement due to it.

I found a website that shows supplements that are supposed to enhance vision. Has anyone tried any of these and could you recommend them? I also have visual snow in the dark which isn't a big deal to me but if it can be corrected, I think that is great. I really don't have the money now to buy a bunch of supplements and test each one out.

Here is the link:

http://www.yourfamilyclinic.com/nutrition/visionandhearing.html

They mention fish oil, flaxseed oil, l-tyrosine, Pregnenolone, CDP Choline, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Vinpocetine, and others.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I find it strange the Flaxseed oil improved your vision so much. Make sure you are getting your daily value of vitamin A. Just don't overdo it, vitamin A is one one of those that can be overdosed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yeah, I was surprised too. It's weird because I took it back in 2009 and had some great benefits. I never had dry eye, my skin was better, and my mood swings were gone. It worked great for my depression. The problem though is that it was causing lots of hair loss, I was urinating too much, and it changed the texture of my hair somehow, possibly by making it more oily, and it would make the back of my hands itch if I ran my fingers through my hair. (The last problem wasn't that big of a deal but the first two were starting to bother me.)

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      An Ophthalmologist told a family member to take Preservision vitamins. My Optometrist told me anything with Lutein.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Milky Way

Milky Way Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caused by stress and music as far as I know
      I would recommend trying some saffron tea (just steep a few saffron stigmas in hot water) for vision and mood enhancement. I have had spectacular results.
      Carrots also are excellent, provided you grate them before consuming for better absorption.
      Lastly, as much as possible, do not wear sun glasses in sunlight. This will actually strengthen your eyes and improve your general health.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I regularly apply a combination of magnesium oil and DMSO on my lower back and neck for pain and stiffness relief. I then decided to look into whether I should apply it to my eyes as well. After doing a lot of research, I decided to close my eyes, and apply the "residue" of the DMSO mixture to the outside of my eyelids.

It was the absolutely best thing I've ever done for my eyes (and I've done a lot). My steady deterioration of sight stopped, and the chronic tiredness and inability to focus after only a short amount of time on the computer stopped as well. I've also read online reports of people using it to dissolve cataracts (DMSO is a natural solvent). DMSO improves circulation and reduces inflammation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Now, that I think about it, I think it has to do with sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. When you get more of the sympathetic nervous system active, it can widen the pupils more and let light in. My nervous system has been so weird lately that I am seeing the bathroom light in a yellowish color or more whitish color depending on what my body is doing. Hopefully things will get under control.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      How has your visual snow been Jason? Were you able to improve it at all??

9. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      DMSO is a miracle substance. I use it for tendonitis and it works like nothing else.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I only really notice visual snow in dimly lit or dark areas. I don't notice it when things are bright.

11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Never heard of the stuff. Do you take it in a tablet or powder form? What would you estimate a month's supply would cost? Sounds like awesome stuff.

12. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Daniel Lion -- I've used it extensively for 2-3 years now, and can emphatically say that it is awesome stuff. I created a thread on some of the things I've learned about it, how I use it, and how it "might" help in some cases of TTTS and/or tinnitus. Here's a link to the thread:

DMSO & Magnesium Oil for Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I think I may be able to shed some more light onto this situation now. I left out some information the first time I originally posted AND I found some more information about myself that I didn't know then. Originally, along with the flaxseed oil that I was taking at the time, I also was taking lithium orotate twice a day. For some reason, the lithium orotate must have been preventing the full affects of the flaxseed oil because I didn't notice any extreme shedding but I also didn't notice the great feeling from flaxseed oil. I then stopped both of them I believe due to gastrointestinal effects cause by the lithium orotate. After going without them for a day or two, I took the flaxseed oil and then it kicked in within a few minutes kind of like a light switch. I am thinking it is because I didn't take the lithium orotate. I felt my hair immediately afterward and it felt very weird and I noticed I was shedding a lot.

In the past year or so I have found out that I have dysautonomia and also l have also tested for low testosterone. This was when I wasn't taking any supplements. What's weird is, I have read where flaxseed oil can lower testosterone, but when I have taken it, it usually makes me feel better. I have noticed the light bulb effect multiple times now and think it is due to dysautonomia. I'm not sure if this information will help anyone but I figured I would put it out there.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I have another theory as to what happened. I'm wondering if the flaxseed oil which I combined with bread at the time, increased my adrenaline. Adrenaline causes the pupils to dilate and gives a surge in energy and that is why I am thinking I got an adrenaline boost because it happened instantly. Also, when I was taking flaxseed oil on a regular basis years ago, I could exercise much easier. And maybe the reason why I didn't get a boost of adrenaline before was because the lithium orotate was preventing me from getting an adrenaline rush. This makes sense because lithium orotate usually calmed me down and my exercise tolerance was less.

I do have one question though, why would flaxseed oil and bread cause such an adrenaline rush so fast? I took it the other day and the same thing happened, but unfortunately later on that night, I got a very bad anxiety attack, the likes of which I haven't felt in a long time. Is it possible that I have some kind of candida in the gut and the flaxseed oil and bread is affecting it? I mean, it's crazy how quickly this changes my nervous system, even with half 3/4 of a tablespoon. What else could be causing this? This doesn't seem normal at all. It is most certainly not a placebo effect.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      My visual snow still only seems to be an issue in the dark, although I am wondering if a medication called Corlanor improved it for me due my dysautonomia.
      I'm not exactly sure but I have an idea now on what may be happening. It may be that the Flaxseed oil somehow is getting more proper blood flow to my eyes somehow. Yesterday I wore an abdominal binder to get more blood flow to my head and I noticed when I was in the car in the early evening, the road signs were the clearest I ever remember seeing them and the colors were vivid the whole day. My mood also was improved because I had more blood flow to my brain. It seems like my problem has something to do with my dysautonomia.

17. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @JasonP -- I've done extensive research on liver/gall bladder cleanses/flushes over many years. I ran across many testimonials by people who said their vision was greatly improved after doing these cleanses. I think it's possible that anything that affects liver function could induce some kind of detoxification, and lead to various kinds of symptoms, which I assume most of which would be temporary.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks for the suggestion, I think the candida stuff I said a while back was way off. The cleanse things seem like they could help.