What can we expect from habituation?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Kathi, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hi Dr. Nagler,

I am progressing--it's been a year and I'm becoming accustomed to my tinnitus. I've learned to not let the ups and downs effect me too much and I'm no longer living for a cure. I just really want to know what it is to be truly habituated. Is one still aware of tinnitus or does it fade from awareness? I've noticed that I am caring less and less but it still causes me concern. Most times I know it's present but don't care but there are other times when I'm not sure if it's just a low tinnitus day or I am habituating.

I'm doing okay--actually, so much better than the first six months. Will there come a time when I don't worry about the next day? I do know that tinnitus is totally unpredictable and am learning to live with it and just carry on.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Perhaps look at it this way ...

Habituation is the process of getting to the point where you largely don't care about your tinnitus. And, of course, the less you care about your tinnitus, the less you will be aware of it unless you purposely seek it. Habituation does not affect the loudness or pitch of your tinnitus - just your reaction to it. And if you purposely seek it, your tinnitus will still be there.

So you're on your way.

Excellent!

I don't know. Honestly, how would I? But even if you get 90% of the way there, that's still incredibly good, no?

You are very welcome.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2