What Caused My Tinnitus? On Temazepam and Alprazolam for Decades

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Alycat, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Alycat

Alycat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus started in October 2021 out of the blue one morning. I've been taking Temazepam for decades for insomnia and Xanax (Alprazolam) for anxiety too. I'm suspecting that habituation has occurred with the Temazepam so I am currently working with my MD to taper that. Rough going... Lots of stress since the fall because my invalid mother passed away and multiple other causes. Constant shhhhshhhhing in both ears and occasionally just the right ear.

I've tried everything. Acupuncture, hearing aids, Reiki, massage, cognitive behavior therapy (still ongoing). Frustration and insomnia are wearing me down. Any thoughts?

One question, perhaps I should taper the Xanax first? My doctors are not all that helpful and don't really seem to get it. Please give me some input.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Hi there @Alycat - Welcome to the forum. I'm new-ish here too. Just wanted to say hi, send you condolences about your mother, and tell you that I too suffer from stress and anxiety and loss of sleep dealing with tinnitus.

There are a lot of seasoned vets here that can probably give you their advice. I'm not sure what's a good approach with your Xanax.

For me, I've only been using Ativan for a short while, so I decided, with my doctor's guidance, to stop taking it. She replaced it with Gabapentin, which is working okay so far. I also take Trazodone at night to help me fall asleep.

Anyway, good to meet you, and I hope you stay strong. I know how hard it is.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      Not to take over this thread but can I ask you if the Trazodone affects your tinnitus at all? I thought about trying it myself, but not sure if it is safe for tinnitus.

4. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Hi @Shelbylynn - Trazodone has had no effect on my tinnitus. I've been using Trazodone for about a month now.

• Like Like x 1