What Causes a Beeping Type of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DMT, Dec 2, 2020.

1. DMT

DMT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What causes a beeping type of tinnitus? It’s on/off constantly. Sometimes it does settle, either on for a while, or off for a while, but some days it goes back and forth so much it just sounds like beeping.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It is in one ear and on the same side as I have TMJD.

I had an MRI almost 2 years ago and it was normal. Slight hearing loss in that ear but it has been that way for years. This all began 5 years ago.

2. fred galespi
      Depressed

fred galespi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan 20, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music...tools...tractors...firearms
      I am not sure how this forum works, and have messed up before...anyway my wife has recently developed a similar beeping in her right ear. It bothers her most in the morning when she wakes up, but will continue throughout the day bothering her at various levels. She tries to explain what it actually sounds like but she is unable to duplicate the perceived sound. She has not consulted with a ENT or any tinnitus expert yet...

3. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      It's called "typewriter tinnitus" or "morse code tinnitus"

Here's a thread on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not sure, because this does not sound exactly like that, but middle ear myoclonus/TTTS present itself tipically in intermittent sounds, but more like thumping or clicking.

5. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Could you dig into the "beeping" more?

1. Does it have a sharp, staccato quality, like gunfire/a typewriter/popcorn popping? Is it something that comes on, beeps for a few minutes or hours, then stays away for a while? Is it always on one side?

2. Or is it more of a quiet Morse code like signal that's there all the time, beepy-beeping relatively constantly, sometimes switching sides, or even being on both sides at the same time.

This distinction matters a lot. Type 1 is called "typewriter tinnitus" and it is caused by the auditory nerve being compressed/demyelinated and occasionally going into these bursts ("paroxysms" in medical terminology). Good news is that there's a drug for this, Carbamazepine, which treats or sometimes even cures the condition.

Type 2 is just a variety of plain old tinnitus. I have this kind, too. Typical tinnitus advice applies to it: there's no effective treatment; it can be a bitch for a while; but you'll eventually get used to it and live a full life again. Also, based on forum stories (and my own story), "Morse-code" tinnitus seems to change over time into a more constant, less bothersome signal. If you have this variety, there's nothing to do but take care of your ears from now on and get on with your life. It'll probably calm down in a few months and you'll get used to it, too.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DMT

DMT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your response. I would say that it sometimes is more constant and at other times it is quiet for minutes to hours. It’s like it can’t decide whether to ring or not. When it gets like this it is difficult to habituate... especially when trying to sleep. It is always on the right side. Same side I have TMJ issues. My GP thought it might be ETD. One ENT said I have hyperacusis, but I don’t have any pain with it. Although certain sounds do tend to aggravate it more.

Could it be tension in jaw or neck/shoulders?

Really appreciate feedback.

7. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Well, it does sound like typewriter tinnitus (just on one side, comes in bursts).

If I were you I'd print this Nature article and bring it with me to your doctor:

Typewriter tinnitus revisited: The typical symptoms and the initial response to carbamazepine are the most reliable diagnostic clues

The article is about typewriter tinnitus, and explains how Carbamazepine can be used to diagnose it (if it responds to Carbamazepine by immediately going away, that's the culprit; if it doesn't respond, it's something else). And then ask the doctor for a small dose of the medicine. It's a serious med, so please read up on the side effects beforehand and decide whether they're worth it, but it can be a possible solution to your problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DMT

DMT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Hans!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DMT

DMT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have experienced the type of clicking sounds that are described as “typewriter “ tinnitus, but what I experience most is an off/on “hissing” type of tinnitus. It can be a constant sound at times and other times I don’t hear it, but then there are times when it goes back and forth... on/off within seconds of each other. Not sure what that type of tinnitus is.