What Cured Me and May Be Your Cause

Discussion in 'Support' started by LisaWalker, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I dont think its helpful getting into a conversation about who's T/type of T is worse, so I'm not saying any more on that subject.

2. exodus
      Cold

exodus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008
      thank you for your reply markku

i have a very negative point of view on this drug .as i ve read that it s used in france for helping people who are drug addicted to replace their drug addiction by this and also it s considered as very dangerous drug and can t bought without presciption.
      also some of these drug addicted are using it as drug by mixing it with alcohool and getting high with it.in some overseas territories of france,there is a black market of this.

this is the reason why i ve asked about it

btw the french name of this medic is rivotril

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yep. It's also used in Finland (and I guess elsewhere) for people who are addicted to opiates and are stopping opiate use, doctors then substitute those harsher drugs with clonazepam (which is Rivatril in Finland... kind of close to its French name).

And yes, it's a prescription drug. But if you ask your doctor and show him the above clonazepam study as reference, he or she might very well prescribe you clonazepam just to try it out. "For those tougher days to cope", for example.

But if you are going to try it, let us know how it turned out.

Markku

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LisaWalker

LisaWalker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/09/2009
      I haven't been on this site for a couple weeks, but I noticed it became quite a conversation about clonazepam that I mentioned in my earlier post. I have been using it as needed, .5mg for over 2 years. By as needed, I mean maybe once or twice a week. I had been using it almost every night a few years back for a couple months to aid in my anxiety/depression. There were no issues with addiction whatsoever. So personally, I wouldn't have anxiety about becoming addicted to the anti-anxiety medication. (irony). ANY medication taken over a period of time should never be halted but slowly ramped down.
      A further thought:
      When I was in the thick of it, meaning my tinnitus, depression and anxiety, I got on many posts like these and tinnitus sites and became almost obsessive in my research. It really became more depressing. Similar stories from people, some hopeful, some crying out for help. For me, it made me focus on the tinnitus more.
      As I mentioned in an earlier post, depression makes the tinnitus louder, or more correctly, it SEEMS to become louder. It really doesn't get any louder but the person's reaction to it makes it seem louder and extremely unbearable. That's what depression does. And it was a catch 22: the depression is causing a higher reaction to the tinnitus and the tinnitus is causing me to fall deeper into depression.
      When I was reading the forums, sites, etc., I said to myself if I ever got better I would post it somewhere about what I learned. So this is where I decided to post.
      My depression is gone thanks to 150mg Zoloft and the .5mg clonazepam, and with it the loudness and reaction to tinnitus. I still have tinnitus but I'm aware of it much less. Sure, there are moments when I notice it more, but I can ignore it NOW. I also noticed when I am stressed or the depression might be trying to rear its ugly head again, the sound would become louder. The tinnitus has become an alarm system to warn me about depression.

I hope my post enlightens or at least brings some further information or comfort to you all.

-Lisa

• Like Like x 5
    5. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Would this also work if i have had exposure to loud music?

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Do you mean Clonazepam Waldo? If so then yes it can work for some to reduce T volume, (actual volume or perception we dont know), for noise-induced tinnitus. I would say be very careful though and read all the posts on here about it. It can be addictive and is not seen by many experts as being a long-term solution.

7. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yeah, thats what i meant. Thank you for your respond Louise. I wonder what the difference is in having Tinnitus due to Loud Sound Exposure and someone who has it because of other reason who still have very good gearing. Thanks for your advice louise..

8. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      For those of us with no insurance, little money, and hence no medical care, can any of the drugs discussed in this forum be acquired legally through the mail via Canadian or Mexican pharmacy? Are there any natural or raw substitutes for Clonazepam, Xanax, and the like? i.e. a good friend of mine has found that Trivita's Nopalea has improved quality of life for him and several people to whom he's recommended it. Now he simply sources the raw cactus and preps it himself for pennies on the dollar, getting the exact same effect.

9. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I have been diagnosed with a major depression. When I took my first dose of escitalopram it made me emotionally numb . I got scared and didn't take it after that.

Xanax made my T almost unnoticeable for some time

10. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      It calms down the brain and nerves. Therefore the neurons are firing less.
      Unfortunately it is no long-term med.

11. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Asian The effects of an AD will not be realised for a a number of weeks. You should put up with it and see if it helps you long term.

12. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      It's interesting. When I was on just an SSRI, the tinnitus was there but didn't bother me. It was a minor issue. However, when I took fish oil with it, I got really messed up after a few weeks. Got off the fish oil, and the T went back down and stopped being bothersome. Problem was I became apathetic. I don't do well on the SSRI's. I wish I had never had taken them because they were the wrong drug for me. If I could do it again, I would probably take melatonin and fish oil and maybe an occasional passion flower/valerian root combo. Now, the fish oil can have a bad effect on my T, but if it wasn't there I would feel pretty good.

13. Bernard85

Bernard85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe I am just being positive, but I am almost certain there will be an all-round cure within the next 10, maybe 20 years. Science isn't standing still and we are discovering new stuff in record rate. Within 10 years they will send humans to Mars. I am pretty sure something good will come up for T as well as we are uncovering more about the human brain.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bernard85 I think actually curing tinnitus is likely to be a much, much, much harder problem to solve than putting someone on Mars. Macro scale problem with 50 years of tech behind it, vs nano scale problem that needs entirely new solutions.

I think that there are likely to be treatments that may help some people in the next 10-20 years, but am actual cure? Maybe 200 years?

15. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      yeah but there is a spiritual barrier keeping humans from escaping donchano.

16. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Rivotril completely messed me up , ears included.
      Stay away