What Does Feeling Pressure in Ear (No Pain) After Exposure to Loud Noise Mean?

Discussion in 'Support' started by VinceMan, Apr 11, 2023.

1. VinceMan

VinceMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've had noise-induced tinnitus for the last 15 years, which worsened on four occasions (all due to partying).

Unfortunately, I experienced another incident last week. I was next to an empty wheelie bin where someone put in around 20 glass bottles. This made an enormously loud sound, which made me want to cover my ears. I tried to do this as fast as possible, but unfortunately, I noticed a change in 'pressure' in my right ear. I remember this pressure from the four other occasions which gave me noise-induced tinnitus. The difference is that this time the accident didn't worsen my tinnitus.

I still have light pressure in my right ear, and sometimes I also think I have some pressure in my left ear. Does anyone know what this is? I don't have any pain in my ear or any sensitivity to everyday sounds. It is seven days since the experience.

I would appreciate all effort to write a reply to me. It triggered some anxiety about my hearing. Thank you very much.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Jenny_S

Jenny_S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi @VinceMan,

From what you have described and you’ll already know, sounds like your ear reacted to the loud sound. I get this when a noise is too loud for me - I get a fullness in the affected ear (I have noxacusis).

It’s great to hear you have no pain or sensitivity. I would just advise auditory rest until the pressure subsided. If you are worried, talk to your Doctor.

Hoping your pressure is relieved soon.

• Like Like x 1
    3. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      "Fullness" in the ear is something that often accompanies tinnitus. Is that what you're experiencing? If so, mine went away a few months after I got tinnitus. Sorry to hear about yours flaring up like that. It's difficult to protect our ears all the time, the world is a noisier place now.

There was a large dumpster maybe 50' from my last apt in Tucson. They made huge amounts of noise every morning about 6AM when it was emptied. My bedroom had a window by the head of the bed, and it would have been nice to hear the birds singing in the early mornings because there was a tree by that window. But w/ the tinnitus, I had to keep that window closed due to the noise. The neighbor in the backyard guest house was only 20 feet or so from the dumpster, and she always slept w/ her windows open. For some reason it never bothered her.

Of course, this was someone who we had told over and over not to go hiking in the hills alone in the 105 degree summer heat. Sure enough she did it anyway, got lost w/ no cell phone service, and said she was only able to get back by contacting our backyard chicken telepathically to get help. The noise from the dumpster not bothering her was probably explained because she lived in some other planet in her head.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1