What Ear Testing Should I Get or Avoid? Reactive Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Unilateral Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by MJ Burton, Nov 27, 2018.

1. MJ Burton

MJ Burton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi all

First... let me say how much I appreciate you and knowing you are out there. This is a very lonely condition, isn't it.

I have extremely ultra high pitch tinnitus which is reactive and hyperacusic. Hearing loss too. Unilateral after damaging incident with occlusion and loud sound several weeks ago.

Have avoided doctors as I know how useless they often are...but now need to face the music and get tested. My ear is extremely sensitive... and it feels like a badly blown speaker. Perhaps I have a fistula??

What tests should I get and which avoid to prevent more damage. Thank you!!

...oh... I should add..that since he incident... my ear feels full and dead and exposed. Like it's swollen in the cochlear. My hearing changed quite suddenly on that side too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I would definitely head to the doc asap to see if hearing is damaged and make sure the eardrum is structurally sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Geez. Might I ask what happened?
      An audiogram at least so you'll know how much hearing loss you have which could help with getting hearing aids?
      It's honestly the only one I'd recommend since you already know it was from noise trauma. Manual ear cleaning if your doc needs to get earwax out.

Edit: When I got mine done there was either a LDL or acoustic reflex prior that my audiologist warned me of in advance and allowed me to decline. Some docs might not extend this courtesy. I believe it is fair to request your doc to walk you through the process and tell you what they will do before it is performed. That way you don't go through with anything that would make you uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 1