What Hobbies Do You Have? (and Does Tinnitus Interfere?)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DiDDo, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      The loud sound of your Harley gives you residual inhibition. So other areas of your auditory context are more active. For some, T is quiet afterwards for seconds, for some minutes and for others longer.

2. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      hi,
      well astronomy is the big one , i study the moon, planets, sun, double stars and deep sky visually with different types of telescopes and binoculars,the next one is playing acoustic guitar/singing,used to play in bands now i enjoy busking in local parks,lovely outdoor setting and you meet nice people along the way,then i include casual hiking,biking and kayaking as time permits...and reading astronomy books

• Like Like x 2
    3. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      Hi Clive - my wife and I are also motorcyclists, although not Harleys - unfortunately wind/engine noise makes my T worse but I use noise-cancelling earphones and play an mp3. Afterwards the T is a little less. T is definitely not going to stop us from what we enjoy - we ride across the country each year on a four-six week ride of some 10,000kms and love every minute of it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. E1243
      Alone

E1243 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I loved music. I started learning piano a few years before my tinnitus started. I went to the piano one day as usual, and when I pressed a single key there was a terrible pain in my ears, forcing me to stop, followed by ringing which became worse over time. I tried to learn how to compose and tried only using digital instruments rather than acoustic ones, but any noise made it worse, so I gave up doing anything music related. I love art though, and I started learning how to draw recently, but it doesn't feel as physical and rewarding like playing piano was.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Great idea!
      Well for me:
      spending time with my kids
      Reading
      pc/computer/console/board gamer
      watching movies/tv series
      gardening
      golf
      photography
      going to take up astronomy, been taking a few walks at night lately, live in the country, beautiful sky at night.
      to learn French
      and to serve in my church.

Much of this is on hold for me as I am trying to get stable. I can manage golf, but anything more physical like even bending over to pick up sticks in my yard and the blood rushes to the head and the T is more pronounced, so not sure how active I will be in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Dang boy! ur 1 lucky sob

7. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I used to be a musician, but tinnitus and hyperacusis robbed that of me. I sold my drums and I'm contemplating selling my guitars.

I have a year and a half old leopard gecko who is my only friend in the world right now. He is both a hobby and an amazing pet.

When my hands, wrists, forearms and elbows aren't in pain I like to play video games.

When I have a brain fog, headache, ear pain and vertigo free day I enjoy reading. Most of the time it is too difficult to focus on lengthy reading, which is a shame because I have all the alone time in the world.

I have no social life anymore, and most of the time I feel too sick and horrible to do anything so I either lay in bed and do nothing, sit in front of my computer watching game streams without volume, or go for short, zombie-like walks around my neighborhood.

It could be worse I guess.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Reading
      Computer
      Gardening
      Canning garden produce
      Cooking
      Volunteering at an elementary school (kindergarten)
      Volunteering at church (teaching 2nd grade, Bible study, fundraising)
      Embroidery
      Scrap booking
      Puzzles
      Crafts

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Im a crazy cat lady! proud owner of a long haired maine coon - Milly
      I enjoy being in my garden, nature walks, gym, being near the water. I am classically trained (piano) and still like a tinker..but never liked performing for others. I like to draw and paint, and meet new people. I have recently discovered VODKA! lol

• Like Like x 2
    10. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Video games, never stopped probably never will.
      Come to think about it I always stayed in and played video games, watched movies, TV shows and stuff.
      GOD I WAS ON TO SOMETHING THEN I REALLY WAS.
      Right now if instead of going to some bullshit gig 16th of august I would have stayed home playing WoW I would be in sweet silent bliss right now ignorant to the ways of Tinnitus.
      I still can't believe how unlucky I am.
      No loud noise exposure, no concerts, 2 gigs I mean really fucking 2 gigs and bam Tinnitus like I've been to hundreds of gigs.
      Sometimes I hate my luck.
      I wish there could be a test to see if a persons Tinnitus was permanent day one.
      I would go they would either say it's not so I would laugh my way to complete recovery or they would say it is and I would deal with it the best I could.
      This way I have to deal with it but still hoping that it'll go since I don't really have a history of noise abuse.
      Man I hope it goes, I'll be devastated if this is how I get Tinnitus by going to 2 shitty gigs.
      Life really sucks sometimes (you can't imagine how angry I get when someone tells me it's just the lord testing you).
      God really reminds me of a bad girlfriends in that way.
      -Believe in God
      -"Lol you just believe cause you're not in deep shit"
      -Gets cancer
      -"Let me see you believe now"
      ?
      In short, video games lots of them, God I wish I just played games.

11. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      When I found crickets, Jeff, they were the doorway for me back into reading, especially Mike Petroff's nature tracks. They're ideal for me because they mitigate the sounds I hear in my head better than any other recordings I've tried.
      David

12. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Thanks David!! I will give them little chirppers a try!! I appreciate the heads up!

Hope you are well!!

Jeff

13. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I listen to crickets many hours per day. Of course not pleasant, but they mix up with my high frequent T.
      Unfortunately I still have problems standing the noise in my head and listening to it.

14. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Try audio books.
      I myself currently listening to "Mr. Mercedes", the new one from Stephen King.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Audio books...great idea @Martin69 ! Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Peace!

16. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I wanted to add that I thought I'd never ride (motorcycles) again (my post above) but this month I have been! I use a good ear plug and got a new helmet that covers my ears. It doesn't look very cool :) but that doesn't matter anymore. I got a 3/4 coverage Harley helmet with a visor and sun visor. It really is pretty good--so slowly but surely, I'm getting my old life back. I rode and didn't have a spike or any problems.

• Like Like x 2
    17. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      • Like Like x 1
    19. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      Here's a picture I drew earlier this month :) foxtrot_by_freyfox-d81vkle.png

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    20. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013

I love to ride my bike! Last year I thought it was over.....but... well I I still riding. Bought myself the sickest bike on the planet. The Husqvarna Nuda 900. Every time I see it I want to do a little dance. It sounds brutal (a little bit like a harley, but propper). You either love it or ....wel you are wrong! ;)

949918d1341217520-superbikes-spotted-india-husqvarna-nuda-900r-04.jpg

Noise wise: Buy a schuberth C3-pro helmet. It is a very quiet helmet. Despite the price, they are very popular in the Netherlands and Germany among a certain group of riders. It feels like putting your head in a mini BMW.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/schuberth-c3-pro/review.htm

• Like Like x 2
    22. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Nail art. Even though it's a quiet hobby I always manage to block my tinnitus out.

• Like Like x 1
    23. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Motorbike, video games, cycling, chess and tv are my hobbies. T has effected every one of them somewhat. If you play Forza Horizon two on xbox one let me know. We can race.
      I have a Honda VFR800i. What bike do you have?

24. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      The VFR's are great. Never ridden one though. I have the plan to buy a RC36 (VFR750) and turn it in to a cafe racer type of thing. I just love the sound of the V4 engine....just plain love it (not as good as my Husky Nuda 900).

25. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yeah mines a 2001 pre vtec version. As you know the 750 has a cult following. Good luck with your project.

26. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      The project is a very long time deal. First ned to buy one, ride it for a while...
      Awhile back I found this video, cool build and awesome sound....
      Honda VFR 750 streetfighter sound

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Bringing this post back to life. :) Was nice reading through all your hobbies and interests.

I enjoy camping/hiking with my family. We have a Pop-Up Camper and visit different State/National Parks. I love it. I wish I was camping all the time it gives me the most relief from T. The outdoors is soothing it helps me forget about the T.
      I also crochet. I learned to crochet after I got T and it has helped me tremendously. I taught my 6yo daughter how to crochet and now we crochet together and it is much fun. I also enjoy digital scrabbooking.

What I USED to enjoy was target shooting with my husband and "that" I have not found the courage to try again after I got T. (Don't tell him, but I was a better shooter..lol) I miss this because it was something I did with my husband that we both enjoyed... I get very sad when I see him go to the range alone. Well, he did surprised me and got me a Bow! Sooooo watch out 'cus I'm going to learn how to Bow-hunt soon! :) Exciting!

I most absolutely enjoy Bible Studies. It brings me closer to God and certainly strengthens my faith. Plus, I enjoy fellowship with my sisters in Christ. :)

• Like Like x 2
    28. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @OnceUponaTime

It's unfortunate that you feel that you had to give up something that both you and your husband enjoyed doing together. You might want to try what I've been doing for years when I shoot. I use two stages of hearing protection. I wear ear plugs and then shooter's ear muffs over them. I've never experienced a spike in my T after shooting since I've been doing that.

29. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @jimH

That is how I used to do it before I got T. It is encouraging to me, to hear that you still go shooting after T without any spikes. How long have you been shooting after you got T? Any "particular ear muffs"? I think that I actually do not have the courage to go back because of my fears that it may get worst. It is something I have to work on... maybe I can start by shooting the BB gun...lol. I remember one time going to the range with my husband and I stayed in the car, watching from far. That made me so mad at this T crap. :( I try not to let T interfere with my everyday life but there are areas in which it does. Also, do you shoot indoors or outdoors?? Because, I don't think I can shoot indoors ever again.

30. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @OnceUponaTime

To answer your questions:

I've been shooting since the 80's with T. I only shoot at outdoor ranges since I've developed T.

I did a search and read some reviews for you. These shooter's muffs were given a 5 star rating by 45 out of 56 customers. Ten other customers rated them at 4 stars. So, check them out to see if you think that they may be superior to the ones you've been using:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083ZZH2U/?tag=tinntalk-20

However, I do not shoot while I am experiencing a severe/raging Tinnitus spike. So far, they usually only last for a matter of hours or a couple of days. In fact, I don't have any desire to do anything other than the basic necessities of life during those periods.

Anyway, I hope that you'll be able to enjoy going to the range with your husband again some day. If you do, try not to rub it in too much when you out shoot him...;)

• Like Like x 1