What Is It About Tinnitus That Upsets You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Feb 8, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      What is it about tinnitus that upsets you?

2. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Mostly the color and the fact T won't clean my bathroom. Other than that, T rocks.

• Funny Funny x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      In my case I mainly fear an aggravation of my tolerable T.

• Agree Agree x 6
    4. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      It reminds me constantly that I am an absolute weapons grade asshole.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      The hearing distortions/reactive t/h are even more upsetting than the constant T tones.
      it was caused by the actions of others.
      it was preventable in multiple ways.
      it took away my favorite thing in an instance.
      it hasn't gotten better.
      it can get worse.
      it's always there, masking is pointless, some of my constant tones are unmaskable, and sound sources cause additional tones over top of the sound.
      its a constant reminder of how incredibly bizarrely bad my life has gone.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
    7. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      I used to run almost everyday. It irritates me that I stopped because I was afraid it was making it worse and my thought were focused on on tinnitus when I did. In general, it consumes a good portion of my thoughts just by being there. Seeing doctors about has been a waste of money, and even though I want thorough tests done I fear that those would be another waste of money.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      If i could make music, I would just live with it. Currently I cannot make music. Which is killing me.

• Hug Hug x 5
    9. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      So far what bothers me the most is the misunderstandings.
      My boyfriend doesn't understand that watching the hockey game is usually too loud for my ears.
      We used to fight a lot about me not being able to hear him but he's started to make adjustments so that this doesn't happen.
      What is hard is being with my co-workers or out in public. I don't want to try to explain to people 1. that I have some pretty fierce tinnitus and 2. that every noise makes it worse. and 3. that I can't hear what they're saying because of it.
      Tinnitus is something that I definitely over-looked before it became a part of my daily life.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Losing music, AND losing meditation in one swoop, and those things being replaced by a bunch of horrible intrusive sounds. I have tried really hard to meditate with it, and yes i've tried lots, focusing on it, or not, or using various methods to even "distract" from it during meditation, but it still always is invasive, and I can not mentally/physically deal with it long in meditation so far with all methods i try.

And losing both of those things at once has an exponential impact on the rest of my "life". Unreal, why would that happen. Having to go from primary focus being music to being unable to listen to music, but also bothered in silence, but external sound like music, white noise, traffic, anything, also showing up additional tones, more intrusive than the constant T tones. Can't meditate, I can just barely read (and actually absorb what I'm reading),

Most sounds outdoors in the modern world are now also too loud, but really the fact that everything sounds wrong is more bothersome than it simply being too loud. No matter what I try to do now, I constantly get pulled back into noticing the hearing crap, and realizing i'm not doing what I want to do, I can't do what I want to do, this is bad, do something else, oh no it interferes with this to, this makes me focus on it, this has music in it the music sounds horrible, this is depressing do something else this is bad too, everything reminds me of what I'm trying to distract myself from.

11. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      and then trying to sleep and then it all starts over again.

12. rzhang
      Transparent

rzhang Member

11 years and the fear is still there huh? The spikes constantly remind me.

13. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      This forum is probably my primary "effective" distraction from my hearing...isn't that depressingly weird? I do find it different from reading even very interesting books, even with those, I still am either bothered by the constant T, or the sound around me, or the sounds on top of the sounds which sound horrible, and then I can't read, and then I get frustrated I can't read because of the T etc.

I used to do Qi Gong too, and now struggle with it similarly to meditation, for similar reasons.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      The thing about T that bothers me the most is I am a control freak and have no control over it. T just does what it wants to do and I live with it 24/7. For the most part I have habituated to it and have learned to except it but the first few monthes I was a wreck. Now going into my 14 month I go hours at a time and am not aware of it. I do try to avoid very noisey or quiet places. At night I play nature sounds with water falls and or birds chirping and can sleep fairly normal again. My life has returned to pretty much the way I was except I wear ear protection when in a noisey environment. If i get a day that it gets on my nerves I pop a xanax but not often. In the beginning I was on two 0.5 a day but weened off of them in a few monthes. You got to do what you have to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      not being able to make my music dream come true. (this was a huge thing for me)
      not being able to enjoy live music (this was a huge thing for me)
      not being able to go out with my friends as i used to (this was a huge thing for me)
      the fear of traveling by airplane (this was a huge thing for me)
      the fear of it getting worse.
      the frustration of people treating me as a hypo, not even my family understands me.

thats it

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Does travelling by plane make it worse? I'm a newbie and while I find certain things make it worse, I also find that as soon as that trigger is removed I'm generally okay - and by okay I mean my t is definitely still there, just not to a point that I want to rip out my ear drums. I'd like to think that I would continue living a normal life even if it meant a tinnitus "exacerbation" but who knows.
      I DO however, understand not enjoying going out with friends in the same manor. I felt so bad for my friend the other day because I could barely hold up a conversation while visiting her after a 12 hour shift (I find my level of fatigue to be a HUGE factor) I've noticed that I don't read as much as I'd like to now. I do find practicing piano helps because I'm so focused on the sounds of the song and playing correctly but initially learning a song can be very frustrating because I can't focus enough to play the correct notes, tempo ect.

17. rzhang
      Transparent

rzhang Member

@devonlee

It's mostly bad it you have ETD or are sick at the time. Ear infections/sinus infections are terrible to fly with. The last few flights I went on I was sick with bronchitis but my ears felt it real bad. My right ear couldn't pop and over pressurization with valsalva is sometimes dangerous. Popping by yawning is probably the safest. It took me a few hours to pop it.

I think a user here ladydi i think? got T from flying with a sinus infection.

At best you really shouldn't fly when your sick.

18. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That makes sense but the original poster makes it sound like flying without being sick is something he can no longer do. That's sad.

19. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Flying for me is a horrible experience , if I fall asleep and awake in a plane I get the worst tinnitus I have experienced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @RaZaH That's unfortunate. I really want to see your country one day.

21. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Firstly that I cant control it or lessen it - control freak
      Secondly that I cant listen to music like I used too.
      My heroes - Pink Floyd, Bowie etc now all sound odd and annoying.
      Still I guess I had 50 good years...!

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Fear of it getting worse. I've been able to cut a lot of my negative emotion by doing weekly audiographs on my tablet. There is something quite comforting when you are in the middle of a spike and can do an audiograph test and prove to yourself that no, your hearing levels aren't actually getting worse, it's just your perception in the moment.

23. rojas

rojas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/30/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So far that at times my Tinnitus seems to be gone and then comes back with a vengeance. Yesterday was a perfect example. For most of the day and evening my Tinnitus was 100% gone and silence was just that silent. Then around 8PM it came back and has not stopped.

24. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The loud high pitched tones are just horrid sounds that irritate me and keep me awake at night.
      Not being able to just relax in the quiet.
      It makes me feel terrible.

25. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I miss the ability to experience silence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I miss silence
      I can't concentrate
      People who have never had intrusive T dont understand
      The sheer unpredictability of it is overwhelming. One day acceptable. The next off the scale

I could go on, but I won't....

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Is yours maskable?

28. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      The humming at night especially if it goes pulsatile

29. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No, not at all. It's reactive to noises too. Yours?

30. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Music sounding like shit and loud environment being a no go like can't go to gigs... Even people talking loudly create distortions like an detuned radio. This sucks big time.
      T on its own would be ok...

• Like Like x 1