What Is the Loudest Thing You've Ever Heard in Your Life?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rob3r7, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Aie aie aie !

It must be real torture ! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      A concert of the BeeGees ! :D

3. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      The Mrs.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes it was low level and now it sounds like an electrical storm brewing in my head.

5. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Yes. Slayer two times! And...Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Sodom, Testament, Deicide, Sadus, Krisiun, Gorgoroth, Dark Funeral, Sepultura, Napalm Death... Thrash / Black / Death Metal bands ruin your ears without mercy.

My ears warned me several times but I kept going to concerts.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Whaou so many very loud events !!! With high-pitch sounds !

But the important thing is that you know now to avoid this kind of things... What is done is done...

You still practise music ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      I´m only a hobbie player. I play electric guitar but unplugged, LOL. Listen to music is not easy. Distorted guitars sound horrible since my T got worse. So I prefer more "soft" sounds, acoustic for example...pop songs, classical guitar interpretations.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I was standing under a flight path at JFK while a Boeing 747 flew overhead. Even though I watched its approach, it still literally shook my entire body.

9. tokyotony
      Busy

tokyotony Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some hearing loss more likely due to aging
      ...my wife yelling at me! :)

10. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      9mm pistol in my truck. Windows and doors closed. I felt rather than heard myself scream.

Second? Definitely an older type of hard-wired fire alarm. Piercing pain for the few seconds I had to take my hands off my ears to open the door to get the fuck out.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What happened?

12. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Completely unfamiliar with the firearm type and like any big brained 20 year old I thought it was the coolest shit to cock the hammer and decock with a loaded chamber. Of course, my thumb slipped off the hammer... in a car.... with the windows rolled up and doors closed.

That was October two years ago. My psychiatrist parents insisted there was nothing that could be done and by the time I made it to an ENT (three weeks later) I was given absolutely no treatment, except for the vitamin pills. It was only this week I learned that the reason I was given no help was because I was outside the "window" for prednisone, which I have felt extremely upset about at times.

I am amazed I am still alive after all this time, but I am still upset, because pretty much everyone lied to me. Sure, there were some days when it felt a lot more livable. I wasn't even on this site for about six months. But everyone said it would go away or fade, and it never really did. In fact now more than ever my hyperacusis is just terrible and following an ear infection which took over a month to resolve, a course of Z pack, two major acoustic traumas (stereo in the car, fire alarm in house) all in the last month, and my left ear feels at least 20% full much of the time, and my tinnitus has suddenly developed a squeaking sound that is so loud it can only be covered by a shower.

So yeah. Sometimes I feel like my life ended at 20 years old.

• Hug Hug x 4
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I got to an ENT 3 days after the start of my tinnitus. The ENT didn't prescribe prednisone because I burst into tears when he asked me "how are you", so I appeared to be stressed out and he felt that prednisone would add to my stress. Can you imagine?!
      Have you been on similar car rides during the first year after the onset?

14. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      I'm sorry. I know the struggle. My parents have insisted that prednisone is to blame for my anxiety and does not credit the tinnitus at all. Bear in mind I had extremely little anxiety (a little depression) before tinnitus.

Similar rides as in like the one I went on Thursday? Yes, actually, just this September. I got into the car with my brother, as I may have mentioned. Stereo was turned on with the ignition and I about jumped out of my seat. However the spike was nowhere near this bad. And the volume was way higher then.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      @RichardGuy

Always have some foam earplugs on you, because I didn’t twice two times in my life that have been life altering.

Many times I use half an earplug in each ear to take the edge off any hyperacusis, or any surprises. If you go to the grocery store, you know some goof will slam the carts... you go to the bathroom... some idiot will slam the toilet seat down. Walking around someone may honk their horn, etc. etc.

Prednisone is not a silver bullet, and is prescribed for sudden hearing loss... just because it may help, but the docs aren’t even that confident. Prednisone is pretty safe short term, so what’s the harm.

Life is about protecting yourself from the ignorance of others. The stereo doesn’t hurt most people, a MRI doesn’t hurt most people, people clanging things around doesn’t hurt most people. It hurts us... so do your best to protect yourself.

Good luck, and tomorrow may be better.

16. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      In 2016 I went to a concert for a guy called Excision (dubstep/EDM type music.) Supposedly a 150k watt performance. I was near the front as well, it was unbelievably loud, bottles at the bar had to be velcro’d down even.

Looking back I’m pretty certain that though I didn’t notice any ill effects at the time, it must have compromised my ears. The amount of people there without any ear plugs was unbelievable, I remember asking the guy next to me if he wanted any and he declined.

17. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      I would really start beating the crap out of someone if they did this to me. Good lord.

18. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've been to some loud concerts. The opening of the Black Sabbath show in 1992 was the loudest guitar sound I remember hearing--and that was AFTER I acquired Tinnitus. I was wearing plugs but I pulled them out slightly to get a taste for what it really sounded like and boy was it blasting.

The other really loud thing was an explosion in Las Vegas during that pirate show they do (or used to do) but a big part of that was the minerals in the explosion that caused such a bright flash that I literally felt heat on my skin.