What Jobs Can People with Tinnitus & Hyperacusis Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by stacey, Sep 26, 2019.

1. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all,

It's been a while. Things have gotten bad for me physically and financially. My tinnitus & hyperacusis are still bothersome and debilitating. I have been trying to live in a peaceful environment which has been near impossible. I'm trying to move to live comfortably which is difficult since with this condition I haven't been able to work. But I'm afraid at this point I need to try to work at least 15 hours a week if possible. Hopefully that with my benefits I should be a bit better. Things have been so bad that I had to sell my laptop :(.

What are jobs that we can do with this condition?

I was thinking ultrasound tech as it is quiet. However I'm not sure if there are enough jobs in this field and I don't want to waste anymore time in school.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      never trust a doctor
      Language editor (proofreader) / copywriter / translator if you know a language.

Maybe not for you, but just a few ideas. All can be done from home.

• Like Like x 4
    3. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Maybe some apprenticeship at school library, or organisation of some events, pharmacy assistant, or babysitting, some assistant or apprenticeship position in gardening and/or caring for flowers, maybe writing things for some local town newspaper could get you some money. You could definitely consider some job that requires you to prepare, plan or organize some things or events, but you wouldn't necessarily need to attend those things.

But, I would definitely hold on to any job that I get, and then I would try to sound-proof myself in one way or another, e.g. by wearing ear plugs that no one can see.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Not saying that this is the best path for everybody, but I find peace with tinnitus and solace within the ocean and therefore I am Aquaman:

Aquaman - Official Trailer 1 - Now Playing In...

• Like Like x 2
    5. Lilah
      Bashful

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Lupus
      Don't limit yourself. You can basically do all jobs except the loud ones (construction, music, certain customer service jobs) and jobs where you are responsible for someone else's life (surgeons, for ex.). Yes, I would say that most office type jobs do require a lot of concentration; do whatever you can to help you concentrate (masking, telework options if possible, etc.).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Pawel1 those are great ideas!! I am definitely gonna look into those, thank you so much.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Those ultra quiet jobs mentioned above would drive me crazy!! I want noise, not NOISE, but some kind of distracting noise. I am at my best when I'm talking and interacting with people. It takes my mind of this eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      There's a cool newsletter called Rat Race Rebellion that shares all kinds of work at home opportunities. You can Google it and subscribe on their page. Many of the jobs are probably phone work and may or may not be something you can handle, but they also have email based customer service type jobs.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Ideally you want to work from home. I myself an accountant who works from home with my own business and realised if I was working for another company I would definitely struggle with my Tinnitus

There are many accountants and book-keepers that work from home using online software. I know a lot of people who have change careers and gone into book-keeping. Its not as difficult to learn compared with other occupations

Some of my clients have just set up on Amazon FBA and doing well. Just need to find a product (s) that is Niche and if that doesn't sell then try another one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      never trust a doctor
      Do bookkeepers make a good wage? How long is the training?

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Marching band? Navy Seals? Road construction?

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You laugh, but aside from "marching band" which is a pretty hard way to make money, there are lots of people in the military and construction with tinnitus, often badly.

When you have no good choice but to continue doing something, or lose the ability to provide food and shelter for oneself, most people find a way to keep doing that, because survival is a fundamental drive for most.

I know a number ex-service guys who ended up getting partial disability for tinnitus/hearing loss after they completed their tours (heavy gunners, submarine radar headset operators, etc). I don't know anyone who tried to get a medical discharge for this during their service; I'm sure it happens, but it's not very common. It's not as though most people working construction are bored biochem degree holders exploring other options. If you are 8-years skilled as a bulldozer operator, you're making very good money doing something, with a skillset that's not really applicable to doing anything else. Tough situation.

If you're someone who's in a position to be able to decide what kind of work to do based on your shitty tinnitus -- well, you're really unlucky to have the shitty tinnitus, but also pretty privileged to be able to make the choice. This very much applies to me, at present, and I try hard to remember to be consciously grateful for that every day.

• Winner Winner x 2
    13. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Yes Book-keeper do very well in the UK, I have come quite a few recently only started a couple years ago and already taking on staff (doing better than me). They charge around £15-£25 an hour. Don't even need a formal qualification

A couple just changed careers and not even had any experience in book-keeping though they might have had some finance experience

Book-keeping is not difficult nowadays due to software and is just common sense. I have trained my clients with a few hours training. If you are fairly numerical and have some IT skills then you should be okay. There are book-keeping courses online

Everyone has a skill they can sell. They just need to learn how to market and sell that skill (as well as enjoy the work this is important). I wouldn't recommend doing something where the money is good but you do not enjoy.

One Caveat the market is getting saturated due more people choosing Accountancy as a career and technology advances reducing the demand for accountants/book-keepers. In a competitive market I have been fortunate to find a niche which has helped my business grow. If you are able to find a niche in any field that you should do well.

14. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I agree with you. Yet, let's remember that Tinnitus sound itself is not the only problem in having Tinnitus. There are many unfavorable things that accompany the bearers of Tinnitus, for example - some sleepless nights, being unable to cope with very stressful situations, etc. Let's be honest, being a Tinnitus sufferer, is sometimes enough for someone to just have a hard day, without even going to work. Being a relatively sensitive person, I wouldn't set my professional goals too high, but that's just me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. quietmedic

quietmedic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma + Car horn
      People keep repeating that, but I have searched, and searched, and searched, and searched, and can find absolutely no reputable jobs in proofreading, and no copywriting jobs except for those with many, many years of solid journalism or corporate writing experience. And I'm near a major city. Seems like another dead end. Same with technical writing... Extremely difficult to break into, very few jobs and all of them are office-based.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      College professor.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Eric N

Eric N Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I'm a web developer and I work from home, my room is my entire universe now, it's my work area, my rest area, my entertainment area. I hardly go out of the house anymore :(

18. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You point this out yourself, so I'm thinking you're not totally happy with your current situation?

I'm also looking for a change of job but it's hard diving into the unknown when you have a family to support and no guarantee of making it work...

I haven't tried but I think working from home would make me notice my tinnitus more and drive me nuts, although I would have to try to know for sure. Are the people working from home using any masking or mental trick?