What Next? Hearing Perfectly Fine. Vitamin B12 Deficiency.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinizzy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys. Today I went to my ENT and my hearing turns out to be perfectly fine.

Also had a bloodtest done and appears that I have a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I'm hoping to get some relief through injections. Anyone knows about this being possible?

I feel so confused right now.

Also I've been talking about it with a lot of friends and many of them also could hear a ringing/high tone when listening for it. Why can't I also only hear it when listening for it? I don't understand.

Kind regards, Tinizzy

2. Amit73

Amit73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi
      I am in the same boat and just finished a two weeks injection course (B12 - Cyanocbalmin). So far no improvement.
      How did it work out with you?

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone with B12 deficiency, did you find you T improve after taking b12 supplements? I've been taking 1000 Mcg supplements for about 6 weeks, and so far no difference.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      if the test was only up to 8khz and you have hearing damage above that then the test won't show it.

an 8khz hearing test is like half of the spectrum that we can hear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That is technically true, but quite misleading as it makes it sound like we are only hearing "half of what's out there".

Your typical hearing test samples at 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz, 4000 Hz, 8000 Hz. These numbers aren't random: they double each time. That means that each slice from one sample to the next represents exactly an octave. That's because it represents our hearing more faithfully: we hear logarithmically. So the samples listed above cover 5 octaves.

When we miss the 8 kHz to 16 kHz range, we are missing 1 octave. We sample 5, we miss 1. Not exactly "half". When you take one octave out of your 88 key piano, you don't end up with a half sized keyboard with 44 keys.

Oddly enough, even though you focused on the high end of the spectrum for your statement, it turns out that if we extend the octave explanation to the bottom end of the spectrum, you do end up "unintentionally right": we could add lower end octaves by sampling at 125 Hz, 62.5 Hz, 31.25 Hz (anything lower is supposedly outside of the human range), giving us 3 more octaves, for a total of 4 missing octaves (3 at the bottom, 1 at the top). That means we're getting 5 octaves out of 9, which ends up close to "half of our hearing".

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      How does this add up with how hair cells detect sound? The tonal audiogram still is and always will be laughably invalid.

Have you even read Liberman's research on hidden hearing loss? That would also strongly suggest hearing health being centric to how well one hears in complex background noise as opposed to pure tones.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My post is completely unrelated to that.

My post is also completely unrelated to that.

I simply talk about the fallacy that consists of looking at the hearing test spectrum in raw Hertz numbers rather than a logarithmic scale which is more representative of human hearing. I make no comments or implications about the validity of such test.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes, but the goal of the test is to determine if the cochlea is damaged and apparently that only can be done through rigorous testing.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's not the only goal of the test.

Acing the test doesn't mean your cochlea is perfect, but if the test shows hearing loss, then you know there are issues. It's the difference between a necessary condition and a sufficient condition. More info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessity_and_sufficiency

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      I've been taking b12 and b complex for about 2 weeks now. It seems to be helping with the volume and annoyance factor coming down quite a bit. I'm close to being a vegetarian, so might be deficient.
      I'll keep on taking the supplements while I see an improvement.
      BTW most studies indicate it doesn't work...

11. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hope it works for you...Over two months, I took b12 supplements and my figures increased from 283 pg/ml to 650, and my T has not improved.