What Pain Reliever Should I Take for Hyperacusis Pain?

Discussion in 'Support' started by stacey, May 11, 2019.

1. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My hyperacusis is very bad right now. My ear feels super full and inflamed :(

What pain reliever should I take that isn't ototoxic? Or at least less ototoxic than others?

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Ototoxic pain killers for cochlear neuropathy a match made in heaven. Not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You could at least suggest something for her to try, too?

Try a web search for natural pain killers and natural pain relief.

That's what I did. Might be a long shot since it needs to get to the ear somehow. But, it is worth a try considering the alternatives are not preferable.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Tell a doctor you believe the noise induced burning pain and chronic ear pain is peripheral neuropathy and see what options you have.

5. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      I take Tylenol frequently (migraines) and have never had a problem with it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I honestly don't know of any over the counter painkillers that aren't ototoxic. I've asked a doctor this myself for alternatives and he looked at me funny. I avoid NSAIDs like the plague now. But every once and a while I get a really bad headache and it just won't go away until I take an ibuprofen. In that case I just take one tablet. Still spikes tinnitus, but not as badly.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Tylenol is supposed to be the least ototoxic painkiller...

• Informative Informative x 2
    8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is that rhetorical? Any ideas what they might be?

9. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Since a lot of what we experience is due to inflammation, any natural substance that is anti-inflammatory might be helpful. Things like strong ginger tea with lemon juice are calming and may also help reduce inflammation? Vitamin C (in lemon) is also an antioxidant, which helps against acoustic trauma.

• Like Like x 3
    10. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Ginger and garlic tea made from real ingredients in the morning. Really good anti-inflammatory.

No salt... sorry, but no sweets. Only healthy veg and fish and fruits.

Valium or a benzo for nerves for 3 weeks max.

That's my opinion, and only from my experience.

Super good diet, avoid any noise, and hold on for dear life...it should go into remission...

Try the anti-inflammatory diet, another sean has said diet has really helped with his hypercusis... avocados, salmon, squash, almonds... have really helped me.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

• Like Like x 4
    11. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Those are good suggestions. Better than pills. Pills don't do much anyway.

12. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I consume gabapentin 300mg x2 everyday but that's only for my burning constant pain which I think it's some sort of trigeminal neuralgia. I don't have any improvement in my LDL whatsoever.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. KF81

KF81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bedroom Dj'ing Using Headphones (Cheap Ones)
      Do ototoxic drugs only affect some people and not others? I have been taking Ibuprofen thinking that it could be helpful as it is an anti-inflammatory. I have also been taking Paracetamol...

Cheers...

14. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I just thought I should throw this in.

My tinnitus is bad, probably 7 out of 10. Always intrusive and unrelenting. The last month my hypercusis has gotten worse, pain hypercusis. Clicking in my bad ear, ear fullness, sounds hurt. Even speaking hurts because of occlusion.

I went to the pharmacy and scored some Valium yesterday. I downed 40 milligrams, which is a lot, last night. I must say I have a very high tolerance to drugs, little amounts don't really do much for me. This morning my tinnitus is down to a 2, and hyperacusis is gone. I will do this for two more days and then go 1 month without as I don't want to be addicted to benzos. They affect my exercise and life in general in ways I don't want. Having said that........they work.

Valium absolutely works for me, but it's not a sustainable drug for me to take. Once a month, I get a holiday from the agony. This has been my experience and it is not a placebo.

Post note... I still eat my good foods and down ginger. But the hyperacusis was killing me. Maybe there are drugs in the future that could help us.

15. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I get pain in my ear, jaw and even tongue after exposure above my LDL.

Does the gabapenin affect that pain as well in your case? (Do you also get lower pain after expousre)

16. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Johan_L

Gabapentin helped me to reduce the burning pain in general, not only after sounds above LDL. I have had burning pain in my ears for 6 months, and all of that started 2 months after I developed hyperacusis. At the beginning I would only have stabbing knife pain right after being exposed to sounds. Most of the time my ears get irritated if I press them against a pillow, or put earplugs inside them, or if hot water goes inside my ears canal, or if I switch from cold to hot environment etc. I do also have burning pain alongside the stabbing knife pain right after I hear some sounds instantly which is a common thing to a lot of people who have hyperacusis, however, in my case the only difference is that in the last couple of months I have had burning pain all the time no matter what but all the things that I mentioned would make my burning pain even worse.

I suspect that I have geniculate neuralgia alongside my hyperacusis. I'm still not pain free but before I started with gabapentin I would rate my pain as 5/10 on my "good days" and 8/10 or even sometimes 10/10 on my bad days. After 1 month of taking gabapentin I would rate my pain as 3/10 on good days and 6/10 on my bad days. I don't have improvement in my LDL whatsoever.

Do you only have burning pain after you hear some sounds louder than your LDL or do you have it all the time? The burning pain that you describe that spreads into your jaw and tongue is common example of trigeminal neuralgia. I think you would benefit from gabapentin, you should give it a chance and see what happens. Talk with your neurologist and explain him your symptoms.

17. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      From your mouth to G-D's ears! Please find a relief for all illness!

• Like Like x 1
    18. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Alcohol works better than anything for this shit. Sucks, but it's true.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have it most of the time, and it is increased after noise expousure. It started out as pure loudness hyperacusis, but hte last couple of months the pain has become more constant. I also have troubles sleeping with my bad ear on the pillow.

I might try gabapentin, but my doctor suggests other drugs such as SNRIs might be useful for nerve pain (Venflaxine/Duloxetine). Have you tried those?.

20. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Can't handle the hangovers anymore. Back to drugs.

21. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Johan_L Your ear pain originally happened only after being exposed to sounds? But a few months later you developed constant burning pain? Do you also have earache, like your ears have some sort of infection?

Your situation is almost identical to mine. At first I would only get pain after I hear some sounds. But 2 or 3 months after that I developed some burning pain and earache which was not so strong in the beginning but progressed to being 24/7 every day. The earache irritation is same in both ears and the burning pain is much stronger in my right ear. I have had burning pain all the time along with the stabbing pain after I hear some sounds :( Whenever I put earplugs in my ears the burning pain will increase even more or if I press my ears on the pillow, touch them or hot water reaches my eardrum. Luckily for me, gabapentin helped me to reduce that burning pain. I take it every day 300mg x2 combined with amitriptyline 10mg 2x.

Your doctor is right, some kind of antidepressants are being used for managing pain but I think they alone would not be enough as you would need to combine them with Gabapentin or Tegretol. Maybe you should start with a low dose of both Gabapentin and some SNRI and see what happens. I feel your pain, you don't need to suffer every day. Gabapentin or Tegretol can give you some side effects but only if you take them in large doses, you shouldn't have any side effects from low doses. Also you can make a hole in your pillow large enough so that you can fit your ears inside the hole to avoid increasing the burning pain.

This is image from my pillow.

pillow.jpg

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    22. Stu1983
      Studious

Stu1983 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Around 2008/spiked 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2008 sound/2018 Meds made the volume several times worse
      @Daniel Lion
      Hey bro I hope you're well. Can you please send me a PM? I visit South East Asia every year and have some questions.

23. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For the last month my hyperacusis has been getting worse and worse and my tinnitus climbing up to a 7 or 8. Noises, birds were hurting me. Cracking in my ears.

Finally succumbed, downed 40 milligrams of Valium.
      Hyperacusis almost gone, tinnitus down significantly.

I have brain damage that affects my muscles and stuff in the inner ear.

I’ll binge for another day and then go a month dry.
      Benzos affect my exercise regime, but they work a charm done sparingly.

Just thought I would mention it.

Was reading up on the hyperacusis forum and Dr. Silverstein's round window surgery in Florida.
      Hyperacusis is debilitating, worse than tinnitus in many ways.

Oh well, just reporting in.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Daniel Lion -- Is THIS the hyperacusis forum you're referencing? If not, could you leave a link for the one you were referring to? -- Thanks, and thanks for reporting in.

25. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      That website is censored. My friend who is a journalist showed me examples of how they censored users who tried to post anti TRT comments.

26. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Lane,
      Sorry for not getting back sooner.
      I forgot what forum.
      Sorry.
      Could have been hyperacusisfocus.org. Not sure.

I have a feeling this surgery, Silverstein, would help me one day.
      My case history, symptoms etc.
      Gonna lay low for a few years.
      See ya.

• Like Like x 1